Author Topic: The News Sleuth Presents: Sundance Festival Update  (Read 5024 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
The News Sleuth Presents: Sundance Festival Update
« on: December 30, 2006, 07:00:54 pm »
Remember me? The News Sleuth? Back in IMDb days, and in the early days here at Bettermost, I used to comb the Internet for interesting BBM news stories. I knew I was scraping the bottom of the barrel when I was posting movies reviews of BBM from Malaysia. But, now, we are the end of the year with Top Ten Movie Lists and all the rest. So...I shall try to chase down a few interesting news items for everyone's reading pleasure. Stay tuned and comments welcome!

Leslie
News Sleuth
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:07:05 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The News Sleuth Presents Some End of the Year Movie News
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 07:02:23 pm »
Okay, something interesting from the Library of Congress.

http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=headlines&Id=3536

NATIONAL FILM REGISTRY ANNOUNCES 2006 ADDITIONS
(2006-12-27)
The Library of Congress has released the list of films being added to the National Film Registry for 2006. "Rocky," "Groundhog Day," "Blazing Saddles," "Notorious," "sex, lies and videotapes" and "Fargo" among the 25 that made the cut. Read on:

"Many Americans typically spend the holiday season flocking to movie theaters nationwide. But even as they enjoy the latest releases, vast portions of the nation’s movie heritage are vanishing.

It is estimated that 50 percent of the films produced before 1950, and 80 to 90 percent made before 1920, have disappeared forever. The Library of Congress is working to stanch those losses by recognizing, and working with many organizations to preserve, films that are “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant.

Librarian of Congress James H. Billington today added 25 motion pictures to the National Film Registry to be preserved for all time, bringing the total number of films on the registry to 450.

In making the announcement, Billington said: “The annual selection of films to the National Film Registry involves far more than the simple naming of cherished and important films to a prestigious list. The Registry should not be seen as ‘The Kennedy Center Honors,’ ‘The Academy Awards,’ or even ‘America’s Most Beloved Films.’ Rather, it is an invaluable means to advance public awareness of the richness, creativity and variety of American film heritage, and to dramatize the need for its preservation.

“The selection of a film recognizes its importance to American movie and cultural history, and to history in general. The Registry stands among the finest summations of more than a century of wondrous American cinema.”

The 450 films in the National Film Registry represent a stunning range of American filmmaking, including Hollywood features, documentaries, avant-garde and amateur productions, films of ethnic and regional interest, and animated and short film subjects – all deserving recognition, preservation and access by future generations.

Despite preservation efforts by various organizations, “This key component of American cultural history is an endangered species,” Billington said. He pointed out that more and more films are lost each year to nitrate deterioration, color fading and the recently discovered “vinegar syndrome,” which threatens the acetate-based “safety film” stock on which the vast majority of motion pictures have been reproduced.

The 2006 selections span the years 1913 to 1996 and encompass films ranging from Hollywood classics to lesser-known but still vital works. Billington chose this year’s selections after evaluating nearly 1,000 titles nominated by the public and conducting intensive discussions with the Library’s Motion Picture division staff and the distinguished members and alternates of his advisory group, the National Film Preservation Board. The board also advises the Librarian on national film preservation policy.

Under the terms of the National Film Preservation Act , Congress established the National Film Registry in 1989 and reauthorized the program in April 2005 when it passed the “Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005” (Public Law 109-9).

“This legislation signifies great congressional interest in ensuring that motion pictures survive as an art form and a record of our times,” Billington said.

Among other provisions, the law reauthorized the National Film Preservation Board, mandated that the Librarian and Board update the national film preservation plan (published in the mid-1990s) as needed, increased funding authorizations for the private sector National Film Preservation Foundation, and amended Section 108(h) of U.S. Copyright Law, which enables libraries and archives to make works in their final 20 years of copyright protection accessible for research and education if the works are not already commercially available.

For each title named to the registry, the Library of Congress works to ensure that the film is preserved for future generations, either through the Library’s massive motion picture preservation program or through collaborative ventures with other archives, motion picture studios and independent filmmakers.

The Library of Congress contains the largest collections of film and television works in the world, from the earliest surviving copyrighted motion picture to the latest feature releases. For more information, consult the National Film Preservation Board Web site at www.loc.gov/film.

For the complete list of movies added this year, use the URL link posted at the beginning of this message.

Leslie
News Sleuth
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 07:18:18 pm »
We used to have a resident movie critic (rt) and somewhere along the line I learned that he is a member of the Chicago Film Critics Association. Remembering him, and reading this list, I have to wonder if he voted for these movies this year?

It is interesting to look at the nominees for this year, and think back to this time last year. Am I alone in thinking that 2006 was a lousy year for movies?

