Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2581401 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Jeb and Dash
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 10:26:32 pm »
In my life prior to  Brokeback Mountain there was Jeb and Dash. It has been the story I have lived with for several years now, and one I want the world to know about.

In 1965 Ina Russell buried her beloved batchelor uncle. An excentric little man who lived in an ungodly cluttered apartment in Washington, DC's Adams-Morgan area. When his will was read, he left her his diary, and the fire proof cabinet it was stored in. What he left her was more than a book, it was a life unto itself.

Between 20 January 1912 and 14 August 1964, uncle had written ten of thousands of pages of his everyday existance.  Begining with the weather, and ending with the time and temperature, this man told his life story in installments. She opened the books, looking for confirmation of what she already knew. Her uncle was a homosexual.

Inspite of the risk, this little man admitted in writing that he was attracted to men. He wrote of his painful search for a "kindred spirit" in the streets and parks of the nations capitol. He wrote of his sucesses, and more often his failures. He wrote of the theatrical performances and movies he saw, the trips to Europe, his adoration for Woodrow Wilson, the young man on the street car, the quest for booze in the days of prohibition, the friend who returned from Florida with "Marajuana cigarettes".

While residing at the YMCA on "G" Street, NW, he met the love of his life. One evening he knocked on a friends door and an unfamilar voice bade him come it, and it was all over. He fell, head over heels, in love with a young man from Tennessee who had just got off the train. Thus was born "Jeb and Dash".

It would be more than 20 years before his the words of the flustrated aspiring author would see the light of day. In the late 1980's, Ina Russell knew the time had come, and to the fire proof cabinet she went. She open those books and like film running thru the sprokets of a movie projector, a world opened up again. The pavement of Washington, D.C. receeded and the wildflowers bloomed. Men appeared in the street with hats and never took off their ties. Her uncle fell in loved, and in a few short months, had his heart broken into a million pieces.

He never recovered from it.

Dash, the fictional name his amour was given, was not one to settle down. He was more the social butterfly who came to view "Jeb" as a ball and chain. They would never have a secluded mountain top, or the deserted tropical island Jeb imagined for them. The did have an on going friendship that lasted until Jebs death some 30 years later. They had drunken parties, they had uncountable breakfasts, lunches and dinners, they had the crushing mob of people outside the gates of the White House on VJ day. There were dreams that would not die.

The diary, became his surrogate. It was who he told how his day went because no one was there to tell it to, because he would not let anyone else in. Maybe oneday, his Dash would return. He never did.

Eighteen months she labored with tiny hand writing about as legible as sanskit to a blind person. In the end she had two hundred pages that covered twenty-seven years. Beyond that, was the nothingness, the grieving plane, the story whose end she already knew. In a series of strokes, in a pittiful decline and burial in just outside the district line.

Her family was scandalized that she would publish "Jeb and Dash, Diary of a Gay Life, 1918-1945" (Faber and Faber, 1993). She went to Washington for a booksigning the next spring, her uncles only surviving sibbling stood in line and got his copy, and rush home to learn who his brother was.

I read the book and was moved by it. I wanted to know more, I wanted to know who these men were. I wanted to uncover their psyudeonyms, wanted to learn what had happened to the others, something Ina did not know when she published the book.

I did not know the real life Jeb had left his papers to his alma mater. The person who wrote the description of said papers for their website probably had not read Jeb and Dash, (or maybe they knew just what they were doing) and gave so many details about him I recognized him, sitting alone in my ungodly cluttered house in front of my desk top. It scared me to death. I looked over my shoulder to see if anyone was looking. He has been there ever since. A little man in a coat and tie.

Two and a half years later, sitting in a Subway resturant in Boulder, Colorado, having read the diaries myself, trying to get some sense of what it all ment, I tell Ina Russell I felt she had redeamed her uncles life. She had took his story and made sense of it to the world, had changed the direction of my path and many others. She took that with the grain of salt I offered with it.

And me, I try to write in my journal every day. I try to take it to the next level. I make it my mission that Jeb and Dash, and all those men and women are not forgotten. I go on line an buy used copies of his book, and I give the to anyone and everyone I think will read it. If you'd like a copy, email me, I'll send you one.   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:47:21 pm by shakestheground »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 10:43:54 pm »
I'm ejoying your writing mate.  Thankyou.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

vkm91941

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 04:36:23 pm »
shakestheground thank you for sharing the story of Jeb and Dash, you have intrigued me....I'm headed as soon as this posts to my favorite on line used book retailer to see if I can get a copy of that remarkable story.  My Mother had a uncle in North Carolina who is the spitting image of the man you so eloquently describe.  I only knew Great Uncle Hardy briefly in my childhood but always remember him fondly as a dapper little man with a wry wit and a charming smile, but the saddest and loneliest eyes I have ever seen.

gattaca

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 09:47:03 pm »
Thank you for sharing this with us - my hands are shaking a little as I type this.

• BetterMost Supporter!
"A Committee"
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 03:11:24 pm »
Yesterday was 6-6-06, time for Hollywood to realease another "Omen" movie, time for doom sayers to pick another date that things will end.

Cruising thru the postings on Bettermost.com I came across one made by gattaca, and notice his signature line:
"God is actually a committee of small blue parakeets that intended to do a better job with the universe, but got distracted by their image in the mirror, and forgot."

