Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2579054 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2006, 03:17:37 pm »
Yeah, summer is so hot and miserable and when it is over, it is like gloom and doom.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2006, 03:24:19 pm »
Recently I wrote about seeing the Robin William movie The Night Listener. It is based on the Armisted Maupin novel about a writer who is apprently duped into beliving a book he had reviewed has been written by a 14 year old AIDS victim. Williams' character, Gabriel Noone, has only spoken on the phone with the boy, and the question gets raised, and all breaks loose.

This past week something similar hit close to home. I received an email informing me of the passing of someone I had never met, but whose online company I had enjoyed. Said email also planted a seed I wish it hadn't.

As I have come to look at things: the difference betwixt what I know and what I believe, and there is not so much distance betwixt the two. They are such subtle differences that I can pass over the boundry like driving a car onto a bridge. It got me to thinking what do I know and believe this time.

I know: there is a presence gone from my life, small inside, but appreciated.

I believe: that presence entertained and informed many.

I know: this presence generated alot of warm wishes and healing energy. I learned ways of visualization that I will use again.

I believe: healing energy is not wasted. The universe will benefit from it all.

I know: I once fell in love with two young men who never existed, but were composits of so many others.

I believe: love is not wasted by the universe.

And with that, I look forward to the weekend.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2006, 03:29:37 pm »

I believe: healing energy is not wasted. The universe will benefit from it all.

I believe: love is not wasted by the universe.

Perfectly put.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2006, 11:15:13 am »
I read the other day on Chez Tremblay that Equality Wyoming was sponcering a talk in which Annie Proulx would be one of the lecturers in October, in Laramie I believe. Man, what I wouldn't give to go to that, a third trip to Wyoming this year. I thought of the possibility of swinging it and the travel elf on my shoulder sat down and looked very weary. The finance fairy turned the page on his newspaper, not even offering an opinion.

"I hope wyo_men goes", I thought. I hope he gets to see her and ask her a question. I hoped maybe the program would be tapped. Wow, to see Annie Proulx.

Then Sunday, I was scrolling down Chez Tremblay, having been away from the net all day Saturday and lo and behold, Adrian Del Mar posted that Proulx would be giving a lecture at Davidson College in North Carolina, this coming Thursday evening, easily within driving distance for me.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to see Annie Proulx in person! I am going to get to hear her speak and hopefully get to speak to her and get a book signed. I don't know what to expect, she is giving a lecture in a named series, have no idea what she will talk about, and I am only hoping she will take questions.

If I get to stand in front of a microphone and ask this woman a question, I think I would ask about Lightnin' Flat. I would quickly tell her I went there with friends, saw the Rocky Point Cemetary and the abandoned house, and ask her if she, too, had see these places, were they what she pictured when she wrote of Ennis traveling to the Twists to ask for Jack's ashes.  I will hope I can get it all out.

But I want to ask you all, I am open to suggestions, tell me, if you get the chance, what would you ask Annie Proulx? About Brokeback or anything else she has written, or about what she thinks on other topics. Post it here, or pm me, I'll be headed south about 5 pm on the 14th. Say if your there.

Additionally, wyo_men emailed me and someothers an article about an appearance she is making at a Methodist Church, she is apparently on tour. Any idea how to find out when and where she will be? That would be some useful information for Brokies for sure.

Malayse, get outta my way, I gotta find me good shoes.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ADRIAN!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Offline esseffjoe

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2006, 12:15:18 pm »
That would be my no. 1 question. Will be very surprised is the answer is not "yes."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2006, 04:26:59 pm »
What I have learned so far is that all the tix are gone for the hall where she will speak, but I can watch from a remote location and still get to meet her at the reception following.

injest

« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2006, 09:52:38 pm »
oh I am so glad you get to go!

I would ask about the old cowboy that inspired the story...she had said she had seen him around....wonder about him..

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2006, 03:02:37 pm »
Truman, I've been perusing your wonderful thread off and on this summer, and I happened to be reading it yesterday when you mentioned going to see Annie on Thursday and wondering about other places she might be speaking.  On a whim, I checked her website, and then e-mailed her agent, who luckily answered me with "I don't know of anything, except her appearance in NYC at the Guggenheim on Tuesday night."

I was  :o

Today, John Gallagher bought four tickets for me, newyearsday, JCinNYC and himself to see her tonight!

Thank you, Truman!  We'll report tonight or tomorrow.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2006, 10:12:57 pm »
Ain't that just amazing! It's like clicking the heals of the ruby slippers together three time and poof! She appears! Can't wait to hear how it went, it is now 10:12 pm and I imagine it is about at an end.

injest

« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »
she better come back!! tonight!