Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Radio  (Read 9324 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Brokeback Mountain Radio
« on: December 01, 2006, 03:35:56 pm »
Click the logo to open BBM Radio in a new window and listen live now!  :D

For all the 411 on Brokeback Mountain Radio, please visit our board at:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=7.0

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:57:03 am by sfericsf »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: The *ALL NEW* Brokeback Mountain Radio!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 03:37:35 pm »
Thanks for all your hard work, Eric.

It's also good for paying bills, doing paperwork, etc...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 03:39:17 pm »
Thanks for all your hard work, Eric.

It's also good for paying bills, doing paperwork, etc...

Having sex, too!  :o :D ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:41:17 pm »
That's the "etc". ;)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 06:47:46 pm »
Am I the only one around here who has a job?! It sounds really good at my office, too.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 04:40:14 am »
Check out our new BBM Radio Newsletter  :D :

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=6966.0

Keep Listening!  ;)

Eric

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:24:11 pm »
Howdy.  :D

When listening to Brokeback Mountain Radio, keep voting for your favorite (or not so favorite) tracks, even if you have already voted 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' already!  The reports we get are on a thirty-day rotation, so if you voted for a track thirty days ago, your vote is no longer valid.  Also, tastes change.  A track you may not have liked a few weeks ago, may have grown on you by now.  It could work the other way too.  Maybe you're sick of hearing a particular track...  Regardless, even if you've already voted for a track, if you can, vote again as often as you can when listening to the station!

Cheers!  ;)

Eric

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 12:53:50 pm »
Our new JANUARY NEWSLETTER is now posted.  :D

Check it out here:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7512.0.html

:D  Tune in live on Monday 01/22 at 9:00pm EST/6:00pm PST for our new songs premiere live broadcast!   :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 04:13:37 am »
 :D BBM Radio Live Broadcast Picture Slide Show  :D

During our live broadcast Monday night (01/22, at 9:00PM EST/6:00PM PST), we will present a BBM picture slide show to accompany each new song as it is debuted live!  There will be a new post for each song as it debuts, and each post will feature the name and artist of the song, and a few pictures from BBM that the song relates to.  This will be a truly emotional experience. 

As each new song starts playing, simply refresh the page to see the new post with the pictures for that song playing.  ;)

You will be able to access the picture slide show on this thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7547.0.html

We will also be having a live chat session in the chat room during the live broadcast.  Please feel free to join us!  :D

Also, don’t forget, the live broadcast debut of all the new songs back to back will be repeated at 12:00mid EST/9:00pm PST, and you will then have all the pictures and song titles posted to review during the re-broadcast.  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:30:43 pm »
Tonight’s the Big Night on BBM RADIO!

Tune in live tonight at 9:00pm EST/ 6:00pm PST to hear our live broadcast debut of our 30 new songs back to back.

Listen live now:
http://www.live365.com/stations/dampier

Also, you can view our Live Broadcast Picture Slideshow which will play along with the live broadcast of the new songs.
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7547.0.html

The radio broadcast runs 2hrs, 40min, and will be repeated at 12:00mid EST/9:00pm PST.

Enjoy The Show!  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Tonight’s the Big Night on BBM RADIO!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 03:13:40 am »
For our European and Australian friends, we are going to repeat the radio show once again at 2:30am EST (07:30 UTC).  This will allow you time to review the slide show and to hear all the new tracks back to back.

Enjoy The Show!     :D

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 03:15:49 am »
I'm really likin the new BBM Radio!!!!!   :)  Ya Hoooooooooo!   ;D

Thank you, Eric!!  :)   
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 04:23:02 pm »
I'm listenin whenever I'm onthe Net!  I like the new songs, especially “Coyotes.” I also like "I Drove All Night," since it is one of the new songs that really relates to BBM for me!

Pete

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 02:08:36 pm »
:D  BBM RADIO CONTEST  :D

One new song was added to the playlist last night.  It is a song that is very familiar to BBM, but has never been played on BBM Radio.

The first person to name the new song that was added to the playlist will win a One Month Live365 VIP membership!

