Author Topic: Would Jack have quit Ennis?  (Read 14638 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Would Jack have quit Ennis?
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 12:45:03 am »
Are you saying that Ennis then became an one man-man ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 04:52:10 pm »
I am saying that one way of the other Ennis would have been alone after his last meeting with Jack in 1983. Jack simply had to move on, he deserved a real relationship with someone who could treat their couplings as something more than an anonymous camping trip quickies that just kept repeating itself over and over again for every 6 months for 20 years. In the end, Ennis realized that by his unrelenting denial of Jack and himself, he had created this sad situation, too late for Jack. But, was it too late for Ennis? Probably, I had little hope for Ennis in the end, other than whatever relationships he could still salvage from his children, he was doomed to a lonely old age. Like the elderly cowboy Annie saw playing pool when she received the inspiration for the Brokeback story?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 05:06:17 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

How instructive you are, like a professor ! Happy to read your post, and I am grateful too !!

I agree with you; however, I think that once Jack would have tried elsewhere, he would come back to the nest which is Ennis ??

How about that ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

How instructive you are, like a professor ! Happy to read your post, and I am grateful too !!

I agree with you; however, I think that once Jack would have tried elsewhere, he would come back to the nest which is Ennis ??

How about that ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I am moved by not only your complimentary words, but also you faith in Jack's love. But, aren't you really saying that Jack was a glutton for punishment, because that really is what Ennis was - a punisher. And to stick with Ennis was to be punished.

I think Jack deserved MUCH better than Ennis. I would hope that if he had lived, he would have found a better life with Randall.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 05:49:57 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

Your post enlightens me too ! Ennis and Jack grew up both for punishment, do you know ?

You are giving me the proof that Jack as well as Ennis grew up in an islamic-type society !

You understand ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2008, 05:50:59 pm »
May I give you an example of Jack and Ennis now in 2008 ??

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 05:55:24 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

Your post enlightens me too ! Ennis and Jack grew up both for punishment, do you know ?

You are giving me the proof that Jack as well as Ennis grew up in an islamic-type society !

You understand ?

Islamic how? They were both raised Christian, Ennis was Methodist, Jack was Pentecostal. Yes, they were both selfpunishing. but the difference is Ennis also punished others : Alma, Jack, Cassie. Jack just put up with Ennis for way too long! Alma had the good sense to leave and marry the grocer!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 06:15:01 pm »
It does not matter if they were raised protestants, since those religions have history like islam does.

Ennis was raised Methodist, which is punishment in some ways like islam is... and same with Jack being Pentecostal (which is death too) which is also like islamic in many ways; or like those japs who flew planes and killed themselves on USA, Canadian, English... boats in the name of what again ?

There are some islamic ways in christians and jews and in some other religions then and to-day, but not much is talked about that ! Catholics and others like ones stated have changed somewhat refraining from islamic-ideas and ways (like accepting gay marriages and gays a bit), but much remians yet as anti-life !! Some christians used a whip to whip themselves daily as a routine, and still to-day even if the Catholic church refrains from that now, but which was a demand and in demand by their religious orders, did you know ?

Plus, Ennis' dad did show that dead tortured body of a gay man... isn't that like some islamic groups do ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2008, 10:25:38 pm »
Jack and Ennis were both raised in an environment in which violence was often the solution to a problem. Certainly the murder victim that young Ennis saw confirms that. For Ennis fear became a normal part of his existence, and that became fatal for his attachment to Jack. But, interestingly Jack who grew up under similar conditions, but without the seeing a murder victim, was a hopeful man full of energy and life. Perhaps individual differences also play a role in how persons respond to their environment. I persist in believing that Jack gave up on Ennis and was looking for a way, "to quit" him.

What would have happened to Jack if he had never met Ennis? Would he have still gone to TX and met Lureen? With no Ennis in WY, how many times would he have returned to visit his folks in Lightening Flat. I ask this as I find the Jack character much more interesting and full of so many more possibilities than the Ennis character. 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008, 10:57:41 am »
Merci brokeplex !

You pose good questions ! And provided are also good answers by you !

Since you say:
     Jack and Ennis were both raised in an environment in which violence was often the solution to a problem.       

May I add: isn't that also the muslim  or islamic or other radical religion or non-religious way to-day ? Yes, to-day in their countries: where violence reigns ?

Then by that kind violence, Jack would have been murdered sooner ?

Au revoir,
hugs!