Author Topic: Completed Jack and Ennis Fanfic  (Read 96254 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Jack and Ennis Fanfic
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 02:30:12 am »
With the recommendation can you also give a brief synopsis and let us know if it is AU or canon-I like to know what I'm getting into :'(

O0

I will answer that RouxB if you are finished your posting as Poor Bobby....  are you?   ;D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 02:48:59 am »
awright RouxB, ya wore me down,  :P

The story haunted_by_bbm, Missing Motel Moments is a Canon story.  It is filler, the Real Deal.

Jane

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 02:57:57 am »
I will answer that RouxB if you are finished your posting as Poor Bobby....  are you?   ;DJ

Yes'm, I did my Poor Bobby thang  ::)

O0
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:58:52 am by RouxB »

Heathen

Offline rnmina

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 08:47:32 pm »
LOL I'm writing I'm writing  ::)

I just wanted to recommend Whispering by rabenkoenigin, she just posted the 17th chapter today and it reminded me how much I love her story... the new chapter and all previous can be found here:

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/829931.html

It's an AU!AU with Ennis as a horse whisperer and Jack meets him after his son and horse have a bad accident, it's connected to the book the Horse Whisperer which I've never read but this fic is really good!  :)
I want and need to thank you for this rec. I  read  and lost this story, couldn't  remember who wrote it, just  came over from Maggie's journal via a link to here, thought I'd joined all ready, but hadn't and now I'm jumping up and down happy.
TY again sassym on LJ :)
rnmina on DC's forum :)
love the emoticons  :)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 09:44:37 pm »
I want and need to thank you for this rec. I  read  and lost this story, couldn't  remember who wrote it, just  came over from Maggie's journal via a link to here, thought I'd joined all ready, but hadn't and now I'm jumping up and down happy.
TY again sassym on LJ :)
rnmina on DC's forum :)
love the emoticons  :)

You're very welcome! I found it after she posted somewhere around ch. 13 or 14 and read it all in one sitting. I can hardly believe English isn't her first language. She writes very well. Glad I could help!  :)

Any more recs??  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 08:30:55 pm »
To clarify some terminology here, "Canon" actually refers to the original story.  Fan fiction, by definition, cannot be "Canon".  From "Wikipedia":

In almost all cases, fan fiction has never considered canon, as fan fiction is usually produced by amateurs. Sometimes, however, events or characterizations portrayed in fan fiction can become so influential that they are respected in fiction written by many different authors, and may be mistaken for canonical facts by fans. This is referred to as "fanon". The use of fan fiction to fill gaps or continuity errors in canon is derisively called "fanwanking," or "fanwank". (The terms fanon and fanwank can apply to officially licensed works as well.)

Stories that change essential elements of the original story (i.e. Jack didn't die), are generally referred to as AU, and those that continue a story without changing its essential facts may be called a "continuation", and often people refer to fanwank and fanon as "Canon", in the BBM world.

However, none of it is any more "Real Deal" than any other type or story, and all of the types of stories are equally welcome and valid as fan fiction types as far as Bettermost is concerned.

In designating the "type" of fic, the most meaning information to include, i.e. as listed on Fanfic.net, Wranglers, or Brokebackslash is

Pairing  (Jack and Ennis, Jack and OC, Ed and Hank, Earl and Rich, etc.)
Rating  (PG 13, NC 17, R, etc)
Warnings  (special advisories, such as Dead Jack, Character Death, Explicit Sex, Child Abuse, etc, that readers should be aware of when they look at the information page.)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Canon, Real Deal
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 10:03:44 pm »

Louise,

I would appreciate if you would .................................., for my recommendations.  If you wish to define canon there are at least 50 threads here for you to do so, and ................................
.......................................................................  If somebody needs the word canon clarified let them go look for the definition.  My posts do not need clarifying, but if they do, I will clarify them.

As for the definition of Real Deal, the same applies, we, you and I, have been around the block on this one, and for the purposes of my post on a thread that I started, the definition of Real Deal is:  Fanfic about Jack and Ennis, fanfic that fleshes out the Real story, from the movie or from the story.  Hence the word Real.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:20:27 am by JakeTwist »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 01:06:34 am »
To clarify some terminology here, "Canon" actually refers to the original story.  Fan fiction, by definition, cannot be "Canon".  From "Wikipedia":

Not to be contrary, but I find it interesting that you say that considering that you have refered to your own story as "canon". At least, that's what it says in the very first post on the Ennis and Ellery thread.

I'm also a little confused as to the purpose of that post. Stories that fill in missing pieces of the original or continue the original have been called "canon" many more places than just on this thread. So I'm not sure why you are correcting only one post.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm off to read Haunted. Thanks for the rec  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 06:02:00 am »
Not to be contrary, but I find it interesting that you say that considering that you have refered to your own story as "canon". At least, that's what it says in the very first post on the Ennis and Ellery thread.

I'm also a little confused as to the purpose of that post. Stories that fill in missing pieces of the original or continue the original have been called "canon" many more places than just on this thread. So I'm not sure why you are correcting only one post.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm off to read Haunted. Thanks for the rec  :)

Actually, that post was made by MaineWriter, not me, and she defined what she meant - the story takes up after Annie Proulx's story ends, and uses the short story as its main baseline.  In this same article on Wiki (which I read long after I started writing my stories) I found out that stories that take place in the same setting but after the action of the canon, are called "continuations", rather than "canon."

And the purpose of the post was to give a larger fandom context to the use of terminology, because people from other fandoms who come to BBM fanfiction for the first time do tend to get greatly confused by the special use of the term "canon" that seems peculiar to the BBM fandom.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 07:30:25 am »
Here are three excellent short pieces by Janjo, starting with "Out":

http://storybyjanjo.livejournal.com/448.html

The first story involves Ennis' grandson, and the next two have Bobby as a main character. Ennis is not an astronaut, nightclub owner, hit man, drug dealer, short-order cook, cab driver, aluminum siding salesman, funeral home director, airline pilot or accountant; so if that isn't "canon", I don't know what is.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 07:41:17 am by Marge_Innavera »