Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2592310 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 09:24:27 am »
"Emotional healing, renewal, regeneration and the release of some disappointment, giving way to the feeling of pleasure."

These are not my words, but maybe words for you?
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 08:34:25 pm »
Thank you friend, as "Mrs. Fanooken" would tell Frank McCourt in Angela's Ashes:

"Those are powerful words"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
Jack Nasty goes to the Airport
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 09:03:14 pm »
Greetings from Buffalo, Wyoming !!!

It has been an exceedingly wonderful day, beging with a wake up call at 5 am eastern time. I drove the two hours from my house to Charlotte, North Carolina last night and stayed at the Microtel to make getting on the plane at 8:44 am.

Arriving at the terminal with my bags and my "Jack Nasty" Ball cap I was met by an unbelievably long line. I fell in at the end, chatted with 4 other travellers, all headed for Detroit. I adopted the cattle attitude. I reasoned that if the passangers are treated like cattle, hurded and packed in and shipped out, why not adopt a cows mentality. "It's cool, we'll all get there". It worked well for me.

I was surprised to encounter my insurance agent at the head of the line, her flight cancelled, headed for Casper. I shouldn't be surprised, stuff like that is always happening to me.

Neither of my flights were with a window, I read over a hunderd pages of Annie Proulx's Accordian Crimes, a terrific book of sequential stories all tied together by an accordian. Very readable.

Arriving in Billings, Montana at 1 pm local time I procured a Nissan Altima, wished everyone a wonderful day, yipped and carried on out of the parking lot and set off on the roughly 175 mile trip to Buffalo, Wyoming. I stopped at an IGA grocery at the adge of the Indian Reservation and loaded up on necessities, (water, beer, bananas, and windex). The cashier was a young native American girl who was new on the job. I think I was the thrid person she rung up. She apologized for how long it took. I told her it was no problem, it was an honor.

Beautiful country, just jaw dropping. Spped limit is 75 mph and really no traffic to speak of. The skies full of billowy clouds and land, lots of land rolling out as far as the eye can see.

I think I am the first to check in, I have not yet met anyone else from the group. This is a nice, circa 1952 log construction motel they gurantee postage for any of their lost keys, just drop in any mail box.   

gattaca

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 09:33:40 pm »
I'm glad you got there safe and sound. You know we're all hanging on the edges of our chairs for details of your experiences! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2006, 08:30:14 pm »
I hope you are having a great time there. I am kicking myself for not going but I ended up having to work both Friday and Saturday. I thought of you as I was going home from work at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday; there was a pounding hailstorm and I'm surprised my car was not damaged! But I'm in Colorado and hopefully it is peaceful there in Wyoming. Enjoy your roaming in Wyoming.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2006, 08:55:36 pm »
Can't wait to hear the news of your journey upon your return, friend.

C
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

• BetterMost Supporter!
The Zig-Zag road to Lightnin' Flat
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2006, 07:51:17 am »
Friday morning, still on east coast time, I rise at 5:30 AM, I feel a sense of urgency for the day to start, to not miss a thing. Presently the four of us: Joe, Judy, Wayne and myself pile into Joe's rented Impala for the ride downtown to Tom's Main Street Diner, a tiny little place where they will warn you how big the portions are and offer half portions if you like. The bacon was straight off the hog, homestyle.

Returning to the Z-Bar Motel to gather our belongings we were approached by a young woman who asked Judy if she were in cabin 21. Judy thought she was there to fix the phone, that rang all night with people calling the front desk looking for a room. Wrong. She was "I am Mouk", known to us from the Yahoo board. This French woman from Alsace, now living in England, had just two day earlier been in Namibia. She has flown half way around the planet to be here, and we almost missed her. She had arrived in Billings late the night before and stayed there and drove over in the morning light. She offered to follow us to Lighning Flat. "No way", we were all piling in that Impala, it holds 5.

The drive down I-90 to Gillette was spent primarily in discussion of Brokeback, prompted by some responce someone gave in the form of dialogue from the movie. Here five people who had never met before, drawn together by a story of the consequences of rural homophobia unloaned on one another what up till then they had only an internet board to post on. Ocassionally we caught the scenery, the abundant Antelope we say all day, and a few deer to play with them. The ocassional oil pump, slowly bleeding the world dry. My on tears slowly starting to drain me as we talk, I am glad I have brought along water.

