Author Topic: confess your most irrational reaction to BBM here  (Read 18177 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
confess your most irrational reaction to BBM here
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:45:19 am »
Personally, I have many irrational reactions to this movie. The fact that I've seen it six times more than I usually see movies in theaters is just the beginning. But this, I think, is my weirdest one:

OK, I have huge admiration for Heath and Jake and the other cast members. But I also get uncomfortable seeing them as themselves in interviews and public appearances, because it makes me feel as if maybe Ennis and Jack aren't "real." Which of course they are.

Weirder still, I get jealous of Heath and Jake because they know Ennis and Jack better than I do!

How bout you?

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: confess your most irrational reaction to BBM here
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 11:49:13 am »
My resolution to watch more than one film seems momentarily satisfied by my decision to purchase the Full Screen version in addition to the Widescreen--

That is weird, no? Just checking....
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 12:42:54 pm »
Weirder still, I get jealous of Heath and Jake because they know Ennis and Jack better than I do!
That IS weird! But I have said it on BBM and PT, but I'm feeling jealousy too! Not so much of Heath and Jake knowing Ennis and Jack better, but for being what I've always wanted to be and being able to do, what I've always wanted to do..  :-X

Kind of irreational for me was to travel all the way to London just to go see the movie (my first time!) and all the way to Lille (France) to see it a second time. Red-lined all the way, arrived, found a place for my car and ran to the cinema just in time! In February I booked a week-end to London to go to the BAFTA's (though I have to admit, that I've done that before in February 2002 to see Russell Crowe (for "A Beautiful Mind") and now I'm biting my nails, 'cause it must have been exactly the time, when Jake was in London performing on stage in "This is Our Youth".... Maybe I bumped into him without knowing..)). I did see Jake and Ang (but I think nobody else recognized him, because there was no yelling when he passed and I really only saw him, when he was about to disappear into the ODEON building). Did not see Heath and Michelle..

And then all that 'too little sleep' to stay up through the night to see the OSCARs live and to post on all kinds of boards. And buying magazines, something I almost never do and also buying basically ALL the DVDs of Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal films or now ordering them via AMAZON (something I don't do often either - maybe once every 2 years or so..). And then there is begging fellow Tremblay'ans to send me stuff over from the US (hm, Vic  ;)), like cow-boy hat charms and special-made T-Shirts. I'm even trying to get a youtube.com video done - though it takes a lot of time.. I've been fighting trolls and archiving threads and have been discussing this beautiful and amazing film with perfect strangers, but who I'm so proud to know! This is not the place/thread, but THANK YOU ALL!  :-*

The only other series/films I've been discussing online and meeting with people is some German soap (way back in 1999), Will&Grace and Russell Crowe. I'm still a fan of Will&Grace, but the two other addictions have stopped completely!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 01:35:03 pm »
Most irrational reaction?

....not being able to watch Heath in the "Patriot".   I just can't bear to see him die at the end (in slow motion no less)    It was bad enough to lose Jack, but to see Ennis die would be too much again.   I just can't stand seeing our boys suffer!   :'(

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 01:46:02 pm »
David--

Stay away from 'Monster's Ball.' You'd never survive it.

:'(

"Camping Out"

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:46:31 pm »
seeing the film 15 times in a 3 months span, that's pretty irregular, I'd say.

finding myself in tears everyday since December might also be considered rather irrational.

Like you, I don't want to think of Heath and Jake as the people they really are. I want to see their faces and think of Ennis and Jack.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 01:49:37 pm »
David--

Oooo!!  thanks for the warning!    :-\

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 01:54:34 pm »
Every morning when I first wake up, I daydream about the second tent scene and how the rest of it would, um, transpire.    :o

Then I want a smoke really, really badly.  And even though I don't act on that last part (quit a long time ago), it's all good.
No more beans!

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 02:35:38 pm »
Irrational...
Wondering what Ennis did with the rest of his day after Alma Jr. left his trailer. Wondering if he really did tell his boss to get another cowboy for the round-up and made it to Alma's wedding.
Wondering what Ennis and Jack were thinking during a particular scene.
THEY ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE! But I can't convince myself of that!

I'm going to insert some nervous laughter now, hoping you guys won't think I'm crazy: ehehehhahah.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 02:46:07 pm »
You're not crazy, Sparkle. At least no more so than the rest of us.