Go here to post your responses and guesses!
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7792.0.html

Good Luck!  :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:12:41 pm by sfericsf »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: CONTEST! The *ALL NEW* Brokeback Mountain Radio!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 12:52:22 pm »
:D  WE HAVE OUR WINNER!!   :D

Yippee! belbbmfan correctly answered that the new song on the station is Jackie Green's "I Will Never Let You Go" (which appears in the movie during the "What're ya waitin for Cowboy, a matin' call?" scene).

Thank you everybody for participating and for listening to the station.  Keep listening!    :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: BBM read by Campbell Scott, live broadcast this Monday 2/05 on BBM Radio!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 01:13:26 am »
Tune in to BBM Radio at:
http://www.live365.com/stations/dampier

Join us live this Monday, February 05th at 9pm EST/6pm PST (02:00 UTC/GMT) as BBM Radio presents:  

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN by Annie Proulx, read by Campbell Scott.

Listen in, as Campbell Scott narrates Brokeback Mountain to us.  Hear and visualize the story as he reads Annie Proulx’s words, or follow along with Campbell, as you read your copy of the book/short story with him!  This will be our first of many special broadcasts on BBM Radio!

From Audiofile:
Originally published in THE NEW YORKER and then as part of the collection CLOSE RANGE, Annie Proulx's short story packs a punch. Cowboys Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar find love or something like it watching over a herd of sheep one summer on Wyoming's Brokeback Mountain. Their lives diverge and intersect again and again as they simultaneously resist and are drawn into a doomed, impossible romance.

Campbell Scott's clear reading puts Proulx's beautiful and harsh language front and center. The story is mostly straight narration, but there are a few chances for dialogue, and Scott gives the various characters subtle Western shading, with a gentle drawl for Jack and a gravelly growl for Ennis. It's a timeless story that stands up to repeated listening and will stay with listeners long after the broadcast.

This will be a BBM Radio Event not to be missed!  Tune in live this Monday, February 05th at 9:00pm EST/6:00pm PST (02:00 UTC/GMT).  Thank you for your continued support and listenership on Brokeback Mountain Radio!

For our European friends, the show will be re-broadcast at 19:00 UTC/GMT on Tuesday. (That's 8:00pm in Germany and Belgum, and 2:00pm EST/11:00am PST here in North America.)

Enjoy The Show!   :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:31:51 pm by sfericsf »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 02:25:03 am »
Eric, another great idea!   8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 09:16:27 am »
Join us live this Monday, February 05th at 9pm EST/6pm PST as BBM Radio presents:  

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN by Annie Proulx, read by Campbell Scott.

Listen in, as Campbell Scott narrates Brokeback Mountain to us.  Hear and visualize the story as he reads Annie Proulx’s words, or follow along with Campbell, as you read your copy of the book/short story with him!  This will be our first of many special broadcasts on BBM Radio!

Campbell Scott's clear reading puts Proulx's beautiful and harsh language front and center. The story is mostly straight narration, but there are a few chances for dialogue, and Scott gives the various characters subtle Western shading, with a gentle drawl for Jack and a gravelly growl for Ennis. It's a timeless story that stands up to repeated listening and will stay with listeners long after the broadcast.

This will be a BBM Radio Event not to be missed!  Tune in live this Monday, February 05th at 9:00pm EST/6:00pm PST.  Thank you for your continued support and listenership on Brokeback Mountain Radio!

Enjoy The Show!   :D

I second Meryl's comment. This is another great idea.
Where have you been and what have you done the last year Eric? ;) Your commitment to BBM radio is astonishing and yields great fruits. Your work is truly appreciated, thank you so much for it  :-*.

Although, we Euros and Ozzies have the same problem that we already had with the slide show...the show will be at 3am in my time-zone (UTC+1)  :(
After Lynne recently praised the audio version so avidly in another thread, I'd really like to hear it. Do you think it could be repeated sometime later?
But no need to fuss about it. If it's difficult, just let it be.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 09:38:13 am »
We should follow the precedent of shortwave broadcasters who run external radio services around the world by scheduling repeats that are target specific (ie. 1200 UTC for the Asian subcontinent, 1900 UTC for Europe, 0200 UTC for North America, etc.)  If Live365 still has a scheduler, it might be possible to automate that function and allow for several repeats.

