Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2582966 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2006, 02:17:51 pm »
Law, and you know what the county seat of Clare is: Ennis!

Yeah, if you look for the truth in something you may be looking for a while, if you look for meaning the meaning will change. If your looking for a good time, its all around you.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2006, 06:32:08 pm »
You made me think of a quote Shakes...

"What is happiness? ......To have achieved one's longing, yes. But also, when one hasn't a thought beyond what to do next minute; one looks back after and there it was"

From The Persian Boy by Mary Renault.

that book is full of wisdom...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2006, 10:34:16 am »
I will have to read that one. I started reading a very dull biography of J. Edgar Hoover that I think is going back on ths shelf.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2006, 05:23:53 pm »
Man the Tuesday after Labor Day is always like a double Monday. Glad I finally reached the end of it so I could get back here and catch up with the board.

We went down to Core Banks for the holliday. It is on the southern most point of North Carolina's outter banks, the barrier islands that give it its eastern shape. We had both been there seperatly when we were younger, 30 years ago, seperatly before we ever met. In those days fishermen rented a fishing shack for a dollar a year and brought their old junk cars down there on the ferry. The place was littered with car carcasses in those days. When they quit running they just left them to catch the blowing sand and make a toxic sand dune.

Much different place today, the federal government came in and cleaned up the cars (well most of them) and tore down the fishing shacks. They were replaced with modern cabin with running water, a gas stove and water heater so you can have a shower, and a little house to park your generator if you want electricity.

We took off on Thursday evening, after dark driving into the outer edge of tropical storm Ernesto, a harrowing experence. By 11 pm the rain was coming 50 miles an hour sideways at us. The storm drains were small lakes and we were hydroplaining. Cars were only ocassionally going the other direction. It became Friday, and on the radio Madonna sang "Like a prayer" Yep that was us, and soon it was followed by "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"

We stayed the night in Morehead City, and rose the next morning to drive the final hour to the ferry. A few branches down, all the numbers from the gas prices were gone, and the coast guard was not letting the ferries run until 3:30 pm. Nothing was open, there was no electricity. All the stores were full of people standing around, starting their holliday early.

Once we backed the jeep onto the island from the teeny-tiny boat, we checked with the ranger, who told us we didn't need a key, he'd already unlocked it for us. If we locked it we would have to find him to get back in. Imagine a place where you are encouraged to leave the doors unlocked. The weather cleared up and we had two wonderful sunny days among fishermen and their "sand yachts" big giant Winnebago type campers with attacked porches and racks to carry their cans of gas.

Our first trip to the beach, a mere hundred yards from the cabin door we saw on the beach an 8 cyl. engine and a frame exposed on the beach by the storm. Marveled at it, like it was our confirmation we were in the right place, just for a bit, the next day it was barely visable, the next day it was gone entirely.

Having knocked out one in a series of Coronas, I filled the bottle with sea water and then dribbled sand into it, the escaping water loosining the sand in my hand to feed the bottle. I resolved to take it home and let it dry and have a sand painting of the tan and black sand as it had settled.

Last morning I threw my back out, no I was just putting on my underware!  It was murder, but at least it happened at then end of the trip. The older I get the more I start to worry about things giving out on me. I was able to drive most of the way home, recalling what things looked like in the driving rain. Touring Beauford and Havelock, such a nice spot on the map.

This morning I looked at my bottle of sand and saw a tiny creature swimming in the water at the top. Guiltily I had no idea what to do, not like I could just let it go in my yard. Amazed that such a tiny life could have slipped thru my hand undetected into a beer bottle. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:35:44 am by shakestheground »

injest

« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2006, 01:26:43 am »
I think more about getting on a horse. I have fallen off before...been thrown off.

when I was young it hurt but now I think..what if I really get hurt? Will I be handicapped or killed?...it has become something I think about.

Just don't feel as invincible anymore..

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2006, 03:12:27 pm »
It is a battle, fighting against your own enlightenment to do the things you once did. When I was a kid I would scoff at the "old people" admonishing me to be careful. I know what they mean now.

I could be in better shape than I am, maybe these things would happen less frequently. The days drift by like forgotten resolution about going to the track and walking. Labor Day has come and gone, the cooler days of autumn I anticipate with relish, which I understand they put on hot dogs insted of chilli where I am headed.

The maple leaves are already crumbling brown in my drive way, how does the stem of one always get wedged in something, flapping down the road to 45 mph when it crumbles or escapes. Would that some of the baggage of life fall always so easily, cares out run like the neighbors dog.

If I were there Jess, I would give you a boost on that horse, and would help you up when you fell off. 

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #206 on: September 06, 2006, 04:19:41 pm »
Mmmmm, your stories are like a little trip to the beach for all of us Truman! Thanks for bringing us in on it.     :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2006, 06:19:01 pm »
It is a battle, fighting against your own enlightenment to do the things you once did. When I was a kid I would scoff at the "old people" admonishing me to be careful. I know what they mean now.

I could be in better shape than I am, maybe these things would happen less frequently. The days drift by like forgotten resolution about going to the track and walking. Labor Day has come and gone, the cooler days of autumn I anticipate with relish, which I understand they put on hot dogs insted of chilli where I am headed.

The maple leaves are already crumbling brown in my drive way, how does the stem of one always get wedged in something, flapping down the road to 45 mph when it crumbles or escapes. Would that some of the baggage of life fall always so easily, cares out run like the neighbors dog.

If I were there Jess, I would give you a boost on that horse, and would help you up when you fell off. 

Truman, how beautiful...and that last? Made me cry for some reason....you have SUCH a gentle, kind soul...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2006, 11:52:23 am »
I think you do too, Jess, I think about everyone here does for that matter.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2006, 11:01:13 am »

I know what you mean. I am 38 and I already have started to  be fearful of things I use to do all the time. I have developed a horrible fear of hieghts that I never had before. I wake up in the night sometimes feeling like i'm falling .I always enjoyed amusement parks that had the tallest and fastest rollercoasters on the planet. Now I break out in a cold sweat thinking of them. I have also become a slower driver. I was never fearful on the highways before. I am always thinking of accidents now.i dont know maybe I have just grown up. But i  do find it sad to do so sometimes.

this beautiful post has made feel depressed for some reason. Maybe because it is turning into Autumn once again. I always feel a loss at this time of year. I know it has a name; Seasonal Affective Disorder. It does  feel  Like something is over. gone. And that's something I didn't have when I was younger either.  Its weird ,and I don't like the feeling at all.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "