Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

(1/68) > >>

Front-Ranger:
I am consulting my daughter's book "Celtic Wicca" about the Winter Solstice, or Yule. Having finished the harvest from the fields, farmers turned to the forests at this time of year to make sure enough firewood was harvested.

This is a time for renewal and faith. Set aside some time to be solitary, don't try to socialize all the time. The celebration of Epona, the Celtic horse goddess, is December 18. Call upon her before making journeys, and wear or decorate the tree with a small metal horse charm.

newyearsday:
Happy Epona Day, Bettermostians!!

I'm sleeping more lately and think it has something to do with the coming of the longest night. If you have any good books to recommend about Celtic or Wiccan Solstice traditions, I'm all ears.

Jenny

Front-Ranger:
Happy Epona day to you! I'm wearing a little silver horse on a pendant today in honor of her. I have a whole stack of books about the solstice, wicca, and such that I took from my daughter's room yesterday...Will catalogue them here soon as I get home tonight.

delalluvia:
Saturnalia started Sunday, the ancient Roman solstice celebration.  They decorated trees, gave gifts, burned candles, partied hard and for a brief time 'turned the world upside down'.

Best I can do is decorate my place with sun ornaments, red and gold decorations in the evergreen swags, bring out my statue of Saturn with his bags of seeds and other symbols of fertility and richness (a modified earthy Santa Claus stands in amazingly well) burn candles, wear bright colors every day and give friends the traditional gifts of silver and candles (which represent the rebirth of the sun).

I'd be having more cocktails too, if I wasn't feeling so under the weather.   ;D

Io! Satvrnalia!

newyearsday:

--- Quote from: delalluvia on December 20, 2006, 12:51:15 am ---Saturnalia started Sunday, the ancient Roman solstice celebration.  They decorated trees, gave gifts, burned candles, partied hard and for a brief time 'turned the world upside down'.

Best I can do is decorate my place with sun ornaments, red and gold decorations in the evergreen swags, bring out my statue of Saturn with his bags of seeds and other symbols of fertility and richness (a modified earthy Santa Claus stands in amazingly well) burn candles, wear bright colors every day and give friends the traditional gifts of silver and candles (which represent the rebirth of the sun).

I'd be having more cocktails too, if I wasn't feeling so under the weather.   ;D

Io! Satvrnalia!

--- End quote ---

Ahh, a woman who sounds like she knows what she's talking about! (I've admired your sig line for weeks, too). Maybe we should start a little Brokeback sect for pagans or wiccans or some such thing.)

Lee, have you got that list ready yet?? I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version