Author Topic: Your Input Sought  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Your Input Sought
« on: December 28, 2006, 11:54:14 am »
I have a large collection of music from artists across the Rocky Mountain states and into western Canada.  Is there an interest for a Brokeback Mountain Radio 2 type service with a different program stream covering regional music that doesn't really relate to the movie or its characters, but rather just gives the flavor of the region?
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: Your Input Sought
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 12:20:16 pm »
I have often wondered at the fact that I now respond to much of the "country"/"western" music with as much emotional interest as I have in Brokeback Mountain, and also found myself intrigued by CMTs Christmas Day broadcast of the top 20 songs of Faith, hosted by Maya Angelou.  As I have said before, in other threads, I ultimately think that Brokeback Mountain is about spiritual communion and redemption, and the few songs that I was able to hear from that program seemed to resonate deeply with those themes.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 02:00:09 pm »
I would be interested in a mostly western music station, not to be confused with any most country being recorded in the past 10+ years.  It could be a good place for singer/songwriters too who are in the western tradition and have important social messages (like James McMurtry, tho he's from Texas) but who have little relevance to BBM.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:39:59 pm »
I have a large collection of music from artists across the Rocky Mountain states and into western Canada.  Is there an interest for a Brokeback Mountain Radio 2 type service with a different program stream covering regional music that doesn't really relate to the movie or its characters, but rather just gives the flavor of the region?

Theoretically (in that I haven't heard the music yet that you are referring to), I would be happy with having it included in our regular BBM Radio.  Seems like it would relate.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 12:14:00 am »
Theoretically (in that I haven't heard the music yet that you are referring to), I would be happy with having it included in our regular BBM Radio.  Seems like it would relate.

Actually, when I put together the original playlist for BBM Radio back in February and then updated it until around June or so, I carefully selected every song with the requirement that it -must- relate to the movie, the scenery, the characters, or the story in some obvious way.  If a song relayed a story of love and caring and used "she" in the lyrics, it was out.  If it only vaguely related to the basic story but then drifted off into something else, I rejected it.  I wanted BBM Radio to speak specifically to the emotional impact of the film.

Adding songs that simply don't pertain to the movie or the story dilutes that effort considerably, which is why I would consider creating a second service (a Radio 2 so to speak) that would have a different criteria - offering music that would be familiar to people living on the ground in the region that gives us insight into the culture of both the mountain west and Canadian Rockies (Alberta in particular).

A BBM Radio 2 would be far easier to program because it would have a far broader potential playlist.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:05:35 am »
Actually, when I put together the original playlist for BBM Radio back in February and then updated it until around June or so, I carefully selected every song with the requirement that it -must- relate to the movie, the scenery, the characters, or the story in some obvious way.  If a song relayed a story of love and caring and used "she" in the lyrics, it was out.  If it only vaguely related to the basic story but then drifted off into something else, I rejected it.  I wanted BBM Radio to speak specifically to the emotional impact of the film.

Adding songs that simply don't pertain to the movie or the story dilutes that effort considerably, which is why I would consider creating a second service (a Radio 2 so to speak) that would have a different criteria - offering music that would be familiar to people living on the ground in the region that gives us insight into the culture of both the mountain west and Canadian Rockies (Alberta in particular).

A BBM Radio 2 would be far easier to program because it would have a far broader potential playlist.

Ah, gotcha.  Yes, I would be interested in a BBM Radio 2.