Author Topic: Michelle Michelle Michelle  (Read 192268 times)

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Michelle Michelle Michelle
« Reply #230 on: June 07, 2011, 05:14:31 am »
Michelle with her new boyfriend, director Fukunaga:

http://www.popsugar.com/Michelle-Williams-Cary-Fukunaga-Pictures-17763979

Marge_Innavera

Michelle as MM to debut in New York
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:32 am »
from Reuters, August 4th:

Michelle Williams in "Marilyn" film gets NY debut

(Reuters) - "My Week with Marilyn, starring Oscar-nominated actress Michelle Williams as 1950s sex symbol Marilyn Monroe, will see its world premiere at the New York Film Festival in October, organizers said on Thursday.

"Directed by Simon Curtis, the film is based on a week that writer Colin Clark worked as an assistant with Monroe while she was filming "The Prince and the Showgirl" in the United Kingdom in the early summer of 1956.

"That film featured Monroe working opposite Sir Laurence Oliver and was shot when Monroe was on a honeymoon with her husband, playwright Arthur Miller. When he left England, Clark was assigned to introduce Monroe to British life."

full story at http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/04/us-marilynmonroe-idUSTRE77371J20110804

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Michelle as MM to debut in New York
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2011, 01:10:22 pm »
from Reuters, August 4th:

Michelle Williams in "Marilyn" film gets NY debut

(Reuters) - "My Week with Marilyn, starring Oscar-nominated actress Michelle Williams as 1950s sex symbol Marilyn Monroe, will see its world premiere at the New York Film Festival in October, organizers said on Thursday.

"Directed by Simon Curtis, the film is based on a week that writer Colin Clark worked as an assistant with Monroe while she was filming "The Prince and the Showgirl" in the United Kingdom in the early summer of 1956.

"That film featured Monroe working opposite Sir Laurence Oliver and was shot when Monroe was on a honeymoon with her husband, playwright Arthur Miller. When he left England, Clark was assigned to introduce Monroe to British life."

full story at http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/04/us-marilynmonroe-idUSTRE77371J20110804

I think casting Michelle in this role was pure genius

Kenneth Branagh as Laurence Olivier also sounds pretty spot on

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
My Week With Marilyn
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »
Starring Michelle Williams as Marilyn (I'm going to yell for) Monroe:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXDzqYu4mc8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: My Week With Marilyn
« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2011, 05:41:37 pm »
Starring Michelle Williams as Marilyn (I'm going to yell for) Monroe:

LOL! Good one!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Michelle Michelle Michelle (the touching reason why she keeps her hair so short)
« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:12 am »

'I cut it for the one straight man who has ever liked short hair and I wear it in memorial of somebody who really loved it.'

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/belinda-white/TMG8862758/Michelle-Williams-Straight-men-across-the-board-are-not-into-this-hair.html

Michelle Williams:
‘Straight men across the board
are not into this hair’

My Week With Marilyn  actress Michelle Williams on the
touching reason why she keeps her hair so short.

BY Belinda White
01 November 2011

Michelle Williams in Elle magazine's December issue.

Adorable actress Michelle Williams is Elle magazine's December cover star and the subject of a fashion spread and rare interview to promote her starring role in upcoming Marilyn Monroe biopic 'My Week With Marilyn'.

In it, the two-time Oscar nominee speaks about her hopes and fears for the film, 'I've never been so hanging on a cliff waiting to hear what people think of a movie'; and the agonising responsibility of portraying such an idol. 'I think after the second day, I told them they had to take away my passport because I was a flight risk'.

But the most poignant part of the interview comes long after the movie talk when the fiercely private star - whose personal life was made so public following the sudden death of her ex-partner, and father of her six-year-old daughter Matilda, Heath Ledger in 2008 - talks about her signature cropped hairstyle:

'What Matilda would love is for her mum to grow out the cropped hair, though that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

'I've really grown into it - I feel like myself with short hair. And it's been a really long time since I had long hair, five years,' she explains.

