Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2527806 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Drinking with the Preacher
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2006, 09:24:09 am »
A few months ago, back before the leaves come on the trees, I was contacted by the daughter of a former coworker who was looking to buy a house with her new husband. So I said cool, and met them at this trailer out on the back side of the moon one Saturday morning. I reacquainted with her and met her husband, a man who NEVER stopped talking. Redneck as hell.

We did some looking and shortly they found a house they were very happy with and we had a deal. At the closing this week they reminded me they wanted to buy me supper one night, meaning name a date, so I said how about Friday at the local Mexican resturant.

Okay now, I want to state for the record I am not making any of this up:

The wife could not go on Friday because she had tickets to take her Mamma (my former co worker) and his Mamma to see and Elvis Impersonator in Greensboro, North Carolina. "(Jack), I swear" I am not making this up. People actually make a good living impersonating Elvis and I have never understood why. Husband says "Well I'll meet you over there".

So 7 pm this evening I meet Mr. Roudy Countruction Worker X-USMC Harley Rider, and as I was later to learn, fully ordained minister in the church of god, that he no longer attends. It was the most interesting supper I have in a long time. Helped out by a very large Margarita, this feller sat acrost from me and unspooled his whole world, including that he had a friend who was gay.

Today's Date is 14 July 2006. 

We talked about everything betwixt Bill Clinton's cigar to the lost books of the new statament. We see eye to eye on many things, are poles apart on others. I told him I was not religious, but spiritual. He knows that Bible backward and forward and the good things is I think he interepreted it for himself, he seems to not buy into most dogma.

I did not tell him I was gay, but I will. I will tell him when I am sober, and do not have a drink in my hand because I consider it a serious thing and past experence has taught me that coming out under the influnce is a crap shoot at best. I imagine it will be in the tore up kitchen of their new home.

On another site today I posted that Chad Allen was "easy on the eyes". This guy is past that. he is easy on my brain. I stood out in the parking lot listening to one last tale and I thought: "I will be this guys friend. He will know who I am". The last story delt with his grandfather. Oddly, he had the same name as my grandfather. "We are cousins" I told him, and shook his hand goodnight.

Today is 14 July 2006, and a better day I think I have never had. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Drinking with the Preacher
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2006, 01:17:07 pm »

This guy is past that. he is easy on my brain. I stood out in the parking lot listening to one last tale and I thought: "I will be this guys friend. He will know who I am".

Today is 14 July 2006, and a better day I think I have never had. 

Tru -

I love these visits to your world.  It was a place I inhabited for a time, but knew I never belonged.  I was always a visitor, betrayed by my lack of kudzu-cred.  I always talked to fast for folks to trust me as their own...  But even in my own too-distant way, I am entranced, intrigued and compelled by the unvarnished fascination of that world.

Your writing is such a great invitation each and every time.  Thanks always for what you share here.

Celeste
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

vkm91941

Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2006, 01:32:16 pm »
Thank You for sharing your stories Shakes.   I love them all!   They always give me pause and often make my day  :D  So human, so heartfelt, how could they possibly be made up.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2006, 11:38:49 pm »
I always enjoy hearing your stories Shakes! Glad things are going well.   :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
Another Brick in the Lawn...
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2006, 01:41:56 pm »
The Virginia Museum of Natural History (www.vmnh.org) is building a new museum on the sight of my birthplace, across the street from my office. It seems like it has been going on forever but is supposed to be finished this year.

Last year I bought a memoria brick for their walkway  "In Memory of Jeb and Dash". I got a proof in the mail Saturday to check for ypos and to solicit me for more brick and of course, I am dying to buy on to somehow memorialize my experence with Brokeback Mountain.

I thought about getting "Ennis and Jack Forever" or something more obscure like "Jack, I swear", or "You girls need a push?". Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Still have a month or so I think. 

Offline YaadPyar

Re: Another Brick in the Lawn...
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2006, 02:07:55 pm »

I thought about getting "Ennis and Jack Forever" or something more obscure like "Jack, I swear", or "You girls need a push?". Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Still have a month or so I think. 

I love "Jack, I Swear."  It's the essence of the movie, and has a particularly important meaning to Brokies.  But then again, you could say the same for every line in the movie.

- I wish I could quit you (too sad though really)
- Jack F*ckin Twist
- Lil Darlin
- S'alright, s'alright
- We was good friends

Just some that come quickly to mind.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2006, 02:59:42 pm »
Maybe:                        JACK & ENNIS
                            "We was good friends"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2006, 03:29:03 pm »
I don't know how much room you're allowed.  But I like 'It could be like this, just like this always.'
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2006, 03:38:00 pm »
                            "We was good friends"

I like it!

vkm91941

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2006, 07:53:30 pm »
                            "We was good friends"

What a wonderful idea!