Author Topic: Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain  (Read 16853 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain
« on: April 08, 2006, 04:48:53 pm »
Here's another challenging one.  I myself can't decide between 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 and 11.  My inspiration is the idiotic "reviews" over at Netflix that have been punching my buttons all the livelong day.
No more beans!

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:05:42 am »
The argument I love to hate isn't there:

"BBM promotes adultery"

I can't tell you how many times that one has been thrown at me...  GRRRR!

My response is usually:  No, it didn't promote adultery...  it clearly shows the tragedy the ensued when Ennis cheated on Jack by marrying Alma. 
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:46:36 pm »
My response is usually:  No, it didn't promote adultery...  it clearly shows the tragedy the ensued when Ennis cheated on Jack by marrying Alma. 

That's a really good answer - well done!
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 05:50:52 pm »
I agree.  I hate that one, too.  And I agree with Lynne that that's a really good answer.  I've updated the poll a bit to include it, along with "It's just liberal Hollywood promoting its gay agenda."  Can't believe I forgot that one, too.   :P
No more beans!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:42:40 am »
I just hate to hear 'it promotes adultery'. To me, I feel there is no way I can explain anything to a person who'll say that; they just don't get it at all. I react strongly to 'they weren't really gay' too.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 08:38:25 am »
I just hate to hear 'it promotes adultery'. To me, I feel there is no way I can explain anything to a person who'll say that; they just don't get it at all. I react strongly to 'they weren't really gay' too.

I hear ya there, Isabelle.  I voted for "They had sex too early in the relationship - it wasn't believable" because of all of them, I react the most strongly to that for this reason:  You NEVER hear the same person have the same criticism for how quickly Jack and Lureen got it on.  Hello - they knew each other a matter of hours.  He and Ennis were together, ALONE, in the wilderness for a solid month (two full moons) before they consummated their passion.  Like the adultery and weren't really gay ones, I think people who can possibly say that just don't begin to get it at all, and on top of it are holding gay men to a double-standard.  Pisses me off to no end.
No more beans!

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 11:21:01 am »
I got upset as I leaving  and heard this guy behind me with some girls....say

"its nothing more than a bloody soap opera"

wanted to smack him a good one .....!!!

then a good kick in the nether regions with my boots!!

BUt I am not violent..... ;D

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:19:32 pm »
Maybe because it was my partner, but:''I saw Hollywood acvors, pretending to be cowboys, pretending to make out, pretending to fall in love."

If a guy tells you he didn't find the acting convincing--what can you day? He just didn't. I'm not respnsibloe for his insanity.

CLICK to enlarge (pretending...)
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Toast

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 02:12:48 pm »
I absolutely hate it when people say they only see the adultery.
They cannot see that the adultery happens because these two souls were compelled to prove themselves heterosexuals, evn if their soulmates were of the same sex.
The adultery was not of the character's choices.
Jack married to survive financially and probably because of a shotgun. - oops
and Ennis said that he would marry when he "come" down from the mountain.  Obviously he felt another person instructing him from below. - Miss Alma Beers.

I think the movie answers the adultery question with the waitress/bargirl who pursued Ennis and fell in love with him.  Ennis refuses to use her as a mask, and purposely ruins the relationship by avoiding her.  She will get over it and he will not be commmtiting adulteryw with another female to make a heterosexual appearance.

Ennis tells his daughter that she is 19 and able to do as she likes,
but he couldn't make the choice that his heart demanded at 19.

He didnt take the easier route, just the less scary one.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 06:55:52 am »
Exactly, Toast.  Very well-said.  And I can't believe I never considered the distinct possibility of a shotgun wedding for Jack.  I guess I was just so sure that he made a conscious decision on that dance floor to pursue Lureen to save himself from "nearly starving that year" again, that I didn't put two and two (or one and one and one) together on that one.  On the other hand, that kind of thing would certainly seal the deal, wouldn't it?  In the story, Jack admits to Ennis that he never wanted any children when Ennis says he would have liked to have a boy (love that, by the way - the thought that Ennis would have liked to raise a boy and give him some of the fatherly love and attention that he never got just slays me).  I think that gave me more than an inkling that Bobby was unplanned, but I never thought about it beyond that.  Excellent observations, all.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 06:57:30 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!