In Gillette we gassed up and stopped next door at a farm supply place that advertized a new shipment of Wrangler shirts. Had to have one. The first one I saw reminded me of Ennis's shirt, Wayne found him a denim one, Judy a disposable camera, Mouk a jar of Almonds, Joe a relief driver.

"You finding everything allright?" I was asked by a female clerk. We engaged in conversation a good five minutes, she asking where we were all from and why we were visiting.

I told her we were on the trail of Brokeback Mountain, and did so gingerly.

"That was filmed up in Canada" she said.

"Yeah, but Lightning Flat is here." I told her. We talked a while longer and all the clerks were wishing us a good day when we left.

We continued up Rt. 16 a ways, missing the turn off for state road 59 while gawking at the open faced coal mine. I had no idea this area produced coal. It is quite a big deal. We doubled back and headed up the paved road to the National Grass Lands, missing the turn onto the gravel road that lead to Rocky Point. While pulled over to let a HUGE piece of equiptment, like a giant diesel generator pass on a flat bed truck we chanced to consult the maps again and realized we needed to go back. We were being looked after well.

The country side was wide open, rolling and rich. So green, greenish yellow, we past well maintained modern looking ranches infrequently with old car tires painted "No Tresspassing", signs that read "No Hunters Wanted, Don't Even Ask". We crossed numerous cattle grates and encountered several free range calfs standing in the middle of the road, taking off when we inched close enough. Both Cows and Calfs were branded, something I'd never seen in real life.  Some sixty miles total on the best maintained gravel road I have ever seen. Our conversation continually peppered with with lines from the movie, we could make a whole conversation out of Brokebackspeak.

The countryside gave over to cultivation, huge round and rectangular bales of hay. The area betwixt the fields and the road a wash in Mustard, Cone Flower, Lupine. The Antelope herds growing in number and frequency. We encountered two vechiles and a grading machine the whole time on the gravel. It is not the poor, rough county I expected, it is still early in the season.

Reaching the community of Rocky Point we came upon the Rocky Point Cemetary, the only indication the place had a name. We had to stop, photograph the plot, the tired American flag flapping in the breeze. I produced a prayer tie from the trunk and fixed it to the fence, with my prayers for healing to be caried away on the wind. This was just the kind of place Jack's ashes would have gone into. We are quoting from memory now the passages in the story that describe the family plot, it faded plastic flowers and Ennis not wanting to think Jack was going in there. From that 90 degree angle at the entrance the road began its zigzag meandering toward our destination. Indentified in our Wyoming Gazettier at the "Rocky Point and Ridge Road", we meanered back and forth, like a cutting horse, past the Rocky Point Community Center, an abandoned looking prefab metal building with matching prefab metal out house, grounds choked with weeds, forlorn looking kids playground, long unused, one of those accordian looking white wedding bell decoration hung in the window for god knows how long.

I asked my travelling companions this question: "What does this story mean?" Judy asked me "Why are we here?" Yes, that was at least part of it, why were five people who had never met each other in this car headed to a ghost town where a fictional character never lived. The answer Wayne offered: because in this story something wrong happened. Because we cannot accept what happened to Jack and Ennis, we cannot stand it, and we will do anything to try and fix it. We discussed the hordes of fan fiction out there, where people pick up on a certain point in Proulx's story and carry it off into an alternate universe. Suddenly the closing of the story became a challenge from Proulx herself. There was no sign to tell us we had crossed into Crook County.

Up ahead a tank sat on the hill, a big white tank, be it for water or petrolium I don't know, and off to our right, a big old abandoned, unpainted house on a slight rise. It was a stunning sight, and we admired it more and more as we approached, almost did not notice the small white and green sign tacked to a fence post: "Entering Montana". Ah hell, we had made it. We were in Lighning Flat. We pulled into the road leading to the old house and stepped from the Impala into a place, to paraphraise Proulx: "Some where between what we knew and what we believed".