Radio Prague, the external service of Czech Radio, is one example, which has a schedule of repeats covering a range of target areas: http://www.radio.cz/en/frequencies#en

I suppose we'll need our own tuning/interval signal as well.  :)  Hmmm... the external service of Brokeback Mountain Radio.  Then we can make programs in different languages.   ::)

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Scott6373

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 09:51:33 am »
That would be great thing Phillip.  I know I usually miss most of the RADIO events as I am ancient and need my sleep.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 08:56:57 am by Scott6373 »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 02:32:52 pm »
For our European friends, the show will be re-broadcast at 19:00 UTC/GMT on Tuesday. (That's 8:00pm in Germany and Belgum, and 2:00pm EST/11:00am PST here in North America.)

:D  :D  :D  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 01:51:12 am »
Tonight (Monday Night) on BBM RADIO! - 9:00pm EST/6:00pm PST (2:00 UTC/GMT)

See the above post for all the info.

Please direct all commentaries and discussion of the reading to this thread here:

After the reading, join us at 10:30pm EST/7:30pm PST for a re-broadcast of our Slideshow program!  Hear all 30 songs in the slideshow back to back and follow along with the slides and pictures.  Re-live the experience, or experience it for the first time if you missed it previously.  The slideshow can be viewed here: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7710.0.html

Enjoy The Show.  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 09:21:35 pm »
Join us for a re-broadcast of the reading of Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain, read by Campbell Scott on Tuesday 02/06 at 19:00 UTC/GMT, 8:00pm Belgum and Germany time, and 2:00pm EST/11:00pm PST in North America.

After the reading, join us at 20:20 UTC/GMT time, 9:20pm Belgum and Germany time, 3:20pm EST/12:20pm PST for a re-broadcast of our Slideshow program!  Hear all 30 songs in the slideshow back to back and follow along with the slides and pictures.  Re-live the experience, or experience it for the first time if you missed it previously.  The slideshow can be viewed here: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7710.0.html

;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:37:13 am by sfericsf »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: The *ALL NEW* Brokeback Mountain Radio
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 12:16:24 pm »
02/16 Update:

10 new songs, taken straight from your suggestions, have been added to the playlist.  Tune in today and check 'em out!
  :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:19:51 pm by sfericsf »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: The *ALL NEW* Brokeback Mountain Radio
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 07:01:52 pm »
Ckick here for our MARCH NEWSLETTER:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8453.0.html

Lot's of exciting programming coming your way!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Brokeback Mountain Radio
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 02:27:21 pm »
12 new songs were added to the playlist today.  :D

For all the 411 on Brokeback Mountain Radio, please visit our board at:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=7.0

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 03:12:16 pm »
I loved listening to the "State of the Community" address by Phillip, followed by all the lovely BetterMostians' phone messages.  It was very fun listening to it with some of you all in chat.  Thanks everyone!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 06:23:29 pm »
It's my intention to get us to create a lot more original programming for our members with Eric's help.  We have an incredibly talented group of people here, and there is plenty we can share with one another!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 01:16:54 pm »
I really miss BBM radio today!   :(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/26/MNGMDQLP6G1.DTL&hw=radio&sn=002&sc=969

Tiny Web radio stations squawk over royalty fees
Peter Hartlaub, Chronicle Pop Culture Critic

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Internet radio DJs are replacing their eclectic playlists with a "Day of Silence" today, a protest against new royalty rates they say could decimate the fledgling digital broadcasting industry.

Earlier this year, a congressionally appointed three-judge panel drastically increased the royalty fees the stations must pay for music streamed over the Internet. Critics say the rates, which would be retroactive to 2006, will make it impossible for small stations, public broadcasters and specialty startups that cater to the industry to stay in business. The new rates are scheduled to go into effect July 15.

"For us, the royalties went from $20,000 to $600,000 per year," said Rusty Hodge, whose 11-channel SomaFM Web site was launched in 2000 and operates in San Francisco's Mission District. "That's about three times the total income we made in 2006. We're not getting rich off of this."

