Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 534741 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #810 on: December 18, 2006, 03:28:01 pm »

which is right.... HERE.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/185888.html  "5.  Professional Charm"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #811 on: December 18, 2006, 03:48:21 pm »
Spoiler...

wow, I really liked that chapter!!!

some favorite parts...

I reflected on why I was actually fantasizin about havin a relationship wtih this guy, but chalked it all up to the hangover

and

and gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?”

and

And to my surprise, he came with, ate a Texas omelet with me, and let me pay. So dumbass was off the table and I was workin on bein a shameless flirt with a closet case in tow by the time the omelets were eaten and we had a few more coffees in us.

and

So by the time I came back out of the office I had a much-too-long list of Wilson Brand’s weaponry, confirmation that Brando waitin in the outer office was really divorced, and my day was lookin way up until I did a U-turn on Center Street and some dumbass in a uniform cruiser puts on his lights and pulled me over. “Oh, kiss my ass.” Which I would much preferred to have said to the man sittin next to me under very, very different circumstances.

I guess Ellery hadn't planned on falling so hard for a 'closet-case,' huh?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #812 on: December 18, 2006, 04:07:54 pm »
no, no, he didn't expect that aTALL!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #813 on: December 18, 2006, 04:22:37 pm »
SPOILER

I keep repeating myself, but Louise, that was GREAT! 

Cocky, confident Ellery has his insecure moments too:

"“All part a my professional charm,” and decided to go for irony instead. And that’s when things got real quiet, and when I first started feelin like a total dumbass.

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place:

"Desperate situations call for desperate measures, so I flirted with the waitress to take his mind off of flirtin with him, hit the coffee again to sober me up a bit more, and waited for him to eat almost the whole damn omelet before he finally said he was full."

And what a great chapter ending:

"“Oh, kiss my ass.” Which I would much preferred to have said to the man sittin next to me under very, very different circumstances."

YES!

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #814 on: December 18, 2006, 05:13:41 pm »
oh i dont mind your repeating yourself ONE BIT!

bring it on baby!

and yes, he is insecure... and at this moment, isn't quite sure why!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #815 on: December 18, 2006, 06:14:22 pm »
and here is another update for you hungry Elleryites:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/186286.html  "6.  Warming Up"

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #816 on: December 18, 2006, 06:19:30 pm »
SPOILER

Well looks like Ellery is very good actor because, although he is feeling insecure, in Ennis' eyes is he the epitome of self confidence - however for someone as shy as Ennis the effect could be magnified!

This reminds us that under all that carry on and "dominatin'" ellery often feels insecure and this is a salient feature of his ongoing relationship with Ennis.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 06:32:38 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #817 on: December 18, 2006, 06:34:56 pm »
SPOILER

This reminds us that under all that carry on and "dominatin'" ellery often feels insecure and this is a salient feature of his ongoing relationship with Ennis.

YEP!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #818 on: December 18, 2006, 06:51:37 pm »
Wow - it is so good to be able to read this story from a different angle. Isn't it funny how Ellery's behaviour and motivations take on a slightly different complexion when we read it from his perspective. I mean, we all thought of him as super confident when we first met him. The development of the Laramie Saga showed us his insecurities, and just how deeply they affected him, but there was no sign of this at the beginning.

Now we get to do it all again. ;D

Karen

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #819 on: December 18, 2006, 07:10:15 pm »
Wow - it is so good to be able to read this story from a different angle. Isn't it funny how Ellery's behaviour and motivations take on a slightly different complexion when we read it from his perspective.

I agree, Karen. One aspect of his behaviour that never came through in the earlier version is the way he goes to so much trouble to 'background check' Ennis' story, even going to the trouble of contacting the Riverton courthouse to confirm that Ennis' claim that he is divorced is, in fact, true. Just goes to show how smitten he has already become at this very early stage of their relationship. Does anyone else think that it is slightly unethical of him to use his position in the Sheriff's office to obtain this information?
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'