Author Topic: Now that you have the DVD...  (Read 4914 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Now that you have the DVD...
« on: April 11, 2006, 12:57:42 am »
Now that you have the DVD and have been able to watch it as often as you like, have any of your initial reactions/interpretations changed?

Heathen

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Now that you have the DVD...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:43:19 pm »
I find myself in stage one again...
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:01:19 am »
Hi,Im new here. I just saw Brokeback for the first time four days ago. Have seen it three times since. I was shattered by this movie. I have a lot to say but will have to compose myself and think on it first. I am so happy to have found this forum. :)
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 12:35:26 am »
Hi,Im new here. I just saw Brokeback for the first time four days ago. Have seen it three times since. I was shattered by this movie. I have a lot to say but will have to compose myself and think on it first. I am so happy to have found this forum. :)

Welcome!  I'm so glad you joined us.  I think a lot (most?) of us relate to 'shattered'.  Take time and jump in whenever/wherever you feel ready.  The Stages of Grief thread is a really good place to begin.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=59.msg85#msg85

-Lynne

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 12:51:01 am »
I'm new here. I saw BBM 10 times at the theater but I have only watched the dvd twice since I got it. So far with the dvd I have only watched up to the point where the guys are goofing around and wrestling, just after the 2nd tent scene and just before we see Aguierre spying on them. At that point the guys aren't married so they don't have wives that will feel hurt or betrayed, Ennis is happy (probably for the first time in his life), Jack is happy and he is alive. Eventually  I will watch the entire movie again. I bought "Story to Screenplay" so I can follow the script during the movie. I don't want to miss one thing said.

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 04:12:43 pm »
My interpretation of the first tent scene has changed after watching it on the DVD. I first thought this scene essentially depicted a moment of lust, but with the lightening effect of the DVD transfer, we can see much more of the boys' facial expressions and gestures here, and there can be little doubt that these two cowboys are already feeling a passionate or tender bond for one another. Notice especially Ennis clutching at Jack's shirt, and Jack clasping Ennis's hand with both of his.

It is also heartrending to reflect that the shirt Jack is wearing here, which Ennis grasps so ardently, is the same that will be enshrined by Ennis in his lonely trailer at the end.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:16:27 pm by moremojo »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 04:35:46 pm »
Scott-

I so agree with that! The hand holding provides a whole other level of intimacy.

Heathen

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 09:30:52 pm »
Whoa, that's really interesting about the hand-holding. I never paid attention to that yet I think I am getting the visual of it from somewhere in my memory...

I actually haven't watched the DVD yet -- and it's killing me! I've owned it since April 4th, the first day I could get my hands on a copy, and I haven't put it yet because I am being very particular about my next viewing: I want it to be at night, I want to be completely alone, I want control of the largest TV I own, I want to be able to have time to watch it and not have to worry about awakening the next morning for class or anything, etc. etc.

I may not get a chance until next weekend. If that's the case, I intend to re-read the short story and the three essays in the Story to Screenplay book to fill the BBM void.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:41:32 pm »
It is also heartrending to reflect that the shirt Jack is wearing here, which Ennis grasps so ardently, is the same that will be enshrined by Ennis in his lonely trailer at the end.

It makes my heart hurt to think of that.

I also initially thought the first tent scene was abrupt/more about lust, etc...but with each viewing I get a deeper understanding of the intimacy there.  Noticing the hand-holding and facial expressions contributed greatly to this, but so also was achieving a deeper understanding of the opening scenes and the scenes on the mountain that prepare us for the tent scene.  There are so many subtleties with the symbolism and their facial expressions and what is said vs. what is implied that it just keeps getting better and better.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 12:40:32 am »
You know, that's what I tell people that are watching for the first time.  It's a very subtle movie.  Almost quiet-like. 
There are no bells and whistles going off.  You need to watch their expressions and the way they look at each other.
When they are holding each others heads in the first tent scene, I think I drooled all over myself.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline jaaguir

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 02:32:43 pm »
I watched the dvd for the first time, and it's my second viewing of the film, since I went to the movie theater 2 months ago. In between I've read a lot about it.

This time the movie played much better to me. The first time I thought it lagged for a while just before the final confrontation. I think the reason was that I didn't fully understand the characters' motivations. Now I think I do, at least enough not to get bored for a milisecond, because I feel with the characters every step of the way.

I guess this is the reason also for caring a lot more for Lureen, which the first time I didn't do. And I've found Ennis much more expressive than before.

Also it's very entertainning to look for all the visual and dialogue symmetries I've read about all this time.

Javi

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 07:34:41 pm »
bump
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming