Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?  (Read 24181 times)

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:27 pm »
A Christmas Story
I cannot imagine people analyzing a movie and buying memorabilia from it
But .....    lol.

If you love Christmas Story, then you would love to have Bobble-Heads from the movie.

More here.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 05:18:23 pm »
I must have watched SCROOGE (1970) with my family ten times in 1970's when it came on tv.  I have the dvd.  The lyrics are quite good and ALbert Finney is wonderful. The cast being all British lends an air of authenticity to it.  Great sets as well.  I think it also had the best ghosts...

The Scrooge in hell scene was deleted for tv. Maybe it was running too long or you kinda figured out where he was going to end up at.  It's in the DVD.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 12:34:48 am »
My choice has to be  -  A Christmas Story (1983)

Don't get me started on this movie. Every scene every word of dialogue is priceless.
  My Fav LINE:  You'll put your eye out.

Review

Tagline
A Tribute to the Original, Traditional, One-Hundred-Percent, Red-Blooded, Two-Fisted, All-American Christmas...

And of course Charlie Brown will always play into my Christmas plans.

Something funny about this movie: it wasn't until years later that I realized this movie takes place in Indiana. For years I thought it took place in Cleveland, Ohio. Later I found out it was filmed in Cleveland (and Toronto, Ontario) but the story is set in Indiana. Maybe I was confused because the family lived on Cleveland Street. I don't know. I'm a dingbat.

I didn't care for this movie the first few times I watched it. It grew on me. I guess TBS helped a bit by playing the movie over and over again on Christmas Eve.

My favorite scene in the movie is the flag pole dare!  :D

My sister and I use to dare each other to stick our tongues on the metal ice cube trays when we were kids. WHEW!!! God, that was terrible. But for some reason, I love the flag pole scene. I have a sick sense of humor I guess.  :P

I also like the "soap" scene. I had my mouth washed out with soap numerous times when I was a kid. But it wasn't Lifeboy. It was Ivory. Oh, it tasted terrible. YUCK!  >:(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:40:45 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 11:19:26 am »
I must have watched SCROOGE (1970) with my family ten times in 1970's when it came on tv.  I have the dvd.  The lyrics are quite good and ALbert Finney is wonderful. The cast being all British lends an air of authenticity to it.  Great sets as well.  I think it also had the best ghosts...
Scrooge was a great childhood favorite of mine as well; I saw it more than once at the theater with my family. "Happiness is Whatever You Want It to Be" is still stored in my memory bank. This is by far my favorite film adaptation of this Dickens classic.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 12:24:27 pm »
Scrooge was a great childhood favorite of mine as well; I saw it more than once at the theater with my family. "Happiness is Whatever You Want It to Be" is still stored in my memory bank. This is by far my favorite film adaptation of this Dickens classic.

You're so upbeat and positive more:)  The song that sticks with me and my sister all these years later is "I thank you very much".  So much so, we recalled it when Capital One did a commercial with the song last Christmas.  Why we favored that song, I don't know.  Morbid sense of humor, I suppose.  For those who have seen it and know when the song is sung, you'll know what I'm talking about.  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 09:34:20 pm »

Yeah, I saw that movie at the theatre too, back in 1970. We were in Cincinnati and my aunt took my sister and me, along with three of my cousins to the movie in her Volkswagen Beetle! We were all packed into that little car like sardines, but we sure had a lot of fun.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 12:48:43 pm »
Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol.

I love the music in it.  Especially the songs "All Alone In The World", and "Winter Was Warm".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:24 am »

Oh gads do i have to choose just one..        let me see I think The christmas story then, for so many reasons...That movie is a parody of all the things we all revere about christmas...It is right up my alley kind of
humor...Taking sacred cows and making them funny...Everyone dreams of winning something, and his dad
finally does.  It is the worlds ugliest lamp and his mom hates it.  But he is so proud of winning he puts the
hideous monstrosity in the window.  Only a wife that has a husband with no sense of decorating can truly appreciate that part of the movie...I also loved the kid getting dressed like the babbendum man, only to need to go back  inside needing to pee.........that is a great movie...sure enough

Beautiful mind

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 02:52:03 pm »
Without a doubt --- "A Christmas Story". It makes me laugh till I cry every time I watch it. And the setting is just so.....Americana like.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

moremojo

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:33 pm »
And the story of Phoebe Cates' character's dad was just horrible.
My mother was horrified at this moment when we saw the film together upon its initial theatrical release. One man in the audience hooted with laughter at this point (and I think the moment was intended to be funny, in a black-comedy sort of way).
It also bothered me to think that this dark movie was marketed to kids.  Wasn't it one of the movies that helped to bring about the PG-13 rating?
Not sure about that, but I do know that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, from around the same time, was instrumental in bringing about that new rating.