Chicago Film Critics Awards

BEST PICTURE
The Departed

BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
Letters From Iwo Jima

BEST DIRECTOR
Martin Scorsese for The Departed

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Peter Morgan, The Queen

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
William Monahan, The Departed

BEST ACTOR
Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland

BEST ACTRESS
Helen Mirren for The Queen

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jackie Earle Haley for Little Children

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Rinko Kikuchi for Babel

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Clint Mansell, The Fountain

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Emmanuel Lubezki, Children of Men

BEST DOCUMENTARY
An Inconvenient Truth

MOST PROMISING PERFORMER
Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

MOST PROMISING DIRECTOR
Rian Johnson for Brick

Nominations

BEST PICTURE
Babel
The Departed
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen
United 93

BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM:
Apocalypto
Letters From Iwo Jima
Pan ’ s Labyrinth
Tsotsi
Volver

BEST DIRECTOR
Clint Eastwood for Letters From Iwo Jima
Stephen Frears for The Queen
Paul Greengrass for United 93
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for Babel
Martin Scorsese for The Departed

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Babel — Guillermo Arriaga
Letters From Iwo Jima — Iris Yamashita
Little Miss Sunshine — Michael Arndt
The Queen — Peter Morgan
United 93 — Paul Greengrass

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
The Departed — William Monahan
Little Children — Todd Field & Tom Perrotta
Notes On A Scandal — Patrick Marber
A Prairie Home Companion — Garrison Keillor
Thank You For Smoking — Jason Reitman

BEST ACTOR
Leonardo DiCaprio for The Departed
Ryan Gosling for Half-Nelson
Peter O ’ Toole for Venus
Will Smith for The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland

BEST ACTRESS
Penelope Cruz for Volver
Judi Dench for Notes on a Scandal
Maggie Gyllenhaal for Sherrybaby
Helen Mirren for The Queen
Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet for Little Children

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ben Affleck for Hollywoodland
Jackie Earle Haley for Little Children
Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls
Jack Nicholson for The Departed
Brad Pitt for Babel
Michael Sheen for The Queen

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Adriana Barraza for Babel
Cate Blanchett for Notes On a Scandal
Abigail Breslin for Little Miss Sunshine
Toni Collette for Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi for Babel

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Babel — Gustavo Santaolalla
The Fountain — Clint Mansell
Letters From Iwo Jima — Kyle Eastwood and Michael Stevens
Notes On a Scandal — Philip Glass
The Queen — Alexandre Desplat

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Babel — Rodrigo Prieto
Children of Men — Emmanuel Lubezki
The Departed — Michael Ballhaus
The Fountain — Matthew Libatique
Letters From Iwo Jima — Tom Stern

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Deliver Us From Evil
An Inconvenient Truth
Jesus Camp
Shut Up and Sing
Wordplay

MOST PROMISING PERFORMER
Ivana Baquero for Pan ’ s Labyrinth
Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Shareeka Epps for Half-Nelson
Rinko Kikuchi for Babel
Keke Palmer fro Akeelah and the Bee

MOST PROMISING DIRECTOR
Rian Johnson for Brick
Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris for Little Miss Sunshine
Gil Kenan for Monster House
Jason Reitman Thank You For Smoking
James McTeigue for V For Vendetta

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 03:34:57 am »
I've only seen six of these movies.  Nice to see Our Other Boys, Gustavo and Rodrigo, nominated.

An Inconvenient Truth
A Prairie Home Companion
Little Miss Sunshine
Thank You For Smoking
The Devil Wears Prada
Wordplay

I really enjoyed all of them, except for A Prairie Home Companion not so much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:57:15 am by Ellemeno »

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 05:48:47 am »
Am I alone in thinking that 2006 was a lousy year for movies?

No one will ever be alone in thinking such a thing.  I happen to disagree however.

When Oscar season arrives (Nov-Jan) I find that I'm seeing fewer and fewer movies during the year up until then, but because I keep close watch on the critical consensus, I tend to see all of the good ones.  The two movies which critics have flipped for and I haven't are Borat (amusing but not all that) and Letters from Iwo Jima (I truly might be missing something on this one, although it was inarguably very well done).  Other than that, I really liked all of the favorites.  You (that's the royal "you") just need to get out and see the movies!  See the documentaries if you can.  An Inconvenient Truth is a must not only because it's a great movie but because it's information everybody should know, Wordplay is outstanding and great fun, and Deliver Us From Evil is the only doc I've ever seen that I wished was longer because I wanted to know more.  The latter is one of my top 5 of the year.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 09:22:59 am »
I do get out to the movies. Thinking back on the year, I just have a feeling of being disappointed in much that I saw. The Departed was good, but GoodFellas was better. I have read more than once that if Martin Scorcese wins an Oscar, it will be a consolation prize for all the times he has been passed over. Elle, I agree...Prairie Home Companion was sort of dull. I enjoyed the Devil Wears Prada but I didn't think it iwas great. Same for Thank You For Smoking...good but not great. The Queen...Helen Mirren was great, the rest of the movie I felt like I was watching CNN news clips. I just saw Little Miss Sunshine on DVD and enjoyed it very much...I wished I had seen it in the theater. I went to Boston to see Candy a few weeks ago. Heath was excellent but the movie was depressing. The Holiday was a fun holiday treat, but not great cinema.

