Author Topic: DECEMBER BBM RADIO NEWSLETTER  (Read 9148 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
DECEMBER BBM RADIO NEWSLETTER
« on: December 22, 2006, 04:01:32 am »
 :D Greetings from the BBM Radio Team!  Welcome to our December 2006 Newsletter! :D

Listen Live Now:
http://www.live365.com/stations/dampier

In this issue:
    • -December listening hours almost doubled since re-launch!
    • -13 new tracks added on 12/21!
    • -Vote for your favorite songs!
    • -To shuffle or not to shuffle?
    • -Your Recommendations

December listening hours

As of December 20th, we have logged a total of 966:58 listening hours, compared to November, where we only had a total of 880:24 listening hours for the entire month! Yee-Haw!  Great Job everybody!  Keep on listening, and tell all of your friends and on-line buddies to check out the station.  Word of mouth is our best advertising.  A big thank you to everybody from the BBM Radio Team!  We hope you are enjoying the station and will continue to update the play lists based on your suggestions and feedback!  :D

13 new tracks added on 12/21

Yes, that’s right folks.  13 additional songs added on 12/21.  New songs from: George Strait, K.D. Lang, Nickelback, Rascal Flatts, Trisha Yearwood, John Michael Montgomery, a new Gustavo Santaolalla track from the new Babel soundtrack, and yes, even “Babs” has made our play list!  :D  Ooooooh-Weeeee!  Yeah!  This brings our total play list to 165 tracks running at 9 hours and 36 minutes of pure BBM music pleasure!  There’s probably a song or two you haven’t heard!  Tune in today and hear what you’re missing!  ;)

Vote “Thumbs Up” or “Thumbs Down”   

Did you know you can ‘rate’ each track in the play list?    When listening to BBM Radio, the tuner window displays the artist and title of the song that’s playing.  Next to that are a “thumbs up” and a “thumbs down” icon.  You can give the track “Thumbs Up” if you like it, or “Thumbs down” if you don’t by clicking on the appropriate icon.  We get a detailed analyzed report of all the votes, and we can see which tracks are well-liked, and which ones aren’t.  We are going to use this information going forward to cycle out some of the less-liked songs, and replace them with new tracks.  So it’s important you vote for the songs you like and the songs you don’t.  You might think your vote in November doesn’t always count, but your vote on BBM radio sure does!  As they say in Chicago, “vote early, and vote often”.  It’s real easy.  Even LaShawn can do it!  :o  :D

Now for the fun stuff!:
    As of December 20th, here are the TOP TEN HIGHEST Rated Tracks  :D :

Gustavo Santaolalla – Horse Love 2 (Second Night In The Tent)
    Boy Howdy – Cowboy’s Born With A Broken Heart
    Willie Nelson – Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond Of Each Other
    Gustavo Santaolalla – The Wings Remix (Manny Lehman, Tony Moran, Warren Rigg)
    Steve Earle – Devil’s Right Hand
    21 Grams – Did This Really Happen (Second Night In The Tent)
    John Debney – Ben Asks Pop For Help
    Howie Day – Collide
    Heather Nova – Heart & Shoulder
    Gustavo Santaolalla – Riding Horses

And landing just outside the top ten is:
    Willie Nelson – Always On My Mind

Agree or disagree with these?  Tune in and vote today! You don’t gotta stand it, because you can fix it!

Ok, and now, as of Dec. 20th, here are the top ten LOWEST RATED TRACKS:  ???  :-\

Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars
    Gustavo Santaolalla – The Wings Remix (Gabriel & Dresden’s)
    Heather Nova – All I Need
    Coldplay – I Bloom Baum
    Celine Dion – A New Day Has Come
    Hammock – Hammock 1
    Blue – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
    Gustavo Santaolalla – Camp
    Linda Ronstadt – It’s So Easy
    Pat Matheny – A Map 2

Agree or disagree that these should be the LOWEST RATED tracks?  Tune in and vote today!  You don’t gotta stand it, because you can fix it! 

PS: The tracks with the lowest ratings will be the ones for the chopping block in January.

To Shuffle or not to Shuffle?

Currently, as of 12/21, the play list is in RANDOM SHUFFLE mode.  This means any of the 165 tracks could pop up at any time in any random order.  At the beginning of the re-launch on 12/01, the tracks were in a pre-arranged order (mix tape style).  Both styles have their benefits:  Having the tracks pre-arranged can allow for control of the moods and flows of the songs and segments.  The down side, is you’ll begin to learn the play list order, and it might become stale after a while.  Having the tracks on Random Shuffle can be exciting, as you never know what you’re going to hear next. :D  However, sometimes the songs don’t “go together” back to back.  We also run the risk of going almost 18 hours without your favorite song being played, and then as the play list restarts itself, the same song can be played twice within a half an hour.  I’ve also heard it play the two station identification announcements back to back.  :o  ::)

So which do you prefer?  Random Shuffle or Pre Arranged Program? Vote here:
    http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=6965.0

(The play list will be on Random Shuffle through the end of December.)

Your Recommendations   :D

Thank you to those who have written in with their recommendations for songs for BBM Radio.  Keep the suggestions coming in!  PM sfericsf with your suggestions, and include a reason as to why the song relates to BBM.  Also, in January we are going to be going through and reviewing the “Songs that makes me think of BBM” & “Songs related to Brokeback” threads and adding titles from those suggestions as well!  :D

We hope you have enjoyed this edition of the BBM Radio Newsletter.  Your ideas and input are highly valued and appreciated.  This is YOUR radio station.  Please tell us how we can keep you listening longer, and keep Jack & Ennis in our hearts and in our dreams.

