Author Topic: What movie shall we watch next?  (Read 14808 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
What movie shall we watch next?
« on: December 26, 2006, 10:11:14 pm »
What movie would you like to watch and discuss the similarities and differences to Brokeback Mountain? Let us know. You can select up to three options, and tell us of any other candidates!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What movie shall we watch next?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 11:29:43 am »
I added it!!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:18:34 am »
In honor of latjorme and me, I voted for Wuthering Heights.  As long as we can watch the version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche.  MEEEEOW!  I'll warn the uninitiated - you'll need a cigarette afterwards (or maybe during).
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:13:52 pm »
You don't find her constant giggling and his constant glowering irritating??

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:17:58 pm »
You don't find her constant giggling and his constant glowering irritating??

I would if I wasn't too busy being utterly mesmerized by the hotness that is the thirty-something Ralph Fiennes.  ;)

(Yeah, her laugh really did annoy me in that.  I guess she was trying to make her seem flighty or something, but it backfired.)
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:09:05 pm »
I selected Maurice.    Much like Brokeback Mountain,  it is a period piece and focuses on the lives of two young men over the course of several years.  Each taking a different path.     There are a lot of similarities in the stories.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:50:54 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:24:46 pm »
I went for 'Remains of the Day'. The Emma Thompson character is Jack and the Anthony Hopkins character is Ennis, and he too loses the love of his life because of an inability to shake the burden and expectations of his upbringing, despite her attempts to break through his repression and fear...

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:28:57 pm »
Wow! I fall behind in my BetterMost reading over the holidays, finally get around to this thread and discover people are making selections in honor of me! Thanks everybody!! Makes it doubly hard to confess that, um ... I didn't vote for Wuthering Heights  :-X

I love the book, but I've never been very satisfied with any of the film adaptations. And I'm sorry Barb, et. al, but I find it hard to picture Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff (he does play Heathcliff, I assume? not Edgar, whom I can more easily see him as?) But that's no aspersion on Ralph -- I have a hard time picturing Lawrence Olivier as Heathcliff, too. The only Heathcliff I've ever been half satisfied with is Timothy Dalton, but perhaps only because I saw that version of WH before reading the book.

Hey, this just struck me, having seen The Children of Men yesterday. You know who would make a GREAT Heathcliff? Clive Owen!

Anyway, I voted for Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. I haven't seen that one practically since it was in theaters, loved it at the time and am curious as to how it holds up. I think to some degree my love for that movie laid the groundwork for my love for BBM, 40 years later.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:30:13 am »
Hey, this just struck me, having seen The Children of Men yesterday. You know who would make a GREAT Heathcliff? Clive Owen!

Clive Owen would make a great anything IMHO. I've loved him in everything I've ever seen him in. Plus he's very easy on the eye... :P. He should definitely get his head out of his arse and play Bond after Daniel Craig has thrown in the towel...

Anyway, I voted for Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. I haven't seen that one practically since it was in theaters, loved it at the time and am curious as to how it holds up. I think to some degree my love for that movie laid the groundwork for my love for BBM, 40 years later.

I think BC&theSK holds up really well. I still adore it... ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:33:34 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 11:09:45 am »
I love the book, but I've never been very satisfied with any of the film adaptations. And I'm sorry Barb, et. al, but I find it hard to picture Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff (he does play Heathcliff, I assume? not Edgar, whom I can more easily see him as?)

He *is* Heathcliff.  If you doubt that (and it appears you do), look below and think again.  :)

No more beans!