Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2526239 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Mamma Bird
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2006, 11:10:38 am »
Mamma Bird has her hands full if she were to have hands. The baby wrens hatched the other day and they cry all the time wanting more food, none stop she flies too and fro. I wonder does she thisnk "who laid your egges, who sat on them all this time, who protected you from the giant who comes out the door." If she does, what goes around...

But I doubt she does, I doubt she rebels gainst one of the main functions of her life, and sometimes I envy her tiny brain that cnnnot spare the space for anything non essential.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2006, 01:57:16 am »
I think I've figured out the birthday notifications at the bottom of the main page...

And happy birthday! :)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2006, 02:19:12 am »
Happy Birthday Truman!!!     :) :)    Do something fun just for you!!
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2006, 07:51:15 am »
Truman...

I have relatives that have been on welfare all my life...they never try to do anything. They sit in their government housing and wait for the check. day in and day out. I always wanted more. I wanted to see things and learn things. Thought I would never be like that. so listless and uncaring.

but it is hard to do more. It is hard to strive and save and work for your money. sometimes I see them going off fishing for the day on a lark...living like that bird....just existing in the moment and I envy them...

sometimes I wish I had never gotten this feeling this need to be more...would I also be content to be a grasshopper letting life just happen?

Where did it come from? How did I get it when no one else did? Was it the reading I did?

Would I change things if I could go back? I don't know...

You know I have seen the same thing many times, seems like in the final analysis everthing balences out. Maybe your relatives don't have a lot of assets, but they have a good time. Maybe you don't have a good time but you don't have to worry about the next meal. It is all in the balance, knowing when you need to take a mental health day and get out of the routine. Take a day and live in the moment, spend some money, take lots of pictures.

Yeah, the birds are free, but they have short hard lives and get eaten by cats.

• BetterMost Supporter!
Shameless Self Promotion
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2006, 08:11:00 am »
My late sister told me our mother knew she was pregnant at Xmess, 1962, but was embarrassed to say anything. She prayed the whole time I would be born before she turned 41, (didn't happen) and that I would not be "Mongoloid" i.e, have Downs Syndrome. (I don't). She was sick as a dog for months and could only eat watermelon. There are no pictures of her pregnant with any of her children.

This sister, the younger of the two, turned 15 that summer. There was no air conditioning. As teenagers and parents typically do, they argued alot. Sister left to go to a swimming competition in West Virginia and told her bitterly "I hope you have that baby before I get back".

Friday night, 2 August 1963, my father gets home and it is time to go to the hospital. I often say my father was drunk when I was born. I say this because my father was always drunk, except for the summer of 1983, and it was Friday night. When my elder sister, then age 20, got in that evening from her summer job, they were leaving for the hospital.

My mother has only said she was in a great deal of pain with my birth, which occured the next morning at 6:55 AM. Having had two daughters she had picked out girls names, in the mistaken belief she could only have girls. She proposed naming me Joseph. My father, in strongest evident to me of his intoxication, named me for the former U.S. President, Harry S. Truman.

My father returned home that morning, my elder sister already up. He told her she had a brother, and according to her, her responce was: "You want me to fix you an egg?"

The two sisters later beseeched our mother to please not let me go thru life with the name of a U.S. President. She said she would take care of it and secretly had the first name changed to that of my father's, an idoitic name of an even earier president that he never like himself. He did not discover this until I was in the 1st grade and eagerly showed him my report card. I still remember that argument. "What the hell do they have__________ on here for?"

There was still a great admiration for Harry S. Truman as I was growing up. People often made the prediction I would one day be President (If elected, I would run and hide). You should listen to people who have a consensous.

I despized my name for the first 30 or so years. I was the only person with such. I have only met one other person in 43 years now with the same name. My father died in 1985, my sister in 1998. Prior to her death, I think it was about 1995, I decided I would "Fix It", I had stood it long enough. For $26 I legally changed my first name to President. People thought I was insane. "I am just fulfilling prophecy" I told them.

But today, I am going off into the woods, comune with Ow-ee's cousins, write, pray for the world, and best of all, turn off my f**kin' cell phone.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 02:27:36 pm by shakestheground »

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2006, 11:48:03 am »
Happiest day birthday boy!  Here's to a future full of promise and wonder, a solid reflection of the person you've become.

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2006, 11:58:05 am »
Thanx for telling us about your natal day and the origins of your name! There are worse things than being named after a president. When I learned I was going to have a son, I had a terrible time finding a name that wasn't that of a soldier or warrior. I finally settled on Christopher. But then I realised that, it being the Quincentennial of Columbus's "discovery" of the New World, there would be a lot of Christophers out there. So I changed it to Christian. I'm happy with that name but my son still shows tendencies to want to be a soldier anyway! I know U are off floating down the river right now, Tru, but here's a toast to U for when U get back.  8)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2006, 01:29:54 pm »

Just wanted to stop in and say... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
   Have a great day!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:46:36 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Wayne

« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2006, 02:26:16 pm »
Happy Birthday P. True!!             :) :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2006, 01:09:55 pm »
Thank you! Thank you! I sure do appreciate it. Yaad, where did you get that picture of me?!?

I had a wonderful day, a real mental health day. I made one call and turnt off me phone, grabbed my journal, a chair, bug spray, water and "The Old Ace In The Hole" by Annie Proulx and hit the road.

Back in April when I was in Colorado there had been a forest fire near where I live, on Bull Mountian. I had been meaning to go see the aftermath and had about forgot about it. It is a nice drive, gravel road for about 5 miles. Bull Mountain was the sight of a plane crash a couple of Octobers ago, the family of a NASCAR crew was killed on their way to the race in Martinsville. I had heard that a cross had been erected and since the fire was visable from down below and errily enough it is.

From there I went to a conveinece store known for their gas to get me a hot dog. Then I went to my favorite spot to chill out, on the Smith River, just below Philpott Dam. The air temperature was about 94, but when they are generating electricity, the water that comes out of the bottom of that lake is just above freezing. If you can find a nice spot close enough to the river, you can enjoy a temperature of about 72 degrees. Heaven.

The drive is about 7 miles on a dirt road, past old corm fields and abandoned houses. Beautiful country. It is so remote there is little traffic on a week day and the only folks I saw all afternoon was a couple in kayaks and one redneck couple who wandered in, hand in hand, in their early 60's, the woman all plastic and rhinestones, she stuck her toe in the water and shreeked.

Read Annie Proulx all afternoon, wonderful book about a man scouting for hog farm locations in the Texas panhandle. His character reminds me some what of Quoyle (?sp) in The Shipping News, but with a few more brains. So much of what she writes is so tragic, like Ennis Del Mar or Loyal Blood. It is a welcome break to read something you know is just going to be entertaining. "The year of Proulx" is how I will remember 2006, when I read everything she had written.

I was also visited by a ground hog who came out to nibble, and an Inch worm and several Cardinals (the Protestant ones). I read about 100 pages and then wrote 4. Studied on a revelation I'd had in the shower, which I need to investigate more. Prayed for Chris, and everyone else I could think of.

I came bouncing in the office this morning in the best mood I have had all week. Tomorrow the New River, can't wait.