Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2528853 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 10:21:50 am »
Good points. WHH has a new book out: Augusta Locke. It will be the next book I buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670034916/104-5766778-2158315?v=glance&n=283155
"chewing gum and duct tape"

gattaca

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 01:34:02 pm »
I would also very much like to see the forum revived at annieproulx.com. I never had a chance to see the original forum.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Take care of Jesus's Mamma
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 05:26:21 pm »
I try to exercize, mostly by going to a walking trail behind the county administration building, 8/10's of a mile of winding asphalt built on a former landfill. If I miss a month or two going there I can detect the undulation of the ground settling.

Part of the trail winds behind the county jail.  On a hill above the exercize yard there is a dual cain link fence, topped by razor wire. In the space betwixt the two fences the sherriffs department has stored all manner of recovered property, mostly four wheelers and gas grills, and right by the gate, a couple of concrete lawn statues: Mary, the Virgin Mother of God, and a nameless Lawn Jockey. They has stayed there for years, arranged so the jockey's out stretched arm reaches out to Mary, as if he is comforting her in their confinement.

The other day I passed and looked over there and saw them differently. This time the jockey became Jack and Mary became Ennis, they were by a fire and Jack was tugging at Ennis's ear. How fast do tears come to your eyes? Mine have become like a light switch, one that comes on easy, but you have to fiddle with it to turn it off. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

gattaca

Re: Take care of Jesus's Mamma
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 07:47:16 am »
The other day I passed and looked over there and saw them differently. This time the jockey became Jack and Mary became Ennis, they were by a fire and Jack was tugging at Ennis's ear. How fast do tears come to your eyes? Mine have become like a light switch, one that comes on easy, but you have to fiddle with it to turn it off. 

Sometimes it hits with no warning (or so it seems to me). On my way home two days ago, I drove by an intersection with a small cluster of houses and there was a man in a light jacket wearing a Stetson and boots who was fiddling with the mailbox in front of his house and I immediately teared-up thinking of Ennis and how the hell are you supposed to drive when tears spring up like that?

• BetterMost Supporter!
Tears
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2006, 09:15:33 pm »
How are you supposed to drive? Or carry on a conversation? Or think clearly about anything when your heart and mind is raw from being confronted with such greif?

I do occassionally make light of it, the other niight I was thinking about changing my profile, adding a picture of Ennis when he tells jack "You know I ain't queer" and changing my signature line to" "You know I can't spel".

• BetterMost Supporter!
Postcards
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 10:28:49 am »
I finished reading Annie Proulx's Postcards yesteday. It was a hard read for me. I get the sense she goes into a trance and writes sometimes, I have to go back repeatedly to reread what she has written, to get the full meaning of a sentance.

The story is about the Blood family of Creme Hill, Vermont, and how their world unravells. The eldest son, Loyal Blood, accidently kills his girlfriend, I never picked up on what happened but I think they were having sex in the woods. He goes into a self imposed exile, heads west into a lonely world of isolation and stange characters. When the book ended I felt cold and alone, and aching for Loyal Blood as I have ached for Ennis. Proulx really seems to understand the isolation of those who don't fit in society, and when you get right down to it, no one does.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 11:06:56 am »
I also read Postcards several years ago and it had a strong effect on me. I particularly liked the mother and was moved by how she died. It was a gripping portrayal of the Depression and helped me understand people who have been through that. I'll never forget Loyal's last post card, "Hoofing it."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

gattaca

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 12:49:10 pm »
I haven't yet read Postcards and now I will have to read it. :)

From your interpretation of her prose, it seems to me that it might read a little like Burroughs (that's William S. and not Edgar Rice) who was an icon of the Beat generation and who also had an intimate understanding of exclusion and self-imposed exile.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 09:16:54 am »
That is an interesting comparisson, I think you may be right, but I think Proulx had a clearer mind when she wrote. The beats, I have no ability to read them, I find myself overwelmed by the words. Now I can listen to them being read on a CD, driving down the road, that is how I listened to "On the Road". My partner read me "Howl" the night after Burroughs died, in 1997, I think. It was profound, I should go back and see if I can read it now.

gattaca

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2006, 09:30:24 am »
That is an interesting comparisson, I think you may be right, but I think Proulx had a clearer mind when she wrote.

Oh - I'm quite sure that Annie had a MUCH clearer mind when she wrote than did Burroughs! I can relate to both however. Annie pulls at my heartstrings, and Burroughs forces me to remember my addictions. At one time, I was convinced that the way to my heart was through Schedule 1 and 2 controlled substances.  :-\