Author Topic: Favorite Lines from Books and Movies  (Read 66071 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Favorite Lines from Books and Movies
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 05:53:35 am »
AAAhhh...what fun!

"They weren't too big on ballpoints in 1943"---"Angel Heart" (?)

"More!"--Lone Star (Sales, director)

""Plus I feel sorry for him myself--a a man who don't know where he belong, gotta be in a whole lotta pain."---"A Soldier's Story" (Jewison, director)

"Kill the poys and the luggage--tis expressly against the law of arms!"---Henry V (Shakespeare)

"I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there."
(agreeing, but not very interested) "Yeah."----duh

"Sounding in moral virtue was his speeche
And gladly would he learn, and gladly teache."--Cantervbury Tales (Chaucer)

"Struck trees die black
Fire in the Air
Leaves not a Wrack
of Bone nor Hair."---Possession (A.S. Byatt)

"To die will be an awfully big adventure."--Peter and Wendy (Barrie)

"Every little cloud
always sings out loud."--Winnie-the-Pooh (Milne)

"A woman may be proud and stiff
when on love intent,
but love has pitched his mansion
in the place of excrement
and nothing can be whole, or sole,
till it has first been rent."  --Crazy Jane Talks to the Bishop (Yeats)

"You should have been there"--"Queer as Folk"

"You shoulda been there."---Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)

"Not the station where all the trains stoip; the station where all the stations stop."---"Wings of Desire" (Wim Wenders director)

(first two words in French)"It's called 'riding the dragon''"-"-Barbarian Invasions" (director Denys Arcand)

"Guess I haven't got a choice."---"Forever Blue"  (Tom Pettit, writer)

"Cats and dogs are coming down,
14th street is going to drown
everyone is rushing round
I've got blond on blond."
                                   "Sommersturn," German film....that almost nobody
saw.

"My guard stood hard when abstract threats
to noble to neglect
deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect,
Good and bad, I defined these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm youngerthan that now."
                                      "My back Pages," Bob Dylan, last verse, end of "Forever Blue"

That's about enough out of me, huh?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:46:37 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 01:06:17 pm »
These are terrific, Julie!!!!!

I especially love the Yeats and the Wim Wenders

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 01:49:48 pm »
Thanks! (Not that I wrote them!)

Added a couple more..somebody stop me.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 02:12:24 am »
From the fantastic book “Ghosts of Vesuvius”.   If you missed the original book thread, I highly recommended everyone who likes reading non-fiction to run not walk to get this book.  The author is a scientist, I’m not sure what his specialty is, but he is working and has worked on the ancient volcanic ruins around Vesuvius, 2 miles down at the Titanic wreck and at Ground Zero in Manhattan.

First something amazing about the author, Charles Pellegrino.  Either he’s one of the luckiest men alive or someone has it out for him really bad:

“I know this [time-dilation when in a life or death situation] to be true…In 1975 the truck I was driving was pierced by engine parts from a crashing 727 jetliner.  One hundred and twenty people died around me… I survived with only a bump on my head…I’ve been taken to the brink of death (and back) by a disease most physicians had never seen before, I’ve plane crashed again, then submarine-crashed…rockslided, tornadoed, shot at, slashed, stabbed, hand-grenaded and almost blown up with the Dead Sea Scrolls (this was in Jerusalem during a 1991 incident…in the failed attack…it was a dud…an archaeologist told me that ‘someone must have really been watching out’ for me on account of while everyone else in the room had ducked for cover, I had remained standing, looking stupidly at the grenade trying to decide [if it was real] or just something that “really did look like a grenade”.   “Don’t let [the author]’s head inflate with self-importance,” said a rabbi, “God wasn’t watching out for [him], he just happened to be standing near the scrolls and God did not want the scrolls to be harmed.”)”

“If not for a sudden crisis in my family, in July of 1996 [wherein I cancelled my flight so that] … I was on the beach with my little girl when Flight 800 passed overhead and minutes later, exploded on the horizon...  [My daughter] called my attention to the explosion…”Oh, Moon!  Pretty.” She had said…”

He comments about Roman emperor Constantine and the Council of Nicacea:

“To settle the reincarnation debate, two votes were held in Nicaea.  In the first vote the bishops were asked to choose between the afterlife taking place (a) in…heaven  or (b) …here on earth.  The first vote [results] weighed in against the earthly reincarnations, whereupon Constantine ordered the immediate execution of those who voted for a belief in an earthly [afterlife].

