Author Topic: Favorite Lines from Books and Movies  (Read 66496 times)

moremojo

Re: Favorite Lines from Books and Movies
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 09:09:41 pm »
Dr. Frank-N-Furter (played marvellously by Tim Curry) in The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975): "It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache."

moremojo

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 09:13:18 pm »
Mrs. Gert Hammond (played superbly by Marion Eaton) in Thundercrack! (1975): "The thing he loved most in life was crushed by the weight of his own testicles."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 09:08:52 pm »
From The Tokaido Road by Lucia St. Clair Robson:

"A line of women balanced wood tubs on their heads as they walked along the shoreline.  They wore their sashes brashly tied in front.  The well-side gossip was that men who bought their flatfish, mollusks, and seaweed could also rent their clams."

From the brilliant brilliant Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard, chapter "Fecundity":

"...Edwin Way Teale reports that a lone aphid, without a partner, breeding 'unmolested' for one year, would produce so many living aphids that, although they are only a tenth of an inch long, together they would extend into space 25,000 light years.  Even the average goldfish lays 5000 eggs, which she will eat as fast as she lays if permitted.  The sales manager at Ozark Fisheries which raises commercial goldfish for the likes of me said, 'We produce, measure and sell our product by the ton.'...[life] multiplied mindlessly into tons and lightyears is more than extravagance, it is holocaust, parody, glut....a glob of tar [found in the middle of the Atlantic] was overgrown with gooseneck barnacles...how many...larva must be out there in the middle of the vast oceans for every one that finds a glob of tar to fasten to?  If I gathered a cup of ocean water would I be holding scores of dead and dying barnacle larva?  Should I throw them a chip?  What kind of world is this, anyway? Why not make fewer barnacle larva and give them a decent chance?  Are we dealing in life, or in death?"

injest

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 02:49:51 am »
From The Tokaido Road by Lucia St. Clair Robson:

"A line of women balanced wood tubs on their heads as they walked along the shoreline.  They wore their sashes brashly tied in front.  The well-side gossip was that men who bought their flatfish, mollusks, and seaweed could also rent their clams."

From the brilliant brilliant Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard, chapter "Fecundity":

"...Edwin Way Teale reports that a lone aphid, without a partner, breeding 'unmolested' for one year, would produce so many living aphids that, although they are only a tenth of an inch long, together they would extend into space 25,000 light years.  Even the average goldfish lays 5000 eggs, which she will eat as fast as she lays if permitted.  The sales manager at Ozark Fisheries which raises commercial goldfish for the likes of me said, 'We produce, measure and sell our product by the ton.'...[life] multiplied mindlessly into tons and lightyears is more than extravagance, it is holocaust, parody, glut....a glob of tar [found in the middle of the Atlantic] was overgrown with gooseneck barnacles...how many...larva must be out there in the middle of the vast oceans for every one that finds a glob of tar to fasten to?  If I gathered a cup of ocean water would I be holding scores of dead and dying barnacle larva?  Should I throw them a chip?  What kind of world is this, anyway? Why not make fewer barnacle larva and give them a decent chance?  Are we dealing in life, or in death?"

really nice, Delalluvia  :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 10:25:35 pm »
From The Princess Bride:

Vizzini: INCONCEIVABLE!

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

From Archangel by Sharon Shinn:

"I am not one man.  I am the heir of hundreds of other men and women who shaped the world according to Jovah's plan.  What you have made of Samaria is not what they intended."

"But the world changes."

"And it will change again."

From Jovah's Angel by Sharon Shinn:

'Thank you Jovah," she whispered,"You are very good."

"I exist to do your will," he said.

She smiled a little, "...the world is not at all as I had believed it."

"Yet the world is the same as it always was. It is merely that you see with new eyes."

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 11:20:03 am »
We who are left behind watch you on your way....
The long prison of the years unlocks it's iron door,
Go free now, into the beautiful land....
Forgive us who suffer in this clouded land,
Guide us and wait for us, as we wait for you.
We will meet again.
....We will meet again.

That's from a book: "Firesong" by William Nicholson. I guess it's kind of a childrens book but I love it and that bit always makes me cry, I rarely cry over books. I recommend it though, it's the third of a trilogy.

From "Ed Wood"
"Nah, I'm all man.  I even fought in WW2....Course, I was wearing ladies' undergarments under my uniform."

And, of course, the whole Smurf conversation from "Donnie Darko", I don't care if it's puerile, I think it's funny :)

First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village. But the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have... reproductive organs under those little, white pants. It's just so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. You know, what's the point of living... if you don't have a dick?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:28:35 am by insane-romantic »
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 08:12:29 am »
MOVIES

Gone with The Wind

Scarlett: Rhett... if you go, where shall I go, what shall I do?
Rhett Butler: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Casablanca

Rick: Your cash is good at the bar.
Banker: What? Do you know who I am?
Rick: I do. You're lucky the bar's open to you

Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee)

Tina: Trust you? The last time I trusted you, Mookie, I ended up with a son.

BOOKS

The Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger)

All morons hate it when you call them a moron.

In the first place, I'm sort of an atheist. I like Jesus and all, but I don't care too much for most of the other stuff in the Bible. Take the Disciples, for instance. They annoyed the hell out of me, if you want to know the truth. They were all right after Jesus was dead and all, but while He was alive, they were about as much use to Him as a hole in the head. All they did was keep letting Him down. I like almost anybody in the Bible better than the Disciples. If you want to know the truth, the guy I like best in the Bible, next to Jesus, was that lunatic and all, that lived in the tombs and kept cutting himself with stones. I like him ten times as much as the Disciples, that poor bastard.

La vida es sueño.   (Pedro Calerón de la Barca)
(Life is a dream)

"¿Qué es la vida? Un frenesí. (What is life? A frenzy)
¿Qué es la vida? Una ilusión, (What's life? An illusion)
una sombra, una ficción; (A shadow, a fiction)
y el mayor bien es pequeño; (It is greatest good is small)
que toda la vida es sueño, (All life is a dream)
y los sueños, sueños son." (And dreams are just dreams)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:51:48 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 07:13:37 pm »
From Dirty Harry ..  8) 
You gotta admire his straightforward way of saying things ..  :P

"Well, opinions are like a--holes, everyone's got one."

Harry just got suspended, he is upset and hands in his badge:

"Well, here's a 7-point suppository for you .."
Boss looks at him stunned.   "What did you say?"
Harry, with a growl:  "I said stick it in your a$$" ..

Harry has to explain why he shot a man..
Harry Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.
The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

And the ultimate:
  8)
You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya punk?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 08:38:27 pm »
"Leeloo Dallas Multi Pass"   :D

-The Fifth Element

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 12:56:46 am »
This is from Be Here Now, by Ram Dass: You just love until you and the beloved become one.
"chewing gum and duct tape"