Here's another confession: had anyone told me three months ago that I would soon be spending hours each day chatting with (supposed) strangers over the internet ...

Yet I wouldn't quite call that behavior irrational. Talkin to you guys is how I keep a grip on whatever scraps of rationality I still have!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 02:53:41 pm »
I'm afraid I may never be able to watch either Heath or Jake in anything else. They are forever and completely Ennis and Jack for me. For their sakes, I hope my reaction isn't common!

I'm more or less planning to buy the full-screen DVD, too.

Sparkle_motion! What do mean, Ennis and Jack not real?!?!?! "Yes, sparkle-motion, there is an Ennis and a Jack. ..."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 02:56:36 pm »
Oh, how to count them all

Wake up each morning thinking about Ennis and Jack-who are quite real in my head.

Owning all things BbM

Constant tears

Frequently unable to listen to the sound track because it is too emotional

Having a whole 'nother secret like with Jake Gyllenhaal-who I didn't care a fig about before this and-don't shoot me-he wasn't even my favorite.

Constantly checking the message boards.

Now you've put the idea in my head of traveling to Europe to find a theatrical showing!

I am a freak

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 03:02:36 pm »
Frequently unable to listen to the sound track because it is too emotional

Oooh! Thanks for reminding me, RouxB. I haven't dared listen to the sound track in weeks because I'm afraid of how I'll react!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 03:19:08 pm »
David--

:'(

I know--I almost didn't. No one warned me. I had to revive myself with a viewing of "A Knight's Tale."
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 03:21:51 pm »
For me, the list is endless but right now I think it would have to be writing fanfic. You guys don't want to know how many hours I spend on this...and it is all I want to do. I wake up thinking of dialogue, fall asleep writing more...I was up at 5 am this morning working on the latest installment.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 03:56:29 pm »
You know what?  I'm sure I speak for alot of us, when I say Thank you, Leslie.  I know how hard it is and I hope you know it's appreciated.. Your stories make my day.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 03:59:45 pm »
For me its thinking that they're real.  I have a constant vision in my head of what happens between the time they leave Alma and are in bed talking. 

Marlene Dietrich

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 04:03:31 pm »
You know what?  I'm sure I speak for alot of us, when I say Thank you, Leslie.  I know how hard it is and I hope you know it's appreciated.. Your stories make my day.

Ah, thanks  :-*

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 04:32:48 pm »
Yes, Leslie, they do. (You too, Jeff!)

In re: 'Monster's Ball'--do you realize that Heath's last line (delivered to Billy Bob Thornton) is:

"Well, I always loved you."

Devastating.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 04:38:11 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 05:11:44 pm »
For me its thinking that they're real.  I have a constant vision in my head of what happens between the time they leave Alma and are in bed talking. 

Me, too, Deedee!  Often that's part of my morning reverie, it actually goes back and forth between filling in, so to speak, the rest of the 2nd tent scene (hell, and the 1st, too, for that matter), and the space between leaving the apartment and the afterglow in the motel.

Then there's the little matter of my rather violent reaction to the (gag) announcement of the Best Picture (gag again) winner on March 5.  Still seems completely rational to me, though.   >:(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 11:16:12 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 05:31:56 pm »
I have never written anything aside from letters in my life. I am not writing my own (never to be shared) fanfic! I am up hours with this-scraps of paper and notes covering every surface in my house.

Heathen

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 07:24:47 pm »
Irrational?

There's been very little about my response to this film that has been RATIONAL:

* never gone to see a film 23 times in the cinemas in my life (closest was Strictly Ballroom - 8 viewings)

* never written a postcard or letters to film / crew professing my admiration and consolation (dumbass awards shows)

* never bought any paraphernalia via the internet (cheers Jenny and eBay)

* never wandered aimlessly through shops looking for Jack-esque wardrobe attire that I might buy

* never logged onto an internet message forum to meet like minded souls (but cheers y'all, i love ya)

* never spent every available minute of the day filling in missing aspects of the story (what happens after they kiss in the 2nd tent scene; motel scene; all those times they met on the mountain)

* never had to create a directory on my computer where I store any info / pics / vids about said film

Damn I wish I knew how to quit this!!  ;D
Chut up!

