Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?  (Read 24112 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2007, 10:34:43 pm »
"A Christmas Carol" is definately my favorite all time Christmas movie. I love the Hallmark Hall of Fame version with George C. Scott. I think it came out in 1989 or 1990. I also love "The Preacher's Wife".  :)

I love all versions of "A Christmas Carol."  Actually, I think A Christmas Carol is the scariest thing I've ever seen or read.  Charles Dickens studied the occult, and his drawings, his literary desciption of Marley's Ghost is very frightening.  Think of it--being all alone at night in your home--a place where you should feel safe-- and all of a sudden you're subjected to bells clanging, chains being dragged up the stairs.  I would lose my mind!  Even the Muppet's version has me turning on every light in the house.  I won't watch any verion of A Christmas Carol or Scrooge alone.

Does anyone remember an African American version starring that guy who played Benson?  There is another Scrooge version with Henry Winkler, and an African American version starring Cecily Tyson.  Let us not forget "A Diva's Christma Carol, with Vanessa Williams in the starring role.

I also love the musical version of A Christmas Carol (or is it Scrooge?) starring Albert Finney.

The TBS version featuring Patrick Stewart(sp?) is also a fine production. 

Scrooged with Bill Murray is outrageous, and a great favorite.

The 1950 version with Alistair Sim is perhaps the best.  I also remember an English modern day gangster version that I haven't seen in years.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2007, 10:36:54 pm »
Dear Father Christmas, I mean David,

:)

I chose It's a Wonderful Life.  What a community!  :)

A Classic.  I'm in love with "The Kid Who Loved Christmas" which starred everyone from Sammy Davis Jr. (his last performance) to Della Reese to Vanessa Williams and Ben Vereen.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2007, 10:51:42 pm »
I voted for It's A Wonderful Life.

Can I add National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? God, that's a hilarious movie... I love Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid together!

An all-time favorite.  It's just not Xmas without NL Christmas Vacation.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2007, 10:55:14 pm »
Scrooge was a great childhood favorite of mine as well; I saw it more than once at the theater with my family. "Happiness is Whatever You Want It to Be" is still stored in my memory bank. This is by far my favorite film adaptation of this Dickens classic.

"Happiness is Whatever you Want it To Be" is the only great song in the entire movie.  I find myself humming it even in June!  :laugh:

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2007, 10:58:40 pm »
Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol.

I love the music in it.  Especially the songs "All Alone In The World", and "Winter Was Warm".

I almost forgot about this one!  I have such fond memories of my brother choking in fits of laughter when the char woman, the undertaker and the laundress are at the Rag and Bone man's shop pawning scrooge's stuff.  When they start jumping up and down and singing, "FA LA LA LA LA LA LA...!"  Hilarious!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2007, 11:01:01 pm »
I love the 1966 TV film A Christmas Memory, which is a dramatization of a short story by Truman Capote.  It was narrated by Capote and stared Geraldine Page.  It's about a little boy who has been sent to live in Alabama with relatives in the 1930's.  None of his relatives make much of an effort to make him feel at home, except for his cousin Sook, played by Page, who is an odd duck.  The two of them spend the month of December flying kites, hunting in the woods for a Christmas tree, and making fruit cakes and mailing them off to people like Eleanore Roosevelt.

I also enjoyed the 1970's TV film The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, which inspired the series The Waltons

Gary

Good choices, Gary.  Does "Planes Trains and Automobiles" qualify?  I think this one is mainly about Thanksgiving, but I can't go through the Xmas season without watching it!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2007, 11:09:33 pm »
There is a little known TV production titled "J.T." that is very sad.  I haven't seen it in years.  Anyone else know about it?   

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158681/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:21 pm »
Susie, I added The Snowman to the poll. It is the last one on the list, just under "other". It looks like a very cute movie.

Hi David,

Blockbuster sent me A House Without a Christmas Tree.  Very quiet and sensitive film.  I enjoyed it a great deal.  Thanks for telling me about it. 

Gary

I'm glad you enjoyed it Gary. It's one of those movies I guess. I'm not really sure how good or bad it is, but I remember watching it as a kid and it brings back memories for me. I hadn't seen it in years, and I found it at Wal-Mart and bought it.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 09:58:21 pm »
Cheers my dear!!  :-*

Anything for my sweet Susie!! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 10:03:19 am »
There was a version of A Christmas Carol that had Henry Winkler as Scrooge.
Anyone see it?
I think that was a great one!
Henry Winkler is a fine actor!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"