I liked to have fell plumb out. Such an on target observation, and beautiful metaphor for creation, a modern creation story I can relate to. Having been raised on the notion of an all powerful god who exists as a seperate being from the world, who is perfect and knows everything, it was a long trip to my present belief that all things are a part of god, that if god were to look in a mirror, that being would see the outside world. That would distract me. The idea of god being less than perfect is like relaxing my shoulders at the end of telephone call at work that went on too long.

So I copied and pasted his line to a few friends under the subject line: "Thought for the day 6-6-06" and got responces from them of appreciation.

In the evening I went home, made an attempt at the yard and settled down with my copy of Annie Proulx's Postcards. (stange story about that book, I was on the phone telling my partner I wanted to read it and looked up on the shelf and saw I possesed a copy, inherited from my sister some years ago) Loyal Blood was someplace outwest, prospecting for Uranium when the call came.

High up in the Damson tree, a bird I could not id, a parakeet looking little yellow bird lit and started calling, in responce, a bunch of squawking, and here came the Titmice, tiny little birds with tufted heads, hopping, jumping, flitting from limb to limb. They would change direction with the blink of an eye. They came across the branches to where I sat, fearlessly, about ten of them. They took turns it seemed, one or two of them come within 4 feet of my head, bellering to high heaven. I thought maybe they had a nest nearby and I should move, but when I did they stood right there, in their ritual. I sat back down and watched them, gradually they moved on to the Pear tree, to the Redbud tree, squawking and chattering all the way.

I says to myself: "Now, that is a committee!"

This morning I go back and check to see what new has been posted on bettermost and I saw that gattaca had made a responce to an earlier post of mine, then I did plumb fall out. When I see something like this happen and it just connects and connects, I say to myself: "Yes, this is the right path".

Have  a Nice Day.

gattaca

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 03:24:07 pm »
I forget where I got that tagline from, but I've used it for years (probably almost as long as I've been dabbling on the Internet).
I was raised Congregationalist (a sort of casual Lutheran; a New England variant - after all, I'm a Boston boy originally) sans the fire & brimstone of the Calvinists). but I have seen enough and lived enough to bring about a sea-change to my Christian upbringing. There a measure of serendipity to our existence (have I become an agnostic? Not quite yet) and I can easily imagine a troupe of small, chattery parakeets having the power of creation, and then forgetting exactly why they did that.

They're incapable of evil acts.

Thank you for the anecdote. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:00:57 pm by gattaca »

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "A Committee"
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 03:55:21 pm »

This morning I go back and check to see what new has been posted on bettermost and I saw that gattaca had made a responce to an earlier post of mine, then I did plumb fall out. When I see something like this happen and it just connects and connects, I say to myself: "Yes, this is the right path".

Have  a Nice Day.

Tru - this is beyond wonderful.  Thank you.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

• BetterMost Supporter!
Is Everything "Broken"?
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 02:30:30 pm »
 ;D

I have been watching Lonesome Dove the past few days. I remember when it came out (17 year ago!) and think now: "why was I so close minded in my youth? I would not watch this because it was all the rage" I have throughly enjoyed the first DVD, and am waiting on netflix to send me the next one. There is a good interview with Larry McMurtry at the end, it seems very amaturish, which I like. He is just like the plainest person you could ever encounter. If I an into him in a hardware store i would never have guessed he was one of the screenwriters of BBM.

The interview with the producer, a beautiful lady whose name I think is Suzanne DePriest, you can tell the whole time she is choking back emotion. I know where she is coming from. Daily my eyes water when my mind just thinks about most anything, certainly Jack and Ennis, but most everthing I feel deeper than I did last year. 

I think Robert Duvall's Gus is probably his best performance. He makes me happy just to look at him. You can imagine my surprise when I saw basically the same character appear on TBS in an ad for a new western miniseries or movie. Robert Duvall is appearing in a production called <<get this>> BROKEN TRAIL. What an interesting name. I wonder where they came up with that. Is it "code" for something, are they trying to ride on Brokeback coat tails? I will probably be watching.

gattaca

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 02:36:56 pm »
 :D

Now I'm gonna have to put Lonesome Dove in my Netflix queue - that's another one I managed to miss...

• BetterMost Supporter!
Today's Trip to the Soapbox:
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 10:04:17 am »

An Open Letter to annieproulx.com:

Please bring back the forum. I know you have been saying you were gone switch servers and bring it back, and I imagine you might have been a bit overwelmed by the responce once Brokeback Mountian was released as a film. Who knew the tital wave of comment it would foster. Who knew they was gone be so many hateful people out there with computors.

"The Trolls" they were known by on the yahoo list. They are still there, always will be. Anonymous in their attach, vanishing like some vague southwestern apparition I have long forgot the name for. There is some serious hate going on out there still, but it probably worries me less than at any  other time in my life.

And all people wanted to talk about was the movie. Forget the story, or the other stories, the books. People just wanted to talk about that movie and maybe compare it to "The Shipping News" movie, ocassionally the book. Those discussions were better played out in other forums.

You promote the author, her writing, and a discussion thereof. I hope this word will reach you: lets give it a go again, please. There was some good discussions going on, if you hunted for them.I learned about a great book: Native, by William Heywood Henderson. Some lush language there. The guy that recommended it "Tiawahillbilly" me thinks, never got to tell him thank you.

Since January of this year I have not only read Brokeback Mountain, but all of the Wyoming Stories. I am closing in on the last parts of Postcards and I'd like for there to be some place where I could ask others their opinions of Loyal Blood. I'd like to ask what language Jewel was speaking in when she told Mernelle how her grandfather counted to twenty. Do these people have an aboriginal connection to the land?

So please consider it, I think there are others here who could fund a discussion.