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 07:53:26 pm »
Ummm, I have three irrational reactions to confess - please don't call 911:

- Unable to enjoy watching another film for over two months - the first ones I watched, after BBM got me good, made me feel pathological: "Donnie Darko" - lost any will to live for about two days, hell, nobody warned me about it - luckily, I saw it on a Friday night, so by Monday I was functional enough to get out of bed and go to work instead of making a beeline to the computer; and "The Three Burials of Melchiades Estrada" - which made me feel like I cheated on the love of my life, because I really liked it (although not even close as much as BBM) -  after I saw it I felt so guilty and hollow,  and craved BBM so bad, I sobbed in the car all the way home.
- Unable to listen to any music but the BBM soundtrack for over a month.
- After the first three viewings, thoughts about Ennis, Jack and the film in general would wake me up in the middle of the night; I would lay there thinking of them and hurting.

Also, I never ever ever watched a film in a theater more than twice, and I can count those one one hand. Brokeback - eight times...  God help me - and I ain't even religious...

LOL I promise I am normal now. Can I still play with y'all?...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 07:59:57 pm by monimm18 »
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 08:03:19 pm »
Wouldn't have you any other way..lol

I saw this movie 22 times in the theater and this is the only place I can admit that.
Not even to my husband, who thinks I have gambling problem, because every showing I went to, I told him I was going to Bingo

Nice to know we are kindered souls here.. ;)

Marlene Dietrich

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 08:15:53 pm »
NOTHING rational about any response I've had to BBM!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 09:38:04 pm »
Wouldn't have you any other way..lol

I saw this movie 22 times in the theater and this is the only place I can admit that.
Not even to my husband, who thinks I have gambling problem, because every showing I went to, I told him I was going to Bingo

Nice to know we are kindered souls here.. ;)

LOL, deedee, I luv ya. That must be the best use of a "going to Bingo" excuse. 
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 09:45:44 pm »

In re: 'Monster's Ball'--do you realize that Heath's last line (delivered to Billy Bob Thornton) is:

Devastating.
I love his role in that movie!  I can see why some people might not wanna see it now, but I saw it years ago, and he was really good in it.  I think it was the first thing I saw Heath Ledger in.
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 09:40:50 am »
I always have an opinion about movies at work, a paragraph in lenght.

With BBM, I keep it to a one word sentence (very good film, really liked it), because I don't wanta get emotional and I can't be that detached about this film anywhere, much less in the workplace... And it's the film I have the most to say, but I bite my tongue. 

Oh, my co-workers just ask my take on the ending and I give a one sentence statement, change the subject. Can't get misty-eyed :'( n  the office.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 01:17:31 pm »

Devastating.
I love his role in that movie!  I can see why some people might not wanna see it now, but I saw it years ago, and he was really good in it.  I think it was the first thing I saw Heath Ledger in.

Ooh, I was soo excited with Heath's performance in that film. I was waiting for him to come up with his big break role since 10 Things - when I first saw him and became convinced he had oodles of talent in him. Kept waiting, but no role that could measure up to his potential seemed to come. Then I saw him in MB and thought "OK, surely after this performance they'll offer him bigger and more complex roles", but it didn't really happen. When I saw the BBM trailer for the first time, for some reason, the image of him breathing in the shirts stayed with me and I became convinced this could be his big break as a serious dramatic actor - I had no idea how right I was (for once, LOL). 

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 03:07:07 pm »
Ummm, I have three irrational reactions to confess - please don't call 911:

- Unable to enjoy watching another film for over two months - the first ones I watched, after BBM got me good, made me feel pathological: "Donnie Darko" - lost any will to live for about two days, hell, nobody warned me about it - luckily, I saw it on a Friday night, so by Monday I was functional enough to get out of bed and go to work instead of making a beeline to the computer; and "The Three Burials of Melchiades Estrada" - which made me feel like I cheated on the love of my life, because I really liked it (although not even close as much as BBM) -  after I saw it I felt so guilty and hollow,  and craved BBM so bad, I sobbed in the car all the way home.
- Unable to listen to any music but the BBM soundtrack for over a month.
- After the first three viewings, thoughts about Ennis, Jack and the film in general would wake me up in the middle of the night; I would lay there thinking of them and hurting.

I don't understand, Moni--which part of this is supposed to be irrational?

:)
John

"Camping Out"

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 05:08:21 pm »
I only realised what my most irrational reaction was just now.

After my fourth viewing, I worked out a formula, using the length of days between previous viewings, to determine when I would watch it again.

Then I forgot about it.