I'd like to see Wordplay but that will be a DVD rental for me. It never made it to Maine.

One movie that I really enjoyed was The Prestige. Of course, I haven't seen that on a single critics list yet.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 09:38:39 am »
Remember the trailer for Freedomland? I do. Every time I saw BBM, I had to sit through that. I thought the movie looked awful. Apparently, Neil Rosen agrees. Here's a ten worst list from NY1.

As we wind down 2006, NY1 continues to look back on the year that was. It is time now to reflect on the year gone by on the silver screen. NY1 movie critic Neil Rosen spent some time ranking this year's movies and he came up with his list of the top ten worst films of the year.

There were plenty of bad films in 2006 and so it was hard to figure out what not to put on the list.

10. Russell Crowe’s movie A Good Year was anything but fun. “Gladiator” director Ridley Scott tried to make a French-style romantic comedy and misfired on all levels. Plus Crowe's character was thoroughly unlikable and impossible to root for.

9. If you missed the movie Poseidon here's my take, “you are the lucky ones.” A poor remake of “The Poseidon Adventure,” there was no character development. The makers of the sinking ship missed the boat by not taking advantage of the upside down aspect and all we were left with were people constantly running from rushing water.

8. Fortunately, not many people came out to see Nicole Kidman, playing real life photographer Diane Arbus, in Fur. A fictionalized story of Arbus falling in love with a man covered in hair form head to toe, played by Robert Downey Jr., is as bad as it sounds.

7. Sean Penn was the only good thing about the remake of All The Kings Men. Almost incomprehensible, if you were not familiar with the original, the largely British cast, could not get the deep south accents right while Anthony Hopkins did not even try.

6. Robin Williams’ schtick is getting really tired. In Man Of The Year he plays a comic who somehow gets elected president. The movie is trying to say something serious and be amusing at the same time. But it strikes out on both counts.

5. Steve Martin should not try imitating Peter Sellers. Actually, no one should. This remake of the Pink Panther was not only devoid of humor it was embarrassing for everyone involved.

4. Then there was the movie Freedomland. The story was completely uninteresting, the dialogue was pathetic, and Julianne Moore offered up one of the worst performances I have ever seen.

3. Speaking of bad performances, Sharon Stone thoroughly embarrassed herself with Basic Instinct 2. "Isn't that what turns you on?" asked Stone’s character in the film. Not unless you are turned on by thoroughly insipid movies.

2. Kyle Gass’ character KG best describes my take on Tenacious D. In: The Pick Of Destiny: "Amazing-ly bad." Jack Black might think this mess of a movie was hilarious, but I have to tell you for me, this was actually painful to sit through.

1. But it's not as bad as my worst movie of the year Lady In The Water. After “The Sixth Sense,” M. Night Shyamalan’s films have gone downhill. But this atrocity is far and away a complete disaster in every sense. What is it? A horror film that's not even a bit scary or a childhood fantasy that delights no one? It is a self indulgent misguided mess, with awful performances that should have never been made.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 09:44:06 am »
Another top ten list, this one from the Chicago Tribune. I am posting it because he has The Prestige as an honorable mention!

Fast-Paised favorites of 2006
Who cares if they're a downer? These movies are tops
By Matt Pais

Relationships that can't work. Marriages that don't last. Humans that can't reproduce. People who are victims of drug abuse, mob violence, terrorism and just time. Could the best films of 2006 get any more bleak?

But who says great movies have to be happy? After all, the best performances often come from actors playing characters battling difficult, painful problems, and sometimes turning out no better than they were at the beginning. And, troubling or not, these movies are all worth seeing and re-seeing, blowing away the competition in a pretty strong year at the multiplex.

Without further ado, here are the year's top films.

1. Half Nelson
The year's best movie has a plot that seems guaranteed to spin into cliche, as junior high teacher/crack addict Dan Dunne (Ryan Gosling) forms a friendship with one of his students (Shareeka Epps) after she catches him getting high. But Ryan Gosling is so steady and marvelous as Dunne--and "Half Nelson" is so precise in deconstructing his floundering soul--that the movie becomes the most unusual of educational dramas: an honest, shattering and ultimately uplifting film that doesn't get within 100 miles of formula. Covering the different modes of change and the pressure of opposing influences, the film's last moment is the most perfectly tuned, hopeful finale in ages.

2. Children of Men
What will the future bring? "Children of Men" doesn't try to predict the details, but in envisioning the year 2027--at which point a baby hasn't been born for 18 years--Alfonso Cuaron's stunning thriller becomes a jaw-dropping vision of suspicion and desperation when Theo (Clive Owen) tries to protect a young girl who has somehow become pregnant. The film is a miracle of technical achievement--with takes that go on so long they must've taken weeks to plan--and it woefully sees life and death as a matter of both faith and chance. The lone spark of optimism is the supremely human truth that as long as you have faith, life always has a chance.

