Author Topic: Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain  (Read 16856 times)

Giancarlo

Re: Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006, 02:00:39 pm »
The argument that angers me the most, the one I've seen mostly on IMDB, is that the love between them isn't real. I get so mad... it angers me more then any of the other fallacious arguments that these homophobes pose.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 02:25:15 pm »
The argument that angers me the most, the one I've seen mostly on IMDB, is that the love between them isn't real. I get so mad... it angers me more then any of the other fallacious arguments that these homophobes pose.

I'm with you, Giancarlo.  I'd change my vote to that one if I could - I'm the lone ranger who voted for "They had sex too soon in the relationship..." for pretty much the same reason.  Talk about a double-standard.  I'll say it again:  No one *ever* says that about Jack and Lureen, and they only knew each other for a matter of hours before they were, in fact, much more intimate.

And along the lines of what you've posted, I'd like to say to these wizards, "Precisely how would *you* have two closeted gay ranch hands in 1960s Wyoming flirt?"

Dumb ass mules.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:26:48 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 01:33:41 am »
I picked "It's only a big deal because it's about gay guys."

The trolls love to use that one. >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2006, 09:01:20 am »
"It's only a big deal because it's about gay guys" was mine, too, David...though all of the above push my buttons.  That one seems to suggest you could just plug in a hetero couple and it would be just another tragic love story...never mind little stuff like plot.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 06:54:04 pm »
"It's only a big deal because it's about gay guys" was mine, too, David...though all of the above push my buttons.  That one seems to suggest you could just plug in a hetero couple and it would be just another tragic love story...never mind little stuff like plot.

I saw somebody over on IMDb once say "..and Titanic is only about a ship".

I don't remember who said it, but I thought it was good! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline TexRob

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 11:16:01 pm »
I voted "they weren't really gay."  This motion picture was the ultimate exposition of the closet.  In 2500 years of Western theatrical performances, there has never been anything even approaching that subject like this.  To say such a thing has to rely on an odd definition of the word "gay."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:19:06 pm by TexRob »

Offline tomtrueman

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2006, 04:32:23 pm »
ALL those criticisms are annoying -- but if I had to pick I think I'd say the most annoying was the one that whines that it was "slow" and "boring".  The entirle first sequence on the mountain, as they were getting to know each other, was paced exactly right for rural Wyoming in the '60s.  It was beautiful, and idyllic, and almost like a dream -- before they came back down the mountain to dreary reality.

Whenever someone calls it "too slow", I always know it's some airhead who needs flashing lights and loud noises every five minutes or his/her poor little brain slips into neutral from lack of stimulation.  People like that are going to have a lot of trouble in the real world, where there aren't usually exciting car chases to liven things up.

About adultery, I saved a file with a LONG list of movies and famous literature where adultery was a main theme, if not the entire point, but people didn't constantly obsess about their being unfaithful in them.  That's just an excuse to condemn it without being blatantly homophobic.  And actually, I disliked Alma a lot, I think partly because she was intruding on Ennis's relationship with Jack, making him cheat on HIM.

And the "too fast" criticism is usually levelled by people who just weren't paying attention, for the first half hour, to all the subtle details of flirting and teasing and falling in love.  Some people have to have things spelled out for them.  And I agree with the opinion posted above that nobody seems to think Jack and Lureen's affair came out of nowhere when they had known each other for mere HOURS, not months.  Give me a break. ::)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 05:11:35 pm »
And I agree with the opinion posted above that nobody seems to think Jack and Lureen's affair came out of nowhere when they had known each other for mere HOURS, not months.  Give me a break.

That was me.  *g*

Tom, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship - I swear I found yet another kindred spirit as I read this:

Whenever someone calls it "too slow", I always know it's some airhead who needs flashing lights and loud noises every five minutes or his/her poor little brain slips into neutral from lack of stimulation.  People like that are going to have a lot of trouble in the real world, where there aren't usually exciting car chases to liven things up.

Couldn't agree more.  And let me add that I immediately cross those people off my list of those whose opinions about movies will *ever* matter to me again.

Nice to know you, Tom Trueman.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2006, 12:16:22 am »
All of the lame criticism really irks me, but what really gets my blood to boiling is when people say, "Oh, it didn't live up to the hype."  I feel like slapping them!  Another one is "The critics only praised it because they saw what happened to Gene Shallit(sp?) and didn't want to be called homophobic."  But my absolute least favorite criticism is, "If BBM was about a cowboy and a cowgirl, no one would even care."  A friend made the mistake of saying this to me and I countered, "It wouldn't be Brokeback Mountain, moron!"   "They weren't really gay," gets me going, also.  One person even said, and I find this to be really nitpicky, "There were too many pretty scenes in the movie.  I only need one beautiful image.  It was overkill."  I don't see how anyone can complain about the movie being too beautiful! >:(

Oh, and the adultery issue.  It boggles the mind how Ennis and Jack are held to a higher standard.  I'm not saying adultery is right, but I can understand why Jack and Ennis cheated.  Take the adultery out of a Woody Allen film and there would not be a film! 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:21:48 am by littlewing1957 »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2006, 11:41:21 am »
  But my absolute least favorite criticism is, "If BBM was about a cowboy and a cowgirl, no one would even care."  A friend made the mistake of saying this to me and I countered, "It wouldn't be Brokeback Mountain, moron!"

My favorite response to this is, that's like saying if "Titanic" weren't set on a ship that sank, no one would even care.