Author Topic: Favorite Lines from Books and Movies  (Read 66079 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Favorite Lines from Books and Movies
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2008, 09:49:54 pm »

"Nuke" LaLoosh [embarrassed and angry, rushes the stranger in the alley]:  Who the hell are you?

The calm stranger gives him a single punch that lays out the bigger, younger man into the garbage with a faint "good punch" wafting weakly up.

"Crash" Davis:  I'm your new catcher.  And you just got Rule #1, don't think.  It can only hurt the ball club.

From Bull Durham

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2009, 07:09:19 pm »
bump day bump!  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »
"Jasper had the palest blue eyes I've ever looked into. They were hydrangea blue, the blue of a summer mid-afternoon, or, rather, the blue that you find at the base of a flame. I never got tired of looking into them, or having Jasper to look at, or of having Jasper look at me. Jasper was, I thought, as handsome as a man can be, without his being Italian.

Sometimes in Rome, in fact every day in  Rome, I have seen men more handsome than Jasper. You can see better looking men than Jasper every day in the Piazza del Popolo or on the Via del Corso. In Rome, even the policemen are so handsome that Dominic, full of grappa one night, could not resist flirting with a group of them, at three in the morning, in the Piazza Barberini. They were amused, thank God.

But this is Rome, it is only in Rome.

It could be Florence, Siena, Bologna, Genoa, Venice, but it isn't. It just isn't true there. It is only in Rome that you will be overcome by the dark, opulent beauty of the men.

Dominic said that God knew what he was doing when he made Italians.

Of course, that is what all Italians say."

from "Such Times"
by Christopher Coe
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:21:14 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2009, 12:00:49 pm »
"Jasper had the palest blue eyes I've ever looked into. They were hydrangea blue, the blue of a summer mid-afternoon, or, rather, the blue that you find at the base of a flame. I never got tired of looking into them, or having Jasper to look at, or of having Jasper look at me. Jasper was, I thought, as handsome as a man can be, without his being Italian.

Sometimes in Rome, in fact every day in  Rome, I have seen men more handsome than Jasper. You can see better looking men than Jasper every day in the Piazza del Popolo or on the Via del Corso. In Rome, even the policemen are so handsome that Dominic, full of grappa one night, could not resist flirting with a group of them, at three in the morning, in the Piazza Barberini. They were amused, thank God.

But this is Rome, it is only in Rome.

It could be Florence, Siena, Bologna, Genoa, Venice, but it isn't. It just isn't true there. It is only in Rome that you will be overcome by the dark, opulent beauty of the men.

Dominic said that God knew what he was doing when he made Italians.

Of course, that is what all Italians say."

from "Such Times"
by Christopher Coa

*Jess booking a trip to Rome!!!  :o :o*

*Jess's husband canceling the trip*

>:( >:(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »
*Jess booking a trip to Rome!!!  :o :o*

*Jess's husband canceling the trip*

>:( >:(

:laugh:     :laugh:     :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »

"The thunderclap of its guns edged ever closer.  After a while, the rhythm of its shooting sounded like an extended drum solo in a rock song...It was the wrathful approach of the United States of America, footsteps of the great god of red, white and blue.

It was the best fucking sound in the world."

from Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2009, 02:54:34 pm »
From Tattoo Machine

Tattoo artist giving his opinion of customers:

"And don't bother giving me any kind of line like:  'I'm a lawyer. Here's my card if you ever need any advice...To the very rich, we'll [tattoo artists] always be to the left of your waiter and a step above the poor soul who details your Hummer...And sweetheart, touching you is not my reward at the end of the rainbow.  It's my job.  Someone with a nicer rack than yours will be in soon...beauty translates for some into a bending of the rules, a "Lucky You" mentality so trite and common it's ugly.  No tip, demanding of special treatment...it's tiresome at the very least.

Vegans smell like fried chicken when they sweat.  And they tend to pass out.  For heaven's sake, can't something be done about that?"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16:00 am »
"I reached out and touched his hair. He turned and kissed my hand. I moved closer until we were standing against each other. He smelt like soap and clean clothes. Gentle. Just holding and kissing gently. If this had been it, if I had died then, I would have said it was enough."

from Holding the Man

by Timothy Conigrave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holding_the_Man
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2010, 10:15:38 am »
The stranger said, "I have only just landed. I came up the river tonight. I thought perhaps . . . I have an introduction for the senora from a great friend of hers."

"She is asleep," the boy repeated.

"If you would let me come in," the man said with an odd frightening smile, and suddenly lowering his voice he said to the boy, "I am a priest."

"You?" the boy exclaimed.

"Yes." he said gently. "My name is Father - " But the boy had already swung the door open and put his lips to his hand before the other could give himself a name.

The Power and the Glory

Graham Greene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_and_the_Glory

I recently came across a battered old copy of Graham Greene's magnificent novel, "The Power and the Glory" with my name inscribed in adolescent copperplate on the inside cover, along with the date 1967. I'd last read it when I was a teenager. It's an understatement to say I enjoyed  re-reading it. It would be more accurate to say I exhilarated  in re-reading it!

They just don't write novels like this any more. Read it! Not to be missed.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:39 am »
Thanks for the tip, Kerry! I have this book but haven't read it yet.

I loved The Quiet American, and enjoyed Our Man in Havana and The Comedians.