3. Brick
There aren't many movies that seduce you with language and leave you trembling with excitement as you leave the theater. "Brick" is one of those movies, masterfully transposing a 1940's detective noir into a modern-day high school and playing it totally straight. Joseph Gordon-Levitt makes a damn good teenage version of Bogart, and "Brick" may be the ultimate movie about the way it feels to be in high school, surrounded by cryptic language, exclusive cliques and, among an array of beauties, the one girl that got away.

4. The Puffy Chair
Love hurts, but how often does a movie about relationships really make it seem that way? "The Puffy Chair" takes a truthful look at two people who have lost that spark as they gradually realize they may have run their course as a couple. With painful clarity, director Jay Duplass and his writer-star brother Mark show that there's no right way to love but plenty of wrong ways. You won't be able to move when it ends; in this wise and immensely sad low-budget triumph, you can literally hear the sound of hearts breaking.

5. The Departed
Proof that remakes are not pointless. With more toughness and style than he's shown in a decade, Martin Scorsese takes his own spin on the Hong Kong action flick "Infernal Affairs" and finally gives Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon a chance to become men, not boys. It takes a master of mobsters to tell such a complex crime saga with this kind of depth and electricity, and the intricate plot keeps you so engrossed that you'll think your watch is broken when you see that two-and-a-half hours have disappeared.

6. Little Children
Husbands and wives, parents and kids all confront imperfection in "Little Children," Todd Field's ("In the Bedroom") sad and sensual suburban drama of screaming infidelity. It's a visual powerhouse accentuated with across-the-board great acting by Kate Winslet, Patrick Wilson, Jennifer Connelly and Jackie Earle Haley. It's about people becoming slaves to their instincts and needs--stimulation, mostly sexual, is need numero uno--and clinging to ideals while grasping clumsily and impulsively at ill-advised opportunities. Some have criticized the somewhat sarcastic tone, but for my money that's how the 'burbs really are: weirdly secretive and darkly comic. Field gets how difficult it is to make our lives better, simpler and safer when other people's problems seem so much easier to solve than our own. And we can try to protect kids, but who will protect us from ourselves?

7. United 93
Before watching "United 93," you can't imagine how a movie about 9/11 could be worth seeing. After viewing Paul Greengrass' tense, respectful look at one of our country's darkest days, you can't imagine how anyone could do it better. Working with what we know and speculating about a few things we don't in ways that are fair and reasonable, Greengrass documents unthinkable terror and greater courage with dignity and purpose. The movie has one of the year's best scores because it barely has one at all, and the film itself is a powerful demonstration of the real-life response to a situation many thought could only happen in the movies.

8. Babel
Here's one about the big stuff: life, death, love, the difficulty of communication and the randomness of existence. As sweeping and ambitious as it sounds, the latest work from director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and writer Guillermo Arriaga breaks down the human condition through a set of universal experiences that could occur anywhere involving tragedy, loneliness and loss. It's all very, very heavy, but "Babel" wraps it all together--with help from Oscar-worthy performances by Brad Pitt and breakout star Rinko Kikuchi, among others--to make you feel how we're all in this thing together, alone. The characters here are people aging a great deal in a short period of time, desperately longing for the touch of loved ones and strangers, both just beyond their reach.

9. Notes on a Scandal
A young teacher sleeps with a student, and only a closed-off veteran educator knows. Within this tabloid-style setup comes a tightly wound, teeth-grinding game of friendship and manipulation, driven by terrific turns by Cate Blanchett (as the illicit teacher) and Judi Dench (as the confidant). The movie burns down appearances of normalcy to reveal incredible neediness underneath while Patrick Marber's sophisticated script articulates the role of leverage in everyday lives. At first the finale seems like it's not as crisp and shocking as the rest of the film; yet the cold feeling "Notes on a Scandal" closes with is actually the reality that when we go too far, we often learn nothing at all--and people with too much love to give will continue to give until they can find someone willing to accept it.

10. Old Joy
Plot is not the point of "Old Joy," and if you want a movie that moves faster than a snail, you'll be bored by this flick's gentle, sleepy pace. Pristinely beautiful and overcome with longing, the movie captures two old friends on a spontaneous trip into the woods who discover that they no longer exist on the same plane. Among the lulling quiet of time passing by, director Kelly Reichardt demonstrates an equal fondness for the period we remember as "those were the days" as well as the years that inevitably take their place.

Honorable mentions: "Letters from Iwo Jima," "The Prestige," "The Painted Veil," "The Queen," "Borat," "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man," "Twelve and Holding," "51 Birch St."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The News Sleuth Presents: The BAFTAS
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 12:48:28 pm »
From the Times Online

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2544355_1,00.html

Bafta for Bond?
Devika Bhat and Elsa McLaren

Daniel Craig has confounded his critics and become the first actor to be nominated for a Bafta for playing James Bond in a list heavy with British talent.