Crazily enough I stuck to the formula for the next viewing.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 08:54:02 pm »
LOL.  I love this thread.
Yes, I've never seen one movie so frequently in such a short time span.  And, I honestly can't believe how much time I've spent on the computer seeking out brokie company (it really is tons of fun!).  And, like many of you I also find myself trying to fill-out scenes in my head or just generally dwelling on bbm issues when I should be doing other things.  The amazing thing is that I haven't even come close to growing tired of it. 

Other than these relatively common features of Brokeback fever,
My wierdest reactions have been:

With regards all the DVD commercials for BBM on TV the last few weeks, if I hear the commercial coming on in the next room, I'll run back to the TV just to watch the silly commercial.  Why do I do this?  I have no idea. 

As for the soundtrack... until my DVD arrived a few days ago... I had been feeding my BBM needs by listening to the soundtrack constantly (like someone else said... it was the only CD in my stereo for weeks) and I don't even LIKE country music.

And, like what has been said above about guilty feelings re: other movies.  I started watching Capote the other day on DVD and I felt all guilty and had to stop. 

Maybe worst of all... I really have noticed my self starting sentences with "tell you what..." once in a while (at moments when I wasn't even meaning to!)

ps. JudeW, WHERE did you get those Brokeback similies hugging in the fashion of the Flashback scene?! Adorable.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 09:48:33 pm »
My most irrational response:

I gag whenever I see Ennis at Alma's wedding.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2006, 03:02:32 pm »
confess your most irrational reaction to BBM here:

Ok, I beleive that Jack and Ennis are real!

*sticks out tongue, foams at the mouth and runs off to take anti-psychotic pills*

Any day now, some men in white coats are coming to take me away...

:-\

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2006, 04:59:18 pm »
After I first saw the movie I binged on sex for about two weeks.  I felt compelled to acknowledge, celebrate and utilize my freedom to have sex with another man without fearing for my life or livelihood.  I'm glad that didn't happen after each of the other 9 times.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 11:57:20 pm »
OK, so now I'm having a harder and harder time watching the second half of the film.  You would think that the emotional impact of the 2nd half would have lessened a bit now that I've seen the movie a zillion times and analyzed bbm backwards and forwards here and on imdb.  No.  Quite the opposite is happening.  I find myself distraught and crying from almost the Earl story on.  I'm increasingly struck by a sense of frustration as much as melancholy and general sadness.

I'm sort of glad that the movie can still impact me this much.  I've been worrying that I would eventually sort of overdose on BBM. Clearly, I don't need to worry so much.
 :-\ :'(

ps. DeeDee what is that picture in your avatar from?  Just curious.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 12:25:07 am »
I haven't watched the DVD all the way through yet. I keep stopping after the post-divorce scene. See, if I don't watch the rest of the movie, then maybe Jack will spend the night in a hotel in Cheyenne (can't drive for 28 hours straight, not all emotional like that), and then wake up the next morning and decide, screw it, I'm going back when the weekend's over.

Or at least, maybe if I don't watch the movie to the end I can keep Jack from dying.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 08:50:29 am »
I booked a flight to New York City just to meet a bunch of total strangers and chat with them about a movie! Shall be leaving the green hills of Northern Bavaria in the early hours next friday. Makes me feel like on a sugar high. Old Brokeback got me good, I guess...

::)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 08:52:22 am by pipedream »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 11:43:07 am »
I booked a flight to New York City just to meet a bunch of total strangers and chat with them about a movie! Shall be leaving the green hills of Northern Bavaria in the early hours next friday. Makes me feel like on a sugar high. Old Brokeback got me good, I guess...

::)

Anke - It may seem irrational, but its something you'll probably remember for a long time afterwards!  ;)  Something crazy, spontaneous and fun!  Yeehaw!!  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 12:07:49 pm »
Tell you what, we are all irrational together, because I have done many of these same things. I have:

-- Been tempted to stop watching halfway through, like Mel and Amanda (I'm holding off on getting the DVD until I can't stand it no more -- which I guess is kind of irrational in itself -- but if I did I would stop it right after the "sending up a prayer of thanks" scene and try to convince myself that it ends there.) :-*

-- Gagged, like Flashframe, when I see Ennis and Alma's wedding. Also when they're sledding. I don't like seeing Ennis smile so happily at anyone other than Jack. :P