'Of course, the only people who like it are gay men and my girlfriends. Straight men across the board are not into this hair!'

'I cut it for the one straight man who has ever liked short hair and I wear it in memorial of somebody who really loved it.'

Not just a great haircut, but hands down the best reason we've ever heard for one.

My Week With Marilyn hits cinemas on November 25. Read the full interview in the December issue of Elle, on sale Nov 2.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »

Interesting...the interview was in a restaurant on 49th and Lex, a corner I walk by every day...you certainly never know who you might meet...!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/fashion/michelle-williams-in-an-unfamiliar-role-the-star.html?pagewanted=all

Main Course
For Michelle Williams,
an Unfamiliar Role: The Star

By CATHY HORYN
Published: November 25, 2011

HERE is 45 minutes in my life. Actually, 58 minutes 50 seconds, according to the counter on my tape recorder when I finish my conversation with the actress Michelle Williams in the bar of the Bull and Bear Steakhouse in the Waldorf-Astoria, and her publicist, a harried-looking woman named Cari, whisks her away. A bottle of red wine sits unfinished on the table. I pay the check for my $30 hamburger — she wanted only cocktail nuts — and for the glass of wine I ordered while I was waiting for her, and my thoughts skip a beat, releasing me from the scene. ...

She came across the bar toward the corner table and stuck out her hand: “Hi, I’m Michelle.” She’d come from a room upstairs, where she was doing interviews for “My Week With Marilyn,” a Weinstein production set in England in 1956 when Marilyn Monroe was making “The Prince and the Showgirl” with Laurence Olivier.

Ms. Williams, her hair restored to a pixie cut after Marilyn’s goddess curls, did not remove her tweed coat, and it gaped at the neck when she sat down, making her look even smaller than she is. She shook her head when a waiter asked if she wanted something.

“I would have a glass of wine but I’ll fall asleep,” she said with a light laugh. “I’m usually a partaker.”

She had arrived that morning from Detroit, where she has been filming “Oz: The Great and Powerful” and living in the suburbs with her 6-year-old daughter, Matilda, the child she had with the actor Heath Ledger. She got home from the set at 3 a.m.

“I don’t know when I’ve ever been busier than I am now,” she said. “It’s really taken me by surprise.”

“More than the publicity for “Brokeback Mountain”? I asked.

She nodded. “I’ve always had someone to do it with. When we did “Brokeback,” pretty much everything I did was with Heath.” For “Blue Valentine,” she was with Ryan Gosling. “So I haven’t had the experience of being the only person in the conversation.”

“You mean being the star?”

She pulled a face and laughed. “I don’t like to put it that way.”

I had two reasons for wanting to talk to Ms. Williams. First, it’s very clear in “Marilyn” that she gives a star performance. She does not so much portray Monroe as project the legend’s thrilling, and toxic, essence. At 31, Ms. Williams has played a string of misery types — Alma in “Brokeback,” Wendy in the enchanting “Wendy and Lucy,” Cindy in “Blue Valentine.” “Marilyn” breaks that pattern, maybe once and for all.

Second, I was interested in a remark she once made about her decision at 15 to be emancipated from her parents. She said, “I didn’t want anyone telling me what to do.” Although I wondered why she thought she was capable of making good decisions, it didn’t strike me as rash. On the contrary, she seemed to know what she wanted. And I suspected she knew that, as well, when she became involved with Mr. Ledger and had a child. (He died in 2008.) She can take care of herself.

Ms. Williams sets up home wherever she is working, enrolling her daughter in a local school and traveling with a sitter. It makes it easier, she said, than commuting to their home in upstate New York.

“It’s hello and goodbye in circles when you live that kind of life,” she said, adding in a false contralto, “ ‘Oh, no, we forgot bunny!’ And I think my daughter knows now that our life is split in two. Half of the year is spent with Mommy working and the other is spent with no work in sight.”

“Can you feel part of a community?” I ask.