The blond-haired actor, whose selection for the sought-after role was initially met with much scepticism, was today awarded for his efforts with a nomination for best actor in a leading role.

In a further triumph for UK talent, The Queen – a depiction of the monarch in the wake of the death of Princess Diana – has topped the list with 10 nominations.

The glimpse into Royal life, directed by Stephen Frears, impressed the 6,000 members of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, as did the performance of Dame Helen Mirren, who has been nominated for best actress.

The 61-year-old has already picked up a clutch of awards for her performance, including the best actress prize at the Venice Film Festival, and has been nominated for a Golden Globe.

As favourite she will be competing against Penelope Cruz for Volver, Dame Judi Dench for Notes On A Scandal, Kate Winslet for Little Children and Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada.

The raft of nominations for The Queen and Casino Royale, which got a total of nine, bodes well for the Oscars.

The stature of the Baftas has been transformed since 2001, when they were moved to a pre-Oscars slot. Hollywood now views the British awards as a barometer of success at the Academy Awards and nominations will be seen as crucial by the leading studios.

Both films are up against each other for the Alexander Korda Award for the Outstanding British Film of the Year. United 93, the story of passengers aboard the doomed 9/11 plane, which crashed in Pennsylvania, has also been nominated for this award.

A surprise success is Guillermo del Toro’s gothic fairy tale, Pan’s Labyrinth, which has been nominated for a total of eight awards.

Films that also scored well among the judges were, Babel, starring Brad Pitt, which received seven nominations, and The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine, which both have six.

Craig proved his critics wrong when Casino Royale was released and became the most successful Bond film ever at the box office.

David Parfitt, chairman of the Bafta film committee, said: "I think the Bafta membership looked at his body of work.

"We have been watching him for the past five or six years. This was a very different role for him and demonstrates his great range."

Craig faces stiff competition for the best actor award from the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio for The Departed and fellow Britons, Richard Griffiths, nominated for his role in Alan’s Bennett’s The History Boys, and Peter O’Toole, for Venus.

Critics have hailed O’Toole’s performance as an elderly actor who falls in love with a teenage girl as one of the best of his career. It has already earned the 74-year-old a Golden Globe nomination.

However, it is Forest Whitaker for his towering portrayal of African dictator Idi Amin, in The Last King of Scotland, who is tipped to win the award.

Best director will go to Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for Babel, Martin Scorsese for The Departed, Jonathan Dayton/Valerie Faris for Little Miss Sunshine, Stephen Frears for The Queen or Paul Greengrass for United 93.

A new host will be also be unveiled this year, with Stephen Fry having recently stepped down from the job after six years.

This year’s ceremony will be held for the first time at the Royal Opera House in London’s Covent Garden. It will take place on February 11 and be broadcast live on BBC1.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 12:53:43 pm »
Here is the complete list of nominees:

Film
"Babel"
"The Departed"
"The Last King of Scotland"
"Little Miss Sunshine"*
"The Queen"

The Alexander Korda Award for the Outstanding British Film of the Year

"Casino Royale"
"The Last King of Scotland"
"Notes on a Scandal"
"The Queen"
"United 93"

The Carl Foreman Award for Special Achievement by a British Director, Writer or Producer in their First Feature Film

Andrea Arnold, director -- "Red Road"
Julian Gilbey, director -- "Rollon' with the Nines"
Christine Langan, producer, "Pierrepoint"
Gary Tarn, director -- "Black Sun"
Paul Andrew Williams, director -- "London to Brighton"

The David Lean Award for Achievement in Direction

"Babel" -- Alejandro Gonz?lez Inarritu
"The Departed" -- Martin Scorsese
"Little Miss Sunshine" -- Jonathan Dayton/Valerie Faris
"The Queen" -- Stephen Frears
"United 93" -- Paul Greengrass

Original screenplay
"Babel" -- Guillermo Arriaga
"Little Miss Sunshine" -- Michael Arndt
"Pan's Labryinth" -- Guillermo del Toro
"The Queen" -- Peter Morgan
"United 93" -- Paul Greengrass

Adapted screenplay
"Casino Royale" -- Neal Purvis/Robert Wade/Paul Haggis
"The Departed" -- William Monahan
"The Devil Wears Prada" -- Aline Brosh McKenna
"The Last King of Scotland" -- Peter Morgan/Jeremy Brock
"Notes on a Scandal" -- Patrick Marber

Film not in the English language

"Apocalypto" -- Mel Gibson, Bruce Davey
"Black Book (Zwarboek) -- Teun Hilte, San Fu Maltha, Jens Meurer, Paul Verhoeven
"Pan's Labyrinth" -- Alfonso Cuaron, Bertha Navarro, Frida Torresblanco, Guillermo del Toro
"Rang de Basanti" (Paint it Yellow) -- Ronnie Screwvala, Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
"Volver" -- Agustin Almodovar, Pedro Almodovar

Animated feature film

"Cars" -- John Lasseter
"Flushed Away" -- David Bowers, Sam Fell
"Happy Feet" -- George Miller