The move would have a particularly strong impact on the Bay Area, and not just because of the region's large number of local DJs who broadcast Internet radio shows to a handful of fans. Live365 Inc., which claims to be the world's largest Internet radio network with thousands of stations and 4 million listeners per month, is based in Foster City. Pandora.com, a rapidly expanding service that lets users create radio stations that cater to their likes, was founded in San Francisco.

Today's protest comes after a decision in March by the Copyright Royalty Board, which ruled that starting July 15, Internet radio stations will be charged based on the number of their listeners. Previously, the stations paid a percentage of their revenue. Internet radio providers are governed by different rules than traditional radio stations.

The "Day of Silence" was created in support of the proposed Internet Radio Equality Act, which was introduced in Congress in May. If passed, the bill would overturn the royalty board's decision and restore rates as a flat percentage of revenues.

The royalty board's decision was hailed by SoundExchange, a music industry organization that says the new system is better for performing artists, who weren't fairly compensated under the old system. After Internet broadcasters protested, SoundExchange said it is trying to negotiate a compromise with representatives of smaller broadcasters that would give them a break.

"It's pretty much a moot point," said SoundExchange spokesman Richard Ades. "SoundExchange has made an offer to small Webcasters to give them pretty much the same (rate) that they had before."

But the battle lines still haven't moved. The Internet broadcasters say any discount would only protect them temporarily and that the "small broadcaster" definition would set revenue caps that would punish success. It has become common to find Internet radio sites embedded with form e-mails that are pre-addressed to local congressional representatives.

SomaFM is a midlevel player, with about 500,000 unique listeners per month. Music adventurists who tuned into SomaFM on Monday might have heard Lunatic Asylum, Not Your Average Hippy and 100 other bands that aren't getting much airplay on commercial radio. One of the stations is called Secret Agent, composed entirely of theme music for the 21st century spy.

The royalty battle has created some strange allies -- larger Internet-based companies such as Time Warner have sided with the Internet radio DJs, many of whom are broadcasting out of their bedrooms.

Ted Leibowitz is the poster child for the latter category, turning San Francisco indie rock Internet station BAGeL Radio from something to entertain a few of his friends into a station with 40,000 listeners per month and an international following. (He still runs it from the spare room of his Richmond District apartment.)

Leibowitz said his site is artist-friendly, populated by listeners who are looking for new sounds and are likely to buy an album or attend a show. His point is proved two minutes into an interview, when he's interrupted by a local band member knocking on his door to drop off some new music in hopes of airplay.

If the royalty board's decision stands, Leibowitz says it will do a huge disservice to artists and listeners.

"Let's say right now you have cable in your house with 125 channels, and then the cable suddenly goes out, and all you have left is the networks that you can get with rabbit ears," Leibowitz said. "It will look like that, except 100 times the scale."

While the Internet DJs try to get the word out, SoundExchange is mounting its own campaign, trying to rally artists and filling its site with news stories with headlines such as May 11's "Recording Artists Outraged at Money Grab by Corporate Webcasters" -- with quotes from the national director of the Recording Artists' Coalition.

The Internet radio hosts are determined to get their say as well. The "Day of Silence" will be anything but, because most of the stations will broadcast public service announcements and other programming to explain their side of the argument. Hodge and another SomaFM disc jockey spent much of Friday recording spots that focus on the controversy.

"We went down to BART and recorded some sounds, just to give a San Francisco air to what we're doing," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Internet radio?
Internet radio broadcasts, often called Webcasts, are received through a computer, not a standard radio. DJs set up Web sites and devise their own playlists, which are broadcast over the Internet and sound like regular stations -- in most cases minus commercial breaks and mainstream playlists. The first Internet radio stations emerged in the mid-1990s.

E-mail Peter Hartlaub at [email protected].

This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 03:54:20 pm »
Howdy folks!

:D We are still on the air!  :D

New music has been added this week.  Tune in and check it out!

Click the Radio One logo in the upper right hand corner, or go to: http://www.live365.com/stations/dampier

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 08:57:34 pm »
Listening right now---Haden and Metheny's "Spiritual"----mmmmm.....I love it. I have that CD--listen while chillin'. Great radio program, guys!!  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~