He then held a second vote…the second vote was unanimous, of course.”

About his attitude toward nature:

“Nature did not “select against” the dinosaurs so much as plow over them without even noticing.  Those who say we humans must be wise and be caretakers of the earth or nature will take revenge against us, are missing a far more frightening, far more sobering point:  Nature does not notice us.  Nature does not care.”

He was researching the wreck of the Titanic with a Russian research vessel on 9/11.  Once the news got out to everyone on the research vessel:

“The Russians raised an American flag on the stern of their ship and over the speaker system they played Ray Charles singing “America the Beautiful” (unable apparently to find, anywhere on board, a recording of “The Star Spangled Banner”).

He reminds his readers of the engineering crew on board the Titanic who kept the lights going until the very last second, knowing that when they were no longer able to do their job, it would be too late for them to escape.  He honors them and recalls similar heroic actions by an engineering crew on 9/11:

“Officially the city (under the Towers) was being abandoned [during the 9/11 attack), but engineer Frank DeMartini and his team remained below, commanding the lighting…[Officer] Vargas noticed that the lights occasionally flickered, but always the power was restored.  Always.  FDNY Battalion Commander…also noticed that the lights, though strained, always prevailed.  Even after the South Tower collapsed…he would recall the North Tower had lights again after only 20 seconds…he would never forget how, on a day when monsters took wing…the men behind the [power] grid also existed and outnumbered the monsters.  He would always remember DeMartini’s team who perished, every one of them, belowground...”

And another group:

“Look at the helicopter crews [on 9/11] over and around the Towers – who, when news that a third plane might be on the way and that they should be prepared to stop it in the only way possible, radioed back an expressionless, ‘Affirmative’…”

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 05:36:54 am »
Best insult in a movie - from 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', delivered by a guard in a comedy French accent:

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Hands up who said this to themselves in said comedy accent - it is funnier that way  ;))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:39:57 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 03:29:07 pm »
[sheepish]  Hands up.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2007, 06:27:52 pm »
Thomas Mann died in 1955; he made a recording for the"This I believe" radio broadcast that year. he starts out by telling us how science has pro\ven that, in the great scheme of things, we ain't nothin'.  Then he goes on to say that. nevertheless, he geels it is natural for man to believe that each step in the evolution of man on earth was a new creation: the one-celled animals, the land animals, man. And that the failure of mankind, through his own faults, would signify the failure of creation itself. Thn he pauses and says:

"Whether this is true, or not true, it would be a good ideas if men behaved as if it were."

(It's actually one of those sentences that's short6er in German than English! "Sei es so, oder nicht so, es waere gut, wenn der Mensch sich be4nehme, als wasere es so.")

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2007, 10:18:33 pm »
From the movie Armageddon:

AJ:  You ever heard of Evel Kneivel?
Lev:  No, I never saw 'Star Wars'.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 02:58:36 pm »
(Hands up who said this to themselves in said comedy accent - it is funnier that way  ;))

What other way is there to say it? I LOVE that movie. (I highly recommend Mothy Python's Spamalot, the musical based off that movie.)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
From Love Actually, one of my favorite movies.

Harry: Tell me, exactly, how long it is that you've been working here?
Sarah: Two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, what, two hours?
Harry: And how long have you been in love with Karl, our enigmatic chief designer?
Sarah: Ahm, two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, an hour and thirty minutes.
Harry: I thought as much.
Sarah: Do you think everybody knows?
Harry: Yes.
Sarah: Do you think Karl knows?
Harry: Yes.
Sarah: Oh that is bad news.
Harry: Well I just thought maybe the time had come to do something about it.
Sarah: Like what?
Harry: Invite him out for a drink and then after about twenty minutes casually drop into the conversation the fact that you'd like to marry him and have lots of sex and babies.
Sarah: You know that?
Harry: Yes. And so does Karl. Think about it. For all our sakes. It's Christmas.
Sarah: Certainly. Excellent. Will do. Thanks, boss.

[Natalie, a secretary, is greeting the Prime Minister]
Natalie: Hello, David. I mean "sir". Shit, I can't believe I've just said that. Oh, and now I've gone and said "shit" - twice. I'm so sorry, sir.
Prime Minister: It's fine, it's fine. You could've said "fuck", and then we'd have been in real trouble.
Natalie: Thank you, sir. I did have an awful premonition that I was going to fuck up on the first day. Oh, piss-it!