Author Topic: inventing recipes for elk  (Read 2636 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
inventing recipes for elk
« on: December 29, 2006, 06:04:15 pm »
So, do you think that a green chile stew would taste all right with both pork and elk stew meat mixed together? Or should I make the pork stew once, and make the elk stew later?

(Other ingredients: onion, cumin, oregano, chicken broth, frozen roasted green chiles, crushed tomatoes, garlic, potatoes. Throw it in the crock pot overnight and see if it tastes good in the morning.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: inventing recipes for elk
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 06:51:12 pm »
That sounds good to me, Mel!  Isn't the whole idea of stew to throw all sorts of stuff together and allow it to make its own flavor?  Unless elk meat is awfully strong-tasting, I'll bet it will be delicious.

What are you serving with it?  Biscuits?  Yum!  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 07:07:01 pm »
The other half thinks maybe we ought to save the elk meat and try that in a stew separately. (Venison does have a pretty strong flavor.) So I think we'll do that.

I think we'll eat it with tortillas. I bought some chips and an avocado, so I can make some simple guacamole, too.

Green chile is traditional food here, and I've got lots of roasted green chiles in the freezer, so I thought I should try and see if I can make something.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:33:22 pm »

I think we'll eat it with tortillas. I bought some chips and an avocado, so I can make some simple guacamole, too.

Green chile is traditional food here, and I've got lots of roasted green chiles in the freezer, so I thought I should try and see if I can make something.
Woo-hooo! Elk tacos, my kind of dish!! Is it wild elk or farm-raised? You know, the latter doesn't have a strong taste, no stronger than beef or buffalo. If it's wild, you might marinate it in some red wine or brine it, if it's been frozen.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 07:39:05 pm »
I bought it at the natural foods co-op, so I think it's probably farm raised, unless somebody got too big of an elk for their family. Haven't had farm-raised elk before, just extra meat when friends got something big.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 07:42:35 pm »
I envy you being able to get avocado. There's no avocado available here no matter what the price!! What a strange turn of events this is!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"