Author Topic: Saddam executed; Your thoughts?  (Read 24032 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Saddam executed; Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:49:41 pm »
I was going to write - the sooner they do it the better (as if they had left it any longer there could have been more bloodshed via his supporters 'getting their own back')...... but after a brief scan of the story, it seems since I haven't caught the news today I have missed that they have already done it.

Lets hope everyone - Iraqi's, American's, Iranian's, Europeans, - can move on today and make 2007 one where troops can be brought home and we can try to move forwards and see a more peaceful world in 2007.

Big ask, it might be, but we can wish. 
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:21:42 pm »
I think that he should have been tried for the other crimes against humanity before he was hastily executed, such as the genocide of thousands of Kurds by his regime. 

I don't think that his death will bring peace, Saddam is only one man .. the insurgency continues, the car bombs, the suicide attacks will surely continue. 

Since the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, over 600,000 Iraqis and over 2000 US troops have been killed.  Not to mention the casualties from other allies supporting the war.  When will it end?  The time for peace is now, how long before it comes?  God only knows..

We can all hope for a peaceful 2007!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 03:31:10 pm »
I'll say this much, and only this much: They sure don't fool around over there. Regardless of the rightness or wrongness of the situation, in the U.S. he'd still be sitting in a jail cell 20 years from now, more likely to die of old age than from his sentence being enforced.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 03:45:11 pm »
That's a good point, Milli, that there were plenty more crimes he needed to face at trial before a hasty sentence was carried out.  Not that the trial was remotely just - what kind of due process can it be when defense attorneys are murdered with impunity and they're quickly replaced and the show just goes on?

But, I am 100% against the death penalty.  Saddam was evil, no doubt, but life in maximum security would have suited me fine as just punishment.

IMO, killing is wrong except when your own life is in imminent danger.  And state-sponsored killing is worse - it's simply revenge dressed up as justice.

We have now lost more American soldiers lives in Iraq than were killed on 9/11 and that does not include the hundreds of thousands of civilians, Iraqi soldiers, Allied forces, contractors working to rebuild, and attorneys.  Have we captured Bin Laden?  No.  Bush's war on terror is one big-a$$ diversion tactic from the real issues.

And another casualty in this war is the US itself.  We've lost any credibility we ever had with most of the world.  You got room there in Canada for me, Milli?

Sorry..rant over.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 04:01:08 pm »
I don't oppose the death penalty at all.

Saddam had it coming and this is pure karma catching up with him.

IMO, he got off easy.  His many many many victims suffered a lot more than he did.

Saddam's death isn't suppose to 'solve' anything.  This is pure punishment for his crimes.  And many Iraqis support the execution from all signs.  They are the ones who wanted him tried.  They got the verdict they knew was correct and the punishment they felt fit the crime.  Or at least was acceptable.

Left up to the tribal/street justice, Saddam would have been hanging upside down in front of a gas station a long time ago.

injest

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 04:16:39 pm »
As you watch the Shiite government hang Saddam in Iraq, remember that the Shiite government hangs gay teenagers next door in Iran.

yes it is so clear isn't it Delalluvia....so you approve of this?

the point is not whether Saddam 'had it coming' (most Shites also believe these two boys 'had it coming') it is whether we intend to be like him. It strikes me watching the coverage about the things they list as his crimes and as evidence of his inhumanity...they include these: summary and quick executions of opponents (hmmm); his viewing of executions of opponents on video (how many times has it been shown on our tvs??)

And many Iraqis support the execution from all signs.  They are the ones who wanted him tried.  They got the verdict they knew was correct and the punishment they felt fit the crime.  Or at least was acceptable.

Left up to the tribal/street justice, Saddam would have been hanging upside down in front of a gas station a long time ago

surely you draw the line at lynching? It is not the majorities opinion that decides what is just...how many blacks and gays have been lynched because of that mindset?

We went into Iraq under false pretenses...whatever you think of Saddam.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 04:34:45 pm by injest »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
Lynne got it right ...

There are only a handful a countries in the world that still sponsors state executions. Killing is wrong, and Canada ain't the only civilized country in the world ta say so.

As far as our immigration policy... We (Canada) accept(s) about 1/3 of a milion a immigrants here every year - roughly 1% of the current population - one a the reason why we shouldn't have any problems with our old age pension plan. Of course, we too have some illegal "aliens" ...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 04:24:52 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 04:34:25 pm »
What the world needs now:

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 04:35:23 pm »
yes it is so clear isn't it Delalluvia....so you approve of this?

OK, so you're asking, do I believe in capital punishment for EVERYTHING?

Of course not.  That's ludicrous.  For extreme violent crimes?  For sociopaths/psychopaths?  Most certainly.

That fits Saddam to a T.

the point is not whether Saddam 'had it coming' (most Shites also believe these two boys 'had it coming') it is whether we intend to be like him.

The Iraqi people wanted him tried and approved of his execution.  Are you saying that because people want a psychopathic mass murderer executed, punished for his crimes, that makes Joe in the Street exactly the same as Saddam?

People who've probably lived their whole lives in peace never hurt a fly and never want to, are suddenly the same as Saddam?

I don't see how the two can possibly be compared.

It strikes me watching the coverage about the things they list as his crimes and as evidence of his inhumanity...they include these: summary and quick executions of opponents (hmmm); his viewing of executions of opponents on video (how many times has it been shown on our tvs??)

Did they also list the outright murders, tortures and gassing of the Kurds?  Hmmm.

surely you draw the line at lynching? It is not the majorities opinion that decides what is just...how many blacks and gays have been lynched because of that mindset?

Of course I draw the line at lynching.  I believe in a justice system.  Mine just happens to include captial punishment for extreme violent crimes, which I approve of.

We went into Iraq under false pretenses...whatever you think of Saddam.

Yes we did, whatever I think of Saddam.