Author Topic: Saddam executed; Your thoughts?  (Read 23767 times)

injest

Re: Saddam executed; Your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 05:58:04 pm »
Yep, because by then, it will be their country.  It will be acceptable and moral to them.  I will have a differing opinon, obviously, so I probably wouldn't stay in that country

But the Shiites are the majority of the population.  We had him in custody to await the punishment as meted out by an Iraqi govenrment.

True, but in reality it doesn't work that way, otherwise we'd have minorities telling the entire nation what could and couldn't be done and what is that but an autocracy? 

You mean punishment, don't you?  A rich person can be tried for a crime and found gulty but not given the death penalty, while poor ones don't escape it.  The justice system was consistent.  It tried them both and found them both guilty.  They will both be punished.  It's just a matter of the degree.

So the justice system isn't broken.

Yes, but do you know of ANY system that doesn't have a flaw?  If you wait for perfection, you will be waiting a long time.

I have enjoyed debating with you...but that comment just goes too far for me.

Have a good day.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 06:00:32 pm »
Executing Saddam was wrong because death penalty is wrong. Simple as that.

Death penalty is cruel, against the human dignity and it violates human rights. It is revenge, not justice. It represents the archaic, old testament law of "An eye for an eye". But an eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind (Ghandi).

We don't need to discuss whether Saddam was a mass murderer. He deserved to be imprisoned for the rest of his life.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 06:02:08 pm »
so you believe that you can do bad things and get away with them if you do a nice thing in addition? I don't agree...doing wrong will harm you no matter how much good you do...you can't steal with one hand and give with the other then call yourself honorable.

I guess this depends on your personal philosophy.  I think it does.  There is no black and white in this life, why should there be anywhere else?

As for honor...well, who says they're calling themselves honorable?  Don't call yourself that and that's that.   In regards to your:

there was a time we did things with honor...because we aspired to be a better people. we didn't take them summarily to the gas chambers in the concentration camps and throw them in....because we were NOT LIKE THEM...we won by being above them, not by laying in the dirt with them.

I submit in response that there was a time where we did things to simulate that we did things with honor.  You read a little bit more history and you find very few things done because it was the 'right' thing to do.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 06:04:06 pm »
I have enjoyed debating with you...but that comment just goes too far for me.

Have a good day.

I'm sorry to hear that.  What did you get offended by?  To me, this was just staing facts.

EDITED TO ADD:  Oops, sorry, just saw the highlighted portion.

Sorry, but I'm a moral relativist.  Things are moral simply because we say they are, not because they are intrinsically.  Like it or not, what you got offended by already exists in real life.  There are countries like that.  [shrug]

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »
no he would have had a trial at Nurenburg with the rest of his cohorts...a public trial by people who were not his political rivals;  with attorneys that were able to actually live thru the entire trial...competent attorneys. and then he would have been held until appeals were heard.

there was a time we did things with honor...because we aspired to be a better people. we didn't take them summarily to the gas chambers in the concentration camps and throw them in....because we were NOT LIKE THEM...we won by being above them, not by laying in the dirt with them.

Jess - I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Can you explain what you mean a bit further? 

Sadam had an appeal and it was not held. The Iraqi law WAS upheld in this instance - while some of us may not agree with it. While members of the defebce team were killed - so were there on the other side - and there was a TEAM in place to ensure that the trial was kept going.

And the gas chambers is exactly what Hitler did. And Sadam. Has anyone holding Sadam and his cohorts done this to the best of our knoweldge?

As I said before - we all have differing opinions in the subject - and there is no right or wrong answer against the death penalty.

That is what a good debate is about - its good we have the opportunity to do this. We wouldn't have in Sadam's Iraq.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2006, 06:27:15 pm »
That is what a good debate is about - its good we have the opportunity to do this. We wouldn't have in Sadam's Iraq.
My understanding is that gay people won't have that opportunity under the new Shiite government in Iraq either. Under the Shiite government in Iran, they hang them (see the boys pictured above in Iran).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 06:54:13 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 06:55:31 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2006, 07:03:32 pm »
The US stands proudly with with our colleagues Iran, China, and the Congo in the right of the state to execute teenagers.

Besides Iran, only China, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Pakistan and the United States are known to have put juvenile offenders to death in the past five years.

The U.S. executed nine juvenile offenders during this period; the other countries are each known to have put one juvenile offender to death.

I think I read something similiar when the US executed Timothy McVeigh for the Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people including 19 children in a daycare.

injest

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 07:06:04 pm »
My understanding is that gay people won't have that opportunity under the new Shiite government in Iraq either. Under the Shiite government in Iran, they hang them (see the boys pictured above in Iran).

Wayne

It is fine that they hung those boys for being lovers...it was the majority opinion and their own country...they can kill whoever they choose. It was just and moral!!

What difference should it make to us? *SHRUG*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 07:20:13 pm by injest »

injest

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 07:13:14 pm »
Jess - I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Can you explain what you mean a bit further? 

Sadam had an appeal and it was not held. The Iraqi law WAS upheld in this instance - while some of us may not agree with it. While members of the defebce team were killed - so were there on the other side - and there was a TEAM in place to ensure that the trial was kept going.

And the gas chambers is exactly what Hitler did. And Sadam. Has anyone holding Sadam and his cohorts done this to the best of our knoweldge?

As I said before - we all have differing opinions in the subject - and there is no right or wrong answer against the death penalty.

I am getting at...they (Nuremburg) waited until there was stability and the war was OVER before they started summarily executing people. I just do not understand this rush to execution...except in the light that the US leaders wanted it to be fast..

and Saddam DID rush people thru trials and execute them in a big rush...it is considered to be one of his crimes