Author Topic: Book Club: Discuss/find out about a Classic Tale Set in Wyoming: The Virginian  (Read 50754 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I know I am coming into this late, but I am a slow reader and am only about at Chapter 8 now, it is a very interesting read, and I look forward to returning to this thread with questions and observations,

I do really get that sense of wonderful isolation and lonliness Wyoming has come to embody for me.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Thanks for letting me know, shakes. I'm glad I tried to leave out some spoilers from the latter chapters. People are all over the place in reading this book, but most people I've heard from are still in the first half.

The point of view is interesting in Chapter Eight because it switches from the narrator to Molly. The author, IMO, is successful in making this switch without it being jarring. I also think the author is fairly successful in creating the personality of Molly, much more so than Zane Grey, all of whose women characters were quite stereotyped.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I'm making a pilgrimage to Wyoming soon, and I'm hoping to stop in at The Virginian Restaurant at the Occidental Hotel in Buffalo. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.occidentalwyoming.com/the%20virginian%20restaurant.html

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
The Occidental Hotel

(Where The Virginian Got His Man)

Come on Boys, an' ride with me

For a Trip back to the Past.

We'll stop at The Occidental,

And step through the Looking Glass.

Here everything's just like it was

In a far, far different Age

When the Occidental wrote the Rules

On hist'rys unwrote Page.

Her very name means "Western"

This fine ol' Grand Hotel.

Where workin' hands, who ride for Brands

Rub elbows with the Swells.

She sits at the foot of the Big Horns

In regal splendor there,

She's the aging Queen o' the Prairies

With Roses in her Hair.

Now priceless Orientals

Still grace the well-worn floors

And Crystal Chandeliers

Still hang above the doors.

There's china in the Dining Room,

And everything's First Class

Where the Present is overshadowed

By reflections of the Past.

The floor still creaks and History reeks

'Til you can hear the Coyotes call,

And the Ghosts of Cattle Barons

Still roam these Hallowed Halls.

Here deals were made as cattle herds

And ranches all changed Hands,

And famous Cowboy Singers

Have played their one-night Stands.

She was lost one night, in a Poker Game

By a man with a Second-best Hand

And her walls are lined with Pictures

Of Men who, they say, had Sand.

Now the little Gal who owns the place

Is a genuine Western Buff,

And to make your stay more Pleasant

She simply can't do Enough.

Many a Trail-worn Drifter

Has Stopped here feelin' Rough,

And when a Cowboy's broke n' Hungry

She'll write it on the Cuff.

Mister Wister holed up here

And dreamed a Master Piece

In an upstairs room by a Fireplace

Where mem'ry still has Lease.

Butch and Sundance slept here, too

Tom Horn got drunk, they say,

An' bragged he'd kill every Cow-thief

That did not ride Away.

It's faraway and Mystical,

In a Place called Cowboy Land -

It's the Occidental Hotel,

Where The Virginian Got His Man.

- Dan Hess ('05)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Book Club: A Classic Tale Set in Wyoming: The Virginian Ch 13
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2007, 07:47:21 am »
Chapter Thirteen: The Game and the Nation—Act First

This multichapter section delves into the main issue of the day: equality, discussing it both from a micro-perspective and a macro-perspective. Wister in his book The Virginian grapples with basic disconnects about the legal equality of man vs. the inequality that exists in the character and physical capabilities of individuals. He also acknowledges the complementary aspects of women and men and, indeed, the superiority of women in the arena of human emotions.

The narrator and The Virginian are off on an adventure: Rancher Judge Henry has made TV deputy foreman and put him in charge of taking cattle to market back East. More importantly, TV is charged with getting the ranch hands back to Sunk Creek in one piece after the trip is done. The chapter begins with Tenderfoot and TV meeting up at a famous "eating palace" in Omaha, Nebraska. TV orders fried eggs (aiggs) but there is much talk about a celebrated menu item--Frogs' Legs a la Delmonico.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Chapter 13.

The Virginian is travelling back east by train, and invites the narrator to come with him, after the narrator and his buddies miss their connecting train by minutes (ever had that experience, Eric?). Narrator notices a couple of changes in our hero: he is toting along a copy of Kenilworth by Sir Walter Scott that the schoolmistress, Molly Wood, whom TV is sweet on, has given him. Also, the narrator observes that "the boy was altogether gone from his face...the boy who had loved to jingle his spurs. But manhood had only trained, not broken, his youth. It was all there, only obedient to the rein and curb." (page 109 in the Pocket edition)

Chapter 14. Between the Acts

As I mentioned before, we now meet Scipio le Moyne, from Gallipolice, Ohio. After witnessing his outbreak of witty profanity (quoted a page or two ago on this topic) The Virginian is quick to invite Scipio to join the band of cowpokes in the caboose and return back to Judge Henry's ranch. The narrator thinks TV rather rash, since he just met Scipio, but wait! TV remembers that Scipio was a cook at the famous eating place in Omaha (TV never forgets a face). And it's a good thing that Scipio happened along, because TV just had to kick the cook off the train due to drinking. This episode is told in Wister's usual colorful style with plenty of suspense, comedy, and local dialogue.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Book Club: a Classic Tale Set in Wyoming: The Virginian Ch 15
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2007, 08:20:38 am »
Chapter 15: The Game and the Nation—Act Second

The Virginian has his hands full with a caboose full of idle cowpunchers. After kicking the cook off the train and replacing him with Scipio le Moyne, there is “only one left now that don’t sing.” You guessed it—TV’s nemesis, Trampas. “Tramp” is currently plotting to mutiny, taking some of the men with him to Rawhide, Wyoming, to hunt gold instead of returning to the ranch.

Chapter 16: ~~ Last Act

There's not much to do on the trip back West, so the cowboys indulge in one of their favorite activities--jawing with each other and telling tall tales. Comparing scars, one cowpoke relates that he picked up a rattlesnake, snapping it like a whip and severing the head. Only the head flew into his neck and bit him. Snakes, whips, and lassos have their accustomed place here as in subsequent Westerns and they also have a multitude of meanings.

The men marvel that a buck antelope knows to circle around a rattler, then jump and come down with all fours on top of Mr. Snake. "Now you tell me how the buck knows that" they wonder.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Lee, I'm enjoying  your summaries more than the actual book!  ;D

Here's the lowdown on the Goose Egg Ranch, where the Virginian and McLean played their prank on the revelers:
http://72.232.132.224/forum/index.php/topic,5015.msg119055.html#msg119055
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Cool link, Meryl, and thank yu'!!

I might be able to swing by there on my upcoming trip to Wyoming!!

During this part of the book, the Virginian is reading Kenilworth, by Sir Walter Scott. Remember what John Nesbitt, the professor of history at the University of Wyoming, told us about The Virginian: "The novel itself is a blending together of the novel of manners (in the style of Jane Austen and Henry James) and the historical romance (in the style of James Fenimore Cooper and Sir Walter Scott, the latter being a source of Wister’s ideology of the cow-puncher as a latter-day Ivanhoe)."

Kenilworth is about Queen Elizabeth I and TV and the narrator have a couple of conversations about her. TV reckons that if he played poker with QEI she would certainly win because "she is a lady."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
I'm up to Chapter 9.  8)
It's not that I'm a slow reader, but you can't read and be online simultaneously, or at least I can't - I will be back eventually.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."