The house bore a resemblence to the Twist home, there was a piece of farm equiptment parked there, the remains of several collapsed buildings, the barn, a shed. Had Proulx herself been to this place, beheld this sight, or perhaps Ang Lee, or one of his scouts? We took group picture after group picture of ourselves with this foresaken relic in the back ground. The air and the sun were perfect, the sound was quiet, except for a breeze and the birds.

We started for the house, the ruts of the old road disclosing the bones of antelope, the over grown yard a mine field of old boards, junk, car parts, and old metal bedspring frame covered a 20 foot deep, dry, cistern. Judy was hesitant about going thru the weeds, but I took her hand and told her she had come too far to stop now. Why any of us thought going into the old place was a good idea, I dunno, but we did. A grand old place, bay windows not one pane left anywhere. Roof gone, floors in many places gone. Bird nests, cow dung, a skeleton in the closet, I think it was an Antelope. Not one wire, not one bit of plumbing had ever been in the place "in its life". The steps to the second floor were partly gone, it did not stop all of us from climbing to the second floor, all so oddly and errily familar until I realized I had seen this sceen a dozen times: it was the same as Ennis clibing the steps to Jack's room. The view out the empty windows I now recognized, it was the same greiving plain you see when Ennis shuts the door on the shirts, and the screen goes dark.

Outside swallows buzzed around the house, outside had once been a town with a post office and a newspaper. Here a family had lived, a large one maybe. Maybe they were buired down the road in the Rocky Point Cemetary, all its internees perhaps some extended family.  Here someone had affixed something to the wall with a straight pin, whatever it was had long since vanished from the earth. We were perhaps the last visitors the place might every receive. Far to the south we saw a storm appraching, was treated to a display of Lightning in Lightning Flat. A place more ghost than town.

I collected the bones from the road, a handful of gravel, a bit of sage from the overgrown yard. I fastened a prayer tie to the barbwire fence and spoke quietly: "Jack, Ennis, Spirit, whoever, whatever you are that has come into this world and tormented me so, I acknowledge you. I will hear you, I will testify."

We all cried. We all greived our griefs, we all collected our paper sack and in the muted light of the late afternoon rain cloud, headed south the way we came, playing the soundtrack. "He was a Friend of Mine"

I sit here tonight, tears in my eyes still, still  wondering. I no long wonder when it will end. It won't. I am forever changed by "this thing" that has grabbed hold of me. Maybe one day, if I am lucky to live out the normal course of my life, from that perspective I can tell you what, if anything, any of this means. Right now I know only this:

Whoever is moved by the story must one day follow the zigzaged road to Lightnin' Flat. 

Offline YaadPyar

Re: The Zig-Zag road to Lightnin' Flat
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2006, 08:17:22 am »

I asked my travelling companions this question: "What does this story mean?" Judy asked me "Why are we here?" Yes, that was at least part of it, why were five people who had never met each other in this car headed to a ghost town where a fictional character never lived. The answer Wayne offered: because in this story something wrong happened. Because we cannot accept what happened to Jack and Ennis, we cannot stand it, and we will do anything to try and fix it. We discussed the hordes of fan fiction out there, where people pick up on a certain point in Proulx's story and carry it off into an alternate universe. Suddenly the closing of the story became a challenge from Proulx herself. There was no sign to tell us we had crossed into Crook County.

I sit here tonight, tears in my eyes still, still  wondering. I no long wonder when it will end. It won't. I am forever changed by "this thing" that has grabbed hold of me. Maybe one day, if I am lucky to live out the normal course of my life, from that perspective I can tell you what, if anything, any of this means. Right now I know only this:

Whoever is moved by the story must one day follow the zigzaged road to Lightnin' Flat. 

I feel as if I just have...

gattaca

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2006, 08:46:22 am »
You know, I feel especially priviledged to be along for the journey, for the words take me there. Thank you.
 :)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2006, 12:01:39 am »
Thank you, it has been an extraodinarily long day of travel, got a motel in Charlotte rather than drive home exhausted in the rain 150 miles. Sat on the plane in Minneapolis ("that don't look right") 2 hours while Dick Cheney's plane landed.....

Stay tuned, more to come!