-- Been barely able to enjoy other films, like monimm. :'(

-- Also like monimm, lay awake in the middle of the night (hell, practically every night!) thinking of Ennis, Jack and the film. Not always hurtin, though! ;)

-- Insisted, like Lucise, that Ennis and Jack are real. What, are you implying they're not?! :o

Unlike Kirk, though, I have not binged on sex. If only!!!! ::)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2006, 12:13:27 pm »
Anke - It may seem irrational, but its something you'll probably remember for a long time afterwards!  ;)  Something crazy, spontaneous and fun!  Yeehaw!!  ;D

You bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2006, 01:03:05 pm »
For me, the list is endless but right now I think it would have to be writing fanfic. You guys don't want to know how many hours I spend on this...and it is all I want to do. I wake up thinking of dialogue, fall asleep writing more...I was up at 5 am this morning working on the latest installment.

I keep expecting ALL the people writing fanfiction to produce AT LEAST a story (chapter, in Leslie's case) every single day...

This isn't irrational--it's TOO rational, but it's weird: In one of my 25 viewings (theater viewings), I suddenly got the idea: these two actors are probably having a good time, most of the time: talking, working, herding, cooking, wrestling, fighting, playing games, showing off for eachother--but they aren't having any fun making love...and it made me very sad...just for that one showing.

It is IRRATIONAL to keep buying DVDs, hoping I'l;l find a good one (I have 3 stinkers)..finally asked my son to get me one (as if he didn't have enough to do...). Ir is NOT the equipment--I've tried all three on my medium priced Sony with a medium priced Zenith DVD player, and on some of the best equipment in the world...

It's IRRATIONAL to keep looking for new people to talk about the movie to, when all the people I know are so sick of hearonmg about it they've sdtartred avoiding me.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2006, 01:31:31 pm »

I keep expecting ALL the people writing fanfiction to produce AT LEAST a story (chapter, in Leslie's case) every single day...

Hey Julie--you got a chapter on Tuesday and an installment today...plus the muse is back...ideas are piling up in my head faster than I can sort them out...unfortunately, I have real work to do altho I'd much rather work on this story...sigh...

It's IRRATIONAL to keep looking for new people to talk about the movie to, when all the people I know are so sick of hearonmg about it they've sdtartred avoiding me.

We're all here for ya, all of the time, but I know what you mean about the avoidiing thing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2006, 01:53:23 pm »
[This isn't irrational--it's TOO rational, but it's weird: In one of my 25 viewings (theater viewings), I suddenly got the idea: these two actors are probably having a good time, most of the time: talking, working, herding, cooking, wrestling, fighting, playing games, showing off for eachother--but they aren't having any fun making love...

Well, my irrational response is that I have a hard time actually believing this. They make it look so fun!

Offline scottf.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2006, 01:59:30 pm »
Watching the movie with 2/3 of my brain, while WILLING the audience to love the movie along with me with the other 1/3.

Scott

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 02:25:55 pm »
Watching the movie with 2/3 of my brain, while WILLING the audience to love the movie along with me with the other 1/3.

Scott

Why is that Scott?  I feel exactly the same way.  After a  few viewings, I found myself looking around the theater and trying to read a few of the faces around me.. Even in work, I wanted those idiots, I mean people to love it as much as me..

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 02:42:32 pm »
Okay, another irrational reaction to BBM:

The first time I saw the film,  my mind was completely taken over by images of Jack and Ennis; scenes were playing left and right..  I felt like I was losing it.  To add to that, I wanted to be left alone, I needed time to think, time to myself, time to reflect on somethings ... I even lost my appetite at one point, I felt like I was going insane!  The friday after that first viewing, I was supposed to meet up with friends, cancelled those plans and stayed home!..thinking  :-\.  Then the following Saturday and Sunday, I went back and saw the film again.  It was abit wierd, the way I was feeling seemed pretty "out there" because I hadn't felt this way about another movie.  I gradually accepted my addiction, but that first week was something else  ;D

Well, all is well that ends well right?  8)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 04:24:04 pm by Lucise »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 03:18:17 pm »
The most irrational thing I ever DID was to wear my "You know, friend, this is a goddamned bitch of a unsatiusfactory situaltion" shirt to the Asian Art Museum to give an architecture tour...I was so MAD that I hadn't been able to get a March 10 Variety at the biggest magazine store in the Bay Area (they didn;'t DELIVER any) at 7:15 A.M.--I didn't change my shirt.  The people on my tour loved it, but the honchos got, er, a little upset...