Actor in a leading role

Daniel Craig -- "Casino Royale"
Leonardo DiCaprio -- "The Departed"
Richard Griffiths -- "The History Boys"
Peter O'Toole -- "Venus "
Forest Whitaker -- "The Last King of Scotland"

Actress in a leading role
Penelope Cruz -- "Volver"
Judi Dench -- "Notes on a Scandal"
Helen Mirren -- "The Queen"
Meryl Streep -- "The Devil Wears Prada"
Kate Winslet -- "Little Children"

Actor in a supporting role

Alan Arkin -- "Little Miss Sunshine"
James MacAvoy -- "The Last King of Scotland"
Jack Nicholson -- "The Departed"
Leslie Phillips -- "Venus "
Michael Sheen -- "The Queen

Actress in a supporting role

Emily Blunt -- The Devil Wears Prada
Abigail Breslin -- Little Miss Sunshine
Toni Colette -- Little Miss Sunshine
Frances de la Tour -- The History Boys
Jennier Hudson -- Dreamgirls

The Anthony Asquith Award for Achievement in Film Music

"Babel" -- Gustavo Santaolalla
"Casino Royale" -- David Arnold
"Dreamgirls" -- Henry Krieger
"Happy Feet" -- John Powell
"The Queen" -- Alexandre Desplat

Cinematography

"Babel" -- Rodrigo Prieto
"Casino Royale" -- Phil Meheux
"Children of Men" -- Emmanuel Lubezki
"Pan's Labyrinth" -- Guillermo Navarro
"United 93" -- Barry Ackroyd

Editing
"Babel" -- Stephen Mirrione, Douglas Crise
"Casino Royale" -- Stuart Baird
"The Departed" -- Thelma Schoonmaker
"The Queen" -- Lucia Zucchetti
"Unitedf 93" -- Clare Douglas, Christopher Rouse, Richard Pearson

Production design
"Casino Royale" -- Peter Lamont, Simon Wakefield
"Children of Men" -- Geoffrey Kirkland, Jim Clay, Jennifer Williams
"Marie Antoinette" -- K K Barrett, Veronique Melery
"Pan's Labyrinth" -- Eugenio Caballero, Pilar Revuelta
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" -- Rick Heinrichs, Cheryl A Carasik

Costume design
"The Devil Wears Prada" -- Patricia Field
"Marie Antoinette" -- Milena Canonero
"Pan's Labyrinth" -- Lala Huete
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" -- Penny Rose
"The Queen" -- Consolata Boyle

Sound
"Babel" -- Jose Garcia, Jon Taylor, Chris Minkler, Martin Hernandez
"Casino Royale" -- Chris Munro, Eddy Joseph, Mike Prestwood Smith, Martin Cantwell, Mark Taylor
"Pan's Labyrinth" -- Martin Hernandez, Jamie Bashkt
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" -- Christopher Boyes, George Watters II,? Paul Massey, Lee Orloff
"United 93" -- Chris Munro, Mike Prestwood Smith, Douglas Cooper, Oliver Tarney/Eddy Joseph

Achievement in special visual effects
"Casino Royale" -- Steve Begg, Chris Corbould
"Children of Men" -- Frazer Churchill, Tim Webber, Michael Eames, Paul Corbould
"Pan's Labyrinth" -- Edward Irastorza, Everett Burrell
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" -- John Knoll, Hal Hickel, Charles Gibson
"Superman Returns" -- Mark Stetson

Makeup & hair
"The Devil Wears Prada" -- Nicki Ledermann, Angel De Angelis
"Marie Antoinette" -- Jean-Luc Russier, Desiree Corridoni
"Pan's Labyrinth"*
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" -- Ve Neill, Martin Samuel
"The Queen" -- Daniel Phillips

Short animation film
"Dreams and Desires" - "Family Ties" -- Les Mills, Joanna Quinn
"Guy 101" -- Ian Gouldstone
"Peter and the Wolf" -- Hugh Welchman, Alan Dewhurst, Suzie Templeton

Short film
"Care" -- Rachel Bailey, Corinna Faith
"Cubs" -- Lisa Williams, Tom Harper
"Do Not Erase" -- Asitha Ameresekere
"Hikikomori" -- Karley Duffy, Paul Wright
"Kissing, Tickling and Being Bored" -- David Smith, Jim McRoberts

The Orange Rising Star Award

Emily Brunt
Eva Green
Naomie Harrie
Cillian Murphy
Ben Whishaw

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:00:22 pm »
Casino Royale is my fave of all the movies I saw last year (minus BBM earlier last year .. ;))
I hope it gets at least 5 of them BAFTAs  8)....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 08:07:43 pm »
Now THOSE are what I call blue eyes you can see from across a room.  Hell, a continent.

No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The News Sleuth Presents: Sundance Festival Update
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 12:08:20 pm »
I have been following the news from the Sundance Film Festival with rapt attention. Sounds like a lot of lousy movies are being screened. Here's a nice summary from The New York Times.