Happy Holidays!  :D
    -The BBM Radio Team
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:05:55 pm by sfericsf »

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Brokeback Got Me Good
    Re: DECEMBER BBM RADIO NEWSLETTER
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 03:24:35 pm »
    Great job!!    ;)
    Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Scott6373

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 03:37:12 pm »
    Thanks Eric for all your work.  It makes my day at work almost tolerable.  Now how can we get your sweet face plastered on the front page of BBM Radio...I'm sure listernership would triple :)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
    « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:16:09 pm »
    Thanks Eric for all your work.  It makes my day at work almost tolerable.  Now how can we get your sweet face plastered on the front page of BBM Radio...I'm sure listernership would triple :)

Or at least viewership.  :)

Eric, you are doing a wonderful job!  And I like being able to visualize you at BBM Radio Central (aka your desk!).

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
    • Town Administration
    • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
      • BetterMost
    « Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:46:29 pm »
    I also applaud and thank Eric for carrying forward our treasured radio station.  I love delegating things that I just don't have time to handle myself anymore, and now we can all benefit with the excellent work Eric has been doing!
    You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Brokeback Got Me Good
    • "So what're we gonna do now?"
    « Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 05:05:03 am »
    BBM Radio on Live365 has become a welcome part of my life.  A place where I know I will hear good tunes and now I will hear new music that relates to Brokeback.  I have added so many of these songs to my personal collection.  Before Brokeback Mountain Radio, there wasn't anywhere where I could hear 'new' music.   I knew there was good stuff out there somewhere but there wasn't anywhere to find it.  I thank everyone behind the curtain for brightening my days!

peace :)
    br. patrick
    Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
    Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
    Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
    In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 03:12:19 pm »

I WOULD AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE///          and add your lovely countenance as well so we can visualize you as we listen to you,,,,you know how this bunch is about pictures???

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
    • Brokeback got us good.
    « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 12:28:37 pm »
    I'm listening to BBM radio for the first time while snowbound in a blizzard and loving it!! It's like having a personal visit from you, Eric!! Music to soothe the fevered nerves of a snowbound wild woman!!

I love that you can buy any music you like so easily!!

Oh, and another thing...I lent my soundtrack to LauraGigs so she, an expert fiddler, could learn the music to "An Angel Went Down in Flames." Thanks to you, I don't miss it at all!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • No man is an island
    « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:14:56 pm »
    Yay!  I love the BBM radio station & the revamp is just what the doctor ordered.  Thank you so much.  Looking forward to trying out some of those features you highlighted (got to get Snow Patrol higher rated - it screams BBM to me!).
    Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
    • BetterMost Moderator
    • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
      • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
    « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:56:24 pm »
    I have a teeny issue I'd like to submit for consideration:

I'm not sure the best way to phrase this, so bear with me...It's not that I think the original soundtrack should be sacred because seeing Linda Rondstadt put back on the shelf will not cause me any stress.  Yet seeing 'Camp' shelved will make me sad.  Is it too crazy to want Gustavo's original score to be inviolate?

-Lynne

Ok, and now, as of Dec. 20th, here are the top ten LOWEST RATED TRACKS:  ???  :-\

Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars
    Gustavo Santaolalla – The Wings Remix (Gabriel & Dresden’s)
    Heather Nova – All I Need
    Coldplay – I Bloom Baum
    Celine Dion – A New Day Has Come
    Hammock – Hammock 1
    Blue – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
    Gustavo Santaolalla – Camp
    Linda Ronstadt – It’s So Easy

Pat Matheny – A Map 2

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Scott6373

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 03:46:52 pm »
    Eric I need to tell you this.  I have finished writing a fanfic that I started a few months ago.  There was doubt that I would finish it, but I started listening to BBM Radio and somehow it urged me to finish it.  Every time I wrote I would listen, in fact, I wouldn't write unless I COULD listen...it inspired me.  Thanks.

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 04:46:59 pm »
    Eric I need to tell you this.  I have finished writing a fanfic that I started a few months ago.  There was doubt that I would finish it, but I started listening to BBM Radio and somehow it urged me to finish it.  Every time I wrote I would listen, in fact, I wouldn't write unless I COULD listen...it inspired me.  Thanks.

WOW!  That's great to hear!   :D  :D  :D  :D

Now, we trust you've posted your fic in the Fan Fiction section, right?  ;)

Scott6373

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 06:12:50 pm »

WOW!  That's great to hear!   :D  :D  :D  :D

Now, we trust you've posted your fic in the Fan Fiction section, right?  ;)

Oh yes indeed

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
    • Town Administration
      • BetterMost
    « Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 12:53:43 pm »

Ang Lee said much the same thing while filming the movie.  He listened to Gustavo's music over and over again to get reminded of the flavor for the story and to keep going.  Annie Proulx had some regular favorites she listened to while writing it as a short story as well.
    You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 08:26:03 pm »

Is it too crazy to want Gustavo's original score to be inviolate?

-Lynne

I hope so too.  Though I can't remember which one Camp is.  When in the movie is it?

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 08:35:17 pm »
    I hope so too.  Though I can't remember which one Camp is.  When in the movie is it?

It's when Ennis is wittling the wooden horse.

Don't worry, "Camp" isn't going anywhere for now...