Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2531070 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2006, 04:26:27 pm »
It might not look like it, but the clift notes version of see Annie Proulx is over at Chez Tremblay. I may write a longer piece about it here this weekend. I am infused alright, I could have pawed the orange out of the crescent moon last night driving back.

Thank you for the information on the Mint Bar, we were a short distance front there, Wayne flew in and out of there, but we didn't know to go.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #231 on: September 15, 2006, 05:46:45 pm »
I wonder if the guy in the bar got to see the movie. I know it didn't play at many places in Wyoming -- most were too small of markets for an independent film. I wonder if he has access to a DVD and a DVD player.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

moremojo

« Reply #232 on: September 15, 2006, 06:00:05 pm »
Mel, I'm curious about that too. Does this man have any idea of the impact he has made on so many people? Is there some elderly ranch hand in the Sheridan area who has read any of these stories, and is wondering, rightly or wrongly, if he is the guy? What a remarkable, if unintended distinction that would be.  I really do hope that he encountered the story in some form, and that he has attained some kind of peace.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2006, 09:10:51 am »
In reply to the film playing in Wyoming, it did get seen. When we were there Dana told us about the theaters in Riverton, initally they would not show it. A group chartered a bus to take them to Theromoplois to see it and on the way there there was drinks and laughter and on the way back tears and sadness.

Joe had talked to a theater owner in Buffalo about showing it, we went another route, but the owner told him he had got a lot of callto not show the film but was determined to anyway. When he got it as a second run it did better than Mission Impossible did as a first run.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2006, 11:02:31 am »
I wrote a few weeks ago about the cricket that went all the way to the light and lived to tell about it. I wondered how I could compare that to meeting Annie Proulx, nothing so dramatic, but it was a good experence, th emoderate amount of "I wish I had done X differently" but all in all it added to me rather than being anticlimactic.

Driving down the road to Davidson I popped in my "Wings Remix" CD I just acquired. At first I was like "uh, I dunno", but driving on I40 at 80 mph changed all that. Good travelling music, good dance music. It added the flavor of a soundtrack over my on life, like I was taking a step back and watching me thru a camera lens. Ah, the inate gay ability to be dramatic. I was going to the mountain to hear the goddess speak in a way.

The reality is Annie Proulx is a very plain woman with a very beautiful mind. If you read her biography on her website you know she has had her share of ups and downs, and had suceeded largely to two things: She never gave up, and she has had a long life.

Thought I was watching her on a screen, she came out and sat in that chair and with her text in her lap, she foulded her hands in front of her and bowed her head. As she was being introduce she kept her head down, but when something amusing was said she would rise up and smile the smile of a country woman, teethy and broad, and would fade back into herself. Speaking, she was hunched over her papers, close to them and the microphone, no eye contact with the audience, exect when a cell phone when off. She read her wors, told her story and andswered her questions. There was no pretense about her, no drama, no pounding rhythm except that of her heart.

She is the most unlikely person to have ever written the things she has. Agnis Hamm uninating on her half brother/molesters ashes, where in this lanky woman did such a thing come from? One of the questions I did not hear but read about later in the Charlotte Observer article was how she could get in the head of a gay 19 year old, she replied "we all have our secrets". Reminded me of Rose dawson explaining to her granddaughter in "Titanic" that a woman heart is a deep place.  So it is. Thankful I am of it.

injest

« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2006, 11:13:33 am »
It amuses me when people say that a straight woman should not have written such a thing about gay men...what does she know?

but if we only wrote about what we experience and we know then think how many wonderful things we would not have...

Jules Verne never went in a submarine, never went to the moon...Shakespeare was never a woman yet his Juliete is considered a icon....people have written about other sexes and things they never did themselves for as long as people have been telling stories. The things that connect us are much stronger than the things that seperate us. We have more in common than differences.

once in a great while a writer is touched by a special story....when that golden moment happens, the writers circumstances are immaterial...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2006, 01:00:31 pm »
What a beautiful description of your meeting with Annie at Davidson!  Thanks for writing it - it almost feels as if I were there with you, watching her.  It makes you believe that we all have unplumbed depths and should never ever give up on our aspirations and dreams, far-fetched or normal as they may be.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2006, 01:59:47 pm »
Amazing Shakes. I felt like I was there, wonderful discription!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2006, 05:10:33 pm »
I agree with you Jess. One of the worst myths foisted on writers is the adage to "Write what you know" IMO. Didn't that start around the time of Louisa May Alcott? We mostly underestimate the power of imagination except for a few stalwart spirits like Walt Disney, Jack, Annie Proulx, Ang Lee, George Lucas, Tolkien, etc. Some really powerful minds with an accompanying belief in oneself. It's humbling and astounding to read and view them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2006, 10:00:12 am »
It amuses me when people say that a straight woman should not have written such a thing about gay men...what does she know?
once in a great while a writer is touched by a special story....when that golden moment happens, the writers circumstances are immaterial...

You are right, there are somethings that are universal, like loving another person, finding sexual gratification, experencing loss. She said she spent twice as long writing this story, and it shows, she is determined to get it right before she lets it go.

She told in her lecture she had sent BBM to the publisher and had to call and tell them to hold up, it needed one more line at the end. Apparently it had ended with the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets. She then felt she needed to add there was some space between what he knew and what he tried to believe.