NOT crying at any viewing of Brokeback, but weeping loudly all the way through Jeff's "Some Sweet Life."
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline scottf.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2006, 04:58:50 pm »
DeeDee,

I guess it's because we want others to feel as strongly about something as we do, to be as moved, to take is as personally. I used to pretend not to care when someone would walk out of Brokeback, or groan about how long it was, or say, "Is that all there is to it?" at the end. But really, I was as hurt as if I'd made the movie myself.

It's fun to share something we love deeply with others. I'm still offended that one of my best friends never went to see BBM with me in the theatre, preferring to wait until the DVD came out.

Scott

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2006, 05:07:01 pm »
DeeDee,

I guess it's because we want others to feel as strongly about something as we do, to be as moved, to take is as personally. I used to pretend not to care when someone would walk out of Brokeback, or groan about how long it was, or say, "Is that all there is to it?" at the end. But really, I was as hurt as if I'd made the movie myself.

It's fun to share something we love deeply with others. I'm still offended that one of my best friends never went to see BBM with me in the theatre, preferring to wait until the DVD came out.

Scott

Yeah, my best friend saw it and when I asked her if she wanted to go again, she said "it's not worth another 8 bucks.."  like a knife in my heart.
I tell ya, I send up a prayer of thanks for this board, or I think I would go nuts and I know divorce would also be in my future.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2006, 06:22:48 pm »
Heya DeeDee,
I'm still curious... what's the story behind the photo in your avatar?  Where did you find it?

cheers!
Amanda

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2006, 06:37:29 pm »
In my third viewing, during the scene when Ennis finds the shirts, someone's phone went off and I was so into the movie, I turned to my friend and said "But Ennis doesn't have a cellphone" (I'm not even joking).

Of course, wanted to pound the person's head in with said phone...
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2006, 06:53:04 pm »
LOL Chantelle! I remember you telling me about this! :laugh: ROFLMAO!

You checked SOD lately, I put some new stuff up if you wanna take a look.
Gotta love the Dill! O0
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2006, 06:57:25 pm »
In my third viewing, during the scene when Ennis finds the shirts, someone's phone went off and I was so into the movie, I turned to my friend and said "But Ennis doesn't have a cellphone" (I'm not even joking).

Of course, wanted to pound the person's head in with said phone...

LMFAO!  That is friggin' hilarious!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2006, 01:19:52 am »
Bump
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2006, 10:18:38 pm »
This isn't irrational--it's TOO rational, but it's weird: In one of my 25 viewings (theater viewings), I suddenly got the idea: these two actors are probably having a good time, most of the time: talking, working, herding, cooking, wrestling, fighting, playing games, showing off for eachother--but they aren't having any fun making love...and it made me very sad...just for that one showing.

Well, I think they at least *got into it* a bit.  I bet they had fun too and just won't admit it outright.  Here's a quote from Jake about the love scenes that I think is cute.  I've posted this in other places.  But, it's worth repeating.

"And then when it came to doing love scenes and stuff like that, the best metaphor I can give is that it felt like we were both like, ‘Are you ready? Yeah. Let’s go,’ and we dove off the boat into the deep end. It’s like when you’re terrified of the water, you see a little kid thrown in the water and they’re trying to get back to the boat as fast as they can. That’s what it was like. But at the same time when we were there we really went for it.
We knew we had to consummate this somehow. It couldn’t just be a story about friendship because there’s a part of two people connecting intimately, sexually, that drives that intimacy through the years. In my opinion when you see the movie, as soon as that happens, you’re like, ‘Okay, I’m here now. I’m ready to see what’s going to happen.’ Or, ‘I’m out of here. I’ll see you later.’ But either way it does knock you into something. We knew that it was going to have to do that and we were going to have to commit to it. There was a high five and jump in…”

By the way, this thread rocks.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:21 am »
I don't know how weird is this but I rented Jarhead the other day and while watching it I kept wondering when did the draft finally get Jack. I tried to picture Jake as Swoff but I kept seeing Jack Twist with a helmet instead of a Stetson.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:37:59 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 12:32:30 am »