January 26, 2007
Gold Rush Mentality at a Hustlin’ Sundance
By MANOHLA DARGIS

PARK CITY, Utah, Jan. 25 — Midway through this year’s Sundance Film Festival, the festival sent out a news release that underscored why so many now swarm around this mountain resort town every January without a ski lift ticket: several films that were first shown here had been nominated for Academy Awards, including “Little Miss Sunshine.” It was, said the director of the festival, Geoffrey Gilmore, “refreshing” that the academy had recognized “the quality of the storytelling and the talent of the actors in independent films that originally premiered” here.

Well, that’s one way of putting it. Another way is this: the big Hollywood studios are generally adept at creating event movies (think “Spider-Man”) and often incapable of creating anything else. And so, among their various strategies, the big studios send some of their brightest people to Sundance to shop for films and future projects, potential stars and possible franchises. Sometimes those bright people get lucky, as the ones from Fox Searchlight, a division of Twentieth Century Fox, did last year with “Little Miss Sunshine.” And sometimes those bright people buy “Hustle & Flow,” a potboiler about sensitive pimps that was picked up here two years ago by the new team at Paramount Pictures amid a lot of crowing.

Several lead players on that team are now history, and “Hustle & Flow” is on DVD, having earned little critical or public interest. Not surprisingly, the hustling and the flowing and the pimping continue stronger than ever at this media-saturated event, where the signal-to-noise ratio has become seriously out of whack. There may not be another “Little Miss Sunshine” at this year’s festival, but you wouldn’t know it from the lucrative deals or the old and new media types that feed on the offerings with little discrimination and often less taste, pumping up already overinflated rubbish like “Hounddog,” colloquially known here as “the Dakota Fanning rape movie,” while giving a pass to more appealing and modest offerings like “The Great World of Sound.”

“Hounddog” and the media storm that accompanied its world premiere on Monday expose the contradictions that grip Sundance, which insists on its commitment to quality even as it continues to program work that suggests otherwise. A Southern gothic about a white girl (Ms. Fanning) who learns how to sing the blues from a kindly black man after she is raped, the film had earned censure sight unseen from the likes of Sean Hannity on Fox News Channel. By the time “Hounddog” was shown here, rumors of death threats against the film’s writer and director, Deborah Kampmeier, were swirling among the packed, visibly energized audience members, some of whom had waited hours to see a movie that, like some of the loudest noises detonated at the festival, will barely register a whimper at the box office.

As sincere as it is stupid, “Hounddog” is pure art-house exploitation, as evidenced by the images of its 12-year-old star dressed in a wet T-shirt and panties, of her writhing on a bed and of her awkwardly grinding in a hootchy-kootchy pantomime to the Elvis Presley song of the film’s title. As in “The Accused” (the Jodie Foster rape movie), the film’s narrative momentum builds to the rape, which is discreetly staged; unfortunately, it is also presented with some of the same tropes of the classic movie love scene: there is a shot of the girl’s clutching hand and, after the assault, a close-up of her face. Ms. Fanning’s commitment to this material is unwavering in its creepiness.

Much like “Black Snake Moan,” yet another Sundance film about an oversexed white woman whose demons are exorcized by a blues-singing black man, “Hounddog” is rubbish. But it’s the kind of rubbish that comes with a Hollywood star and attracts maximum media attention. “Black Snake Moan” is also the kind of film that most audiences will soon get a chance to see: entertainingly risible, the movie, which stars a showboating Samuel L. Jackson and a startlingly thin Christina Ricci, is being released by Paramount Vantage, the specialty division of Paramount Pictures. Once upon a time, its writer and director, Craig Brewer, who also brought us “Hustle & Flow,” would have been churning out grindhouse quickies for Roger Corman. At Sundance, however, Mr. Brewer is a conquering hero, an auteur.

Mr. Brewer landed at Sundance two years ago with an independently financed film and left with a studio deal. For many, his good fortune probably seems like the ultimate dream, the perfect ending to the independent fairy tale. It is a dream that has little to do with art and vision and the independent cinema of John Cassavetes or, for that matter, the work of an early Sundance stalwart like Victor Nunez, whose lovely 1993 film “Ruby in Paradise” would probably get lost in the Hollywood shuffle these days. Despite the best-articulated intentions of the festival, exemplified by buttons it passed out emblazoned with the hopeful motto “Focus on Film,” Sundance encourages gold-rush fever. There is no denying that many fine films are still shown here, but all too often they aren’t the ones that keep this festival in the news.

Mr. Nunez directed a few films after “Ruby in Paradise,” but like a lot of the filmmakers who helped put Sundance on the map, he hasn’t been heard from lately. There are all sorts of reasons for this, including the hard truth that none of his subsequent films have been as well realized. Yet it is also true that filmmakers like Mr. Nunez, who makes modestly scaled regional features about imperfect characters, have a much harder time creating a dent in the film world than they did even 10 years ago. Hollywood’s incursion into the independent film realm has not only radically affected festivals like Sundance and turned them into a growth market, it has also changed the stakes for everyone involved. Modesty, after all, isn’t much of a virtue when you’re releasing a film with a multimillion-dollar ad campaign on thousands of screens.

