Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2531060 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
My Dear New Friends
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2006, 10:49:17 am »
One last thought on my trip to Wyoming that my account would be incomplete with out, a rememberence of those I met.

A gay friend of mine I showed my pictures to said: "What were women doing there? Were they lesbians?" Well I had no indication they were, but I though it was great to have them along. It was such a good group, gay and straight, male and female, from all walks of life, with many things in common besides our ability to tear up to the opening strains of "Wings".

Judy and Joe who organized the weekend and worked to keep it going, skiiguy who grew up on a ranch and could explain things to us like the difference betwixt a Donkey and a Mule, why cattlemen and sheephearders don't get along, branding and '55 Caddilacs. The straight couple from Colorado who kept us laughing, kept us warm with a truck load of wood. Their campsite became a haven on the mountain every evening, with a canopy of stars you'll just have to see for yourself to believe. And to "Joe the Second", thank you for the music, for the lyrics to the whole sound track. Singing "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" by the fire was wonderful. Thank you also for sharing your own lyrics to "Wings". They are so beautiful, so complete and accurate. I have been singing it to meself ever since.

Thank you Wayne, for wanting to dance with me. I no longer needed a spinal transplant after that adjustment you gave me. 

The conversations we had, the emotion we shared, the insights. I was flored by some of the ideas I heard. There was a school of thought presented that BBM followed the tale of the Christ, that Jack was sent as Ennis's salvation and that he had to die for Ennis to become himself. The comparison of Mrs. Twist to the Mary the Virgin, comforting Ennis as Mary comforted the disciples.

This is the filter I watched BBM thru on Saturday night, on an amazing set up. skiiguy and his partner set up a generator behind an outhouse, ran the cord to the TV and boom box and we watch the DVD in the cold, I think it was probably 42 degrees F when we finished. Had we thought we could have set it up in the parking lot and had our own drive in. Jack gets out, kicks his truck and looks at Ennis and thinks: "There he is, the one I was sent for".

I lost count of the "F" word at about 20.

There was the thought that "The Maker Makes" being the song Jack has in his heart for Ennis, "doggies" there meaning a calf that has lost its mother.

mouk had also told us a strange thing: when she saw the film in Europe, some critter runs by the door as the camera pans from Alma scrubbing clothes to Ennis unloading the horses and the radio announcer talks of pushing that buggy down the aisle. She told us there was a thread about it on the French BBM Board. We watched for the critter but it did not appear. Perhaps the Europeans got a slightly different version that the one I saw?

I had wondered aloud to someone that if Ang Lee had picked John Malcovich and Steve Bushemi to play Ennis and Jack, would it be the same movie. Probably not. The impression we got from reading the story was that Proulx's Ennis and Jack were not nearly as pretty and Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. And while they are easy on the eyes, it is the characters they represent I mourn for.

I will never forget these people as long as I live. They have enriched my life, and I pray blessings for all of them. I pray blessings also for Pat Matheny and Charlie Hayden whose 1996 CD "Beyond the Missouri Sky" features the track "Spiritual" that Annie Proulx says she listed to repeatedly as she wrote the sceen of the "drousy embrace" ("your sleeping on your feet like a horse") If you've never heard it, you can get a copy from amazon. The words, by Josh Hayden bear reading:

"Jesus, I don't want to die alone
Jesus, oh Jesus, I don't want to die alone
My love wasn't true
Now all I have is you
Jesus, oh Jesus, I don't want to die alone.

Jesus, if you hear my last breath
Don't leave me here
Left to die a lonely death
I know I have sinned
But Lord I'm suffering
Jesus, oh Jesus, if you hear
My last breath.

All my troubles
All my pain
Will leave me
Once again
Once again"

Next year: ALBERTA.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2006, 11:45:49 am »
I can feel the crisp air, smell the freshness of it, sense the hard rocky ground under my feet, feel the wide open sky with sun shining on my head.

Thank you for taking me along with you on this wonderful journey, friend.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Wayne

Re: My Dear New Friends
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2006, 01:28:59 pm »
Thank you Wayne, for wanting to dance with me. I no longer needed a spinal transplant after that adjustment you gave me.
:) ;D :D :laugh:

Yeah it was fun! Glad we didn't break our necks hopping around in the dark too!!!!      :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2006, 01:42:11 pm »
Friend, I can't get your email to work, in that Norweigian Zero with the hash mark thru it a regular zero or what?

• BetterMost Supporter!
The Pines Lodge
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2006, 02:14:34 pm »
Here is a link to where we went horseback riding, please check them out:

http://www.pineslodgewyoming.com/

vkm91941

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2006, 04:23:59 pm »
I can feel the crisp air, smell the freshness of it, sense the hard rocky ground under my feet, feel the wide open sky with sun shining on my head.

Thank you for taking me along with you on this wonderful journey, friend.

Ditto what Celeste said, Your trip sounds amazing and you've made it very real for all of us with your wonderful pictures and your incredible stroytelling.  Thank you

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2006, 10:47:31 pm »
thanks for the  wonderfull reteling shakes very moving and that house   :'(
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Dipper

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2006, 11:56:50 pm »
Thanks for an interesting tale of your recent travels to Buffalo and Lightening Flat Shakes.  Your photography is great.  I feel like I went along on your journey with you.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2006, 10:24:28 am »
Thank you all for your knid words, I enjoyed sharing the story with you. I hope next year, or when you can, you'll join us on one of out "little fishing trips".

• BetterMost Supporter!
Meanwhile in Margaritaville:
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2006, 10:29:45 am »
"Traveller, there is  no path,
Paths are made by walking."

--Antonio Machado

If I had any doubt about the effect of BBM on society in general, it was put to rest last night.

I went with my partner to our favorite Mexican Resturant, got a table outside next to one with a young lady, her date and a third wheel. The young lady's brother and his date were at the table on the other side. I know this because he verified that was her on her i.d. for the waiter.

They boyfriend and the thrid wheel were what I would call "Redneck Metrosexuals" Well dressed, perfect skin, product on the hair, and deffinatly only a generation out of the trailer park. What got my attention was when the third wheel said he had seen Brokeback Mountain.

I whispered to my partner: "Did you hear that?" We tuned in to hear him say there was only one or two places that "you know" and that it was a really good movie. I glance over at the other guy, the look of stunned, wide eyed amazement on his face. His buddy said some girl had asked him if there really was gay cowboys. I didn't catch all of it.

They finished before whe did and left the young lady sitting by herself while they both went in to pay the bill. In the parking lot I saw them one more time.

"Look" I said "It's Ennis, Jack and Alma" They young lady was patietly waiting, not realizing she had become the third wheel, and not just in my mind.

I know not what will come of these three, but today I will have in mind all the spouces, Callies, Almas and Lureens, who have been effected by their loved ones confronting their truths. It ain't their fault.