The first time I saw the film,  my mind was completely taken over by images of Jack and Ennis; scenes were playing left and right..  I felt like I was losing it.  To add to that, I wanted to be left alone, I needed time to think, time to myself, time to reflect on somethings ... I even lost my appetite at one point, I felt like I was going insane!  The friday after that first viewing, I was supposed to meet up with friends, cancelled those plans and stayed home!..thinking  :-\.  Then the following Saturday and Sunday, I went back and saw the film again.  It was abit wierd, the way I was feeling seemed pretty "out there" because I hadn't felt this way about another movie.  I gradually accepted my addiction, but that first week was something else  ;D

THAT!

boy, that coulda been me writing that.  sounded so familiar I went  :o while reading it.  never had such a reaction to a film before.  actually don't know if I've had such a reaction period, to anything.  it's all way too kooky  :-\.

other irrationals.  wearing my stetson and Cool-Texas-Boots again, buying and wearing a Brokeback t-shirt (plain black, text only  with "I wish I knew how to quit you" printed in white), buying a new DVD player just so I could watch my region one disc four months prior to the region four release date,  spending an inordinate number of hours debriefing with you cyberfolk, listening to nothing but the soundtrack or youtube tracks for past three months, avoiding seeing Jake or Heath in anything else, getting as excited as a teenager about all sorts of 'silly' things again, and last but not least, seeing one film 12 times in 12 weeks. 

w

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 05:09:30 am »
Okay, another irrational reaction to BBM:

The first time I saw the film,  my mind was completely taken over by images of Jack and Ennis; scenes were playing left and right..  I felt like I was losing it.  To add to that, I wanted to be left alone, I needed time to think, time to myself, time to reflect on somethings ... I even lost my appetite at one point, I felt like I was going insane! 

THAT!
boy, that coulda been me writing that.  sounded so familiar I went  :o while reading it.  never had such a reaction to a film before.  actually don't know if I've had such a reaction period, to anything.  it's all way too kooky  :-\.

Same here, & it's still got a grip on me.

Does being so wrapped up in BBM it makes you forget to pay your credit card bills count as being irrational, or just plain stupid?  I've racked up late payment fees on all my cards which I've never done before, including the one I share with my partner.  I had to hide it from him as I was too embarassed to explain why.   :P
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 09:27:29 am »
I've racked up late payment fees on all my cards which I've never done before, including the one I share with my partner.

AAAAAACCCKKKK!!! Me too. Here's a tip, nic: if it's your first time (or at least your first time in a year or so), you can call the credi-card company and ask them to waive the fee and they usually will. They'll ask you to give a reason why you were late, though, and you might want to come up with a different excuse than your Brokebackaholism.

(Do I sound like I have much experience with this? Let's just say I've been late a time or two even BEFORE seeing Brokeback, though having my mind overtaken by the movie sure didn't help!)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2006, 11:18:18 am »
Heya DeeDee,
I'm still curious... what's the story behind the photo in your avatar?  Where did you find it?

I'll help you out here, Amanda.  I believe it's from Jarhead.  DeeDee will have to fill us both in on where she found it, though.
No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 01:25:20 am »
bump
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2007, 09:10:35 am »
I re-read the whole thread because I just had a pretty irrational reaction myself  ;D.

I can say 'Amen to that' to so many postings on this thread. Laying awake at night and thinking about BBM, shortly after ones first viewing doesn't seem to be so irrational now, does it? I think it was pretty common.

Ok, what I did today:

I saw a documentation about rodeo cowboys yesterday. No, that's not the irrational thing I'm talking about, wait a little. Although I sure wouldn't have watched it a year ago. And I could picture Jack, sitting beside me on the sofa, bragging and commenting  ;D. Mostly it followed Clint Cannon around the rodeo circuit. Today I checked the internet for Clint Cannon. I found a page where the PRCA Prorodeo lists the "Rookies of the Year" - and I went straight back to the year 1964  :o, the year we know Jack Twist was on the curciut. The guy who was the overall rookie of the year in 1964 was Jim Steen from Glenn's Ferry, Idaho. I caught myself thinking: If Jack had been real, he would have known this guy.
Sometimes I really do doubt my sanity  ::).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:10:23 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2007, 09:22:58 am »
I hear you Chrissi. But instead celebrate that we have found a new way to stay sane in this crazy world!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2007, 10:21:24 am »
I hear you Chrissi. But instead celebrate that we have found a new way to stay sane in this crazy world!

:laugh: Yep. It depends on the perspective, doesn't it?
Having found other Brokies sure is a way to stay sane (or to not notice the looniness, cause we suffer enjoy it all the same ::)).