In this respect, the single most depressing and brutally honest remark I heard all week, the statement that seemed to sum up what Sundance has become for many attendees, came from a distributor who explained why he had stayed to watch a bad comedy that features a clutch of low-level film and television actors. The movie might be lousy, he explained, but imagine “all those names on a box,” meaning, imagine all those recognizable names once they are printed on a DVD box. It didn’t matter that the film was incompetently made and, from the half-hour or so of it that I watched, unfunny in the extreme. It didn’t even matter that the film probably wouldn’t make much money when or if it was released in theaters. The box would be aesthetically and intellectually empty, but the box would sell.

And “The Great World of Sound”? Well, maybe it will sell after the festival ends on Sunday, though I hope it makes it into theaters, not just into a box. Directed by Craig Zobel, who wrote the screenplay with George Smith, this film about scam artists selling phony record deals to musicians in the South felt like a throwback in the best possible way, a reminder of the Sundance of “Ruby in Paradise.” Shot in high-definition video, “The Great World of Sound” isn’t much to look at, but its sense of place, of lonely hotel rooms and fly-by-night offices decorated with spray-painted gold records, is as nicely observed as its morally compromised characters. Low-key and absent even any Sundance stars, “The Great World of Sound” was, perhaps unsurprisingly, shown out of the main dramatic competition.

There were a handful of other good films this year, some of which may eventually wend their way to your local art house or your television set. As is often the case at Sundance, many were documentaries, including Julien Temple’s diverting, smartly put together “Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten,” about the former front man for the Clash. Equally smart, though a much tougher experience, is “Bajo Juarez, the City Devouring Its Daughters,” directed by Alejandra Sánchez and José Antonio Cordero, about the hundreds of women who have been murdered in Mexican border towns. Like “No End in Sight,” a devastating critique of the administration’s handling of the Iraq war, directed by Charles Ferguson, a Brookings Institution senior fellow, “Bajo Juarez” retells an old story exceptionally well.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The News Sleuth Presents: Sundance Festival Update
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 10:18:57 am »
The prizes have been awarded!

Latin American films scoop Sundance

Two Latin American films have won the top prizes at the Sundance Film Festival, among a range of winners concerned with world issues, the Iraq war and families.

Padre Nuestro (Our Father) - about an illegal immigrant from Mexico looking for his father in New York - has won the Grand Jury Prize for best drama made by a US film-maker.

Manda Bala (Send a Bullet), a look at crime and corruption in Brazil, has earned the jury honour for top US documentary.

Festival director Geoffrey Gilmore says 2007 has been a "landmark year" for Sundance, due in large part to the numerous topics and quality of the movies screened at the leading US festival for independent films.

"For so many different reasons, this work is exceptional in terms of how much of it will get into the marketplace and the range of issues and maturity of the film-makers," he said.

Padre Nuestro director Christopher Zalla says while his movie deals with illegal immigration to the US, it also tries to paint a picture of New York as a city of immigrants.

"When we filmed the movie, we talked to a lot of people crossing the [borders] and they were just families, families coming to feed themselves and reunite with their family," he said.

The World Cinema drama prize has gone to Israeli movie Sweet Mud, the story of a boy dealing with his mentally ill mother on a kibbutz in the 1970s.

Denmark's Enemies of Happiness, which details the life of a female Afghan politician, has taken out the World Cinema jury prize for best documentary.
Audience prizes

The Audience Award for best drama has gone to Grace is Gone, which stars John Cusack as a father of two dealing with the death of his wife in the Iraq war.

The movie has also earned the screenwriting award for its film-maker, James Strouse.

Strouse says that throughout the festival, he has been asked whether he intended his film to make a political statement.

He says he has answered that Grace is Gone is supposed to focus on the families of those men and women who have died.

"The losses suffered in this war to the families left behind transcend political dogma," he said.

Strouse's movie is not the only war film to have been honoured at Sundance.

The documentary jury has given a special prize to No End in Sight, about US policy mistakes in the Iraq war.

The audience trophy for best documentary has gone to Hear and Now, director Irene Taylor Brodsky's personal story about her deaf parents undergoing surgery to regain their hearing.

The audience documentary winner in the World Cinema arena is In the Shadow of the Moon, an emotional tale of the Apollo astronauts from Britain's David Sington.

Irish musical Once has earned the audience trophy for best international drama.

Directing awards have gone to Sean Fine and Andrea Nix Fine for their documentary, War/Dance, about child soldiers in Uganda, and to Jeffrey Blitz for his drama "Rocket Science," about a high school stutterer who learns lessons of life and love while on the debating team.

The 10-day festival is backed by actor Robert Redford's Sundance Institute for film-making and is held each January in Utah.