Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2532448 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2006, 03:44:09 pm »
I have decided to take tomorrow afternoon off and go to the mountains and do so praying, thanks for all my blessings, and friends, and for all those who need help. Anyone want to be included, let me know. Maybe pray I don't get rained out.

I think it will help me focus and get priorities in order. Calm my brain down so I am not so irrational at work, and with my family. I am hoping also to go to Floydfest this weekend (www.floydfest.com/2006). On sunday Iris DeMent will be preforming. I love her twany voice, I wish she could have been on the BBM soundtrack somehow.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2006, 09:48:32 pm »
Floydfest does sound fun - and I love Iris DeMenthe! Where's she from anyway?

Ever heard of the Black Mountain festival in North Carolina? I used to go there pretty often in April and October. Square dancing and contra dancing, pretty much only mixed sex couples, but it was still fun.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2006, 11:44:41 am »
I will have to check that out, going to Black Mountain at the end of August.

Iris is from Paragould, Arkansas, the youngest of 14 chillins.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2006, 10:11:41 am »
I cut on me phone this morning and had a message! My friend from chicago called me for the very first time and I was so tickled. I had cut the thing off when I got home to get me some peace and quiet. But it was nice to hear your voice Y, you cound kinda like I expected. Like everyone else ;D

Will talk to you this weekend for sure.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2006, 10:43:04 am »
"shakestheground -- I've just started reading your thread in this forum, because I was wondering about the source of your name. It reminds me of, well, earthquakes. (I've got a bit of a fascination with earthquakes -- I'm a geologist, and I was in an earthquake at a pivotal point in my life.) Anyway, your posts are incredible and moving, and I'm only on the 2nd page."

Elly law have mercy, you gone make my head swell up so big I ain't gone be able to leave the office until someone comes and deflates me. It won't be too long, I assure you.

So the name, well, I could make up something about the amount of coffee I drink. I believe the world is not operatiing on a sleep deficit, but a caffine deficit, you can sleep when your dead.  But it is more mundane than that. About 1992 I was going to a lot of Pow Wows, trying to learn about the remnant native culture of the southerastern US. I thought I would like to have an "Indian Name" and knew I would have to come up with one for myself. I love how those names seem more authentic if they are adjectives reather than nouns, like "Paints His Shirt Red" vs. "Peaceful Doe" (yes, I watched Jeremiah Johnson last night on DVD, It had been recomended to me a while back by someone I forget who, amazing the difference in movie making 34 years makes).

So anyway I decided I would just look for the name and would recognize it when I saw it. One day at lunch at the hospital I worked at, garnisheeing the paychecks of the uninsured working poor, one of my co workers was laughing and while her mouth was open in laugh I heard her voice say "Shakes The Ground" and I said "Oh, okay". I can't explain how she did this, but she was probably talking about a cable tv character Shakes the Clown, and I consider myself to be a clown, if this were still a traditional society I would have job security.

It appealed to me because of the genealogy I have done and continue to do, shaking the gound in which the ancestors are buried and making them wake up and tell their stories, largely by directing me to where they can be found in the written record. I believe the written word to be sacred. ever time we commit a thought to writing we are sanctifying it.

My cup runneth over it looks like.....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:45:16 am by shakestheground »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2006, 12:47:52 pm »
Cool story about the name. :) I like it.

Your stories about the Wyoming trip are just amazing, by the way.

I like the idea that by committing an idea to writing we are sanctifying it. (Though I have too much of a tendency toward inappropriate humor sometimes; my writing ends up being sanctified by Coyote or Loki or some other kind of trickster archetype, I'm afraid.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2006, 02:15:10 pm »
Well its all good, in a hundred years someone reading what you wrote will have a handle on your personality they might not have otherwize.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2006, 09:29:31 am »
Last night my partners son and his girlfriend came for a visit. They brought a long a copy of The Brothers Grimm, which delighted me, I had not seen Heath Ledger in this one. My was I impressed! Heath really can act. His Jake Grimm wasso sad and believable. His range seems like a blank canvas.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2006, 12:57:27 pm »
Omigosh omigosh when is your birthday Shakes?!?  Happy Birthweek!!     :) :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2006, 11:11:23 am »
My natal anniversary will be observed on Thursday the 3rd day o' August, hopefully with a large margarita. I will be 43, hopefully it will not make me petty.