“You know who makes that happen is my daughter,” she said. “She is remarkably outgoing, engaging, confident. Because of her we wind up making friends wherever we go. We just got a dog. We were at the park and Matilda went up to another family with a dog and started chatting away. Last Tuesday, we had dinner at their house. She’s the social glue.”

A waiter brought a bottle of wine, a gift to her from the producer Harvey Weinstein. Ms. Williams decided to have a glass. “Here I am drinking wine,” she said. “Surprise, surprise.”

I told her I was curious about the remark she had made about her freedom, and whether she believed she had lost anything in the bargain, like a proper education.

“Yes, I do,” she said. “One of the big delights of my life right now is working with James Franco, who hasn’t lost anything. He’s a perpetual student who is now becoming a teacher. I just kind of poke him all day and say, ‘What’s that mean?’ ‘How would you dissect that poem?’ Whatever education I got was from experience and reading. But I also realize I wouldn’t pass my friend’s sixth-grade class. Wow.”

I asked, “So was it teenage rebellion that made you feel that way or were you wise beyond your years?”

She shrugged. “It could have been both. Listen, I’ve always been very headstrong. I did find my direction at an early age. But mixed in there was — I mean, how much sense of the world can you really have at 15? Mixed in was some brashness and naïveté about real danger. I do consider myself lucky that whatever I brushed up against didn’t stick.”

Many years ago I interviewed a well-known actor who, though a year away from winning an Academy Award, was at the time in a trough of bad-guy roles. When I asked why he wasn’t making better pictures, he replied, “Because those are the roles I was offered.” I repeated the comment to Ms. Williams.

“I concur,” she said. “There isn’t something out there that I’ve — ” She paused. “It was this or dreck. This is what has come to me. It takes one person to say, “I see her a little differently.”

Certainly Simon Curtis, the director of “Marilyn,” saw her as no one else has. She said: “I read the script. I think it came as an offer — which, my God, it’s really good to live in that world. Immediately I knew I wanted the part.”

Given that it’s such a departure, I wondered what she thought about her performance.

“Well, I felt like I made a bet with myself and won,” she said in a soft voice that sounded like Marilyn’s.

“But it’s such a glamorous part.”

“It’s a jump.”

“And star making.”

“You said that dirty word again,” she said, and laughed.

After a moment she said, “I really surprised myself. You know that scene in ‘Star Wars’? Luke and Solo — I don’t even know their names — are about to be squashed in that thing.” She looked at my son, Jacob, who had joined us. “You know that thing?”

“A trash compactor,” he said drowsily.

She nodded. “That’s what I felt like every day on the set. Like I was being pressed up against the wall of my own abilities.”

Cari the publicist was hovering and I said to Ms. Williams, “One last question.”

“Uh-oh!”

I said I was curious about a “Dateline” interview in which she invoked Joan Didion’s line about a “year of magical thinking” to describe Mr. Ledger’s death. She said she was in a way sad to be moving further and further away from it. I wondered: is that age or did she lack the tools at the time to comprehend everything?

“I think it’s just time away from the event of the thing,” she said, catching herself. “No, event is the wrong word — from the impact of the thing. There’s sort of a ripple effect. Then when you get too far away you start to get really scared.”

“That you’ll forget.”

She said, no, that some things were impossible to forget.

“But you don’t seem to carry that dragline,” I said.

“No, I don’t,” she said and then smiled. “Why don’t I?”

Also posted in the Culture Tent thread: Michelle Williams with "My Week with Marilyn"
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,49535.msg623065/topicseen.html#msg623065
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #237 on: January 15, 2012, 11:35:50 pm »
Congratulations to Michelle on winning the Golden Globe for "My Week with Marilyn"!  8)

The NY Times had this amazing picture of her from 2008 on the red carpet:

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #238 on: January 15, 2012, 11:51:36 pm »
What a beautiful lady......so proud of her...

And great that it was Jake who introduced the movie as a nominee for best picture...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2012, 02:18:12 am »
      Congratulations to Michelle for winning, in a very difficult catagory with such a  talented group of ladies.

Beautiful mind