Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Radio  (Read 60059 times)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Brokeback Mountain Radio
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2006, 06:11:18 am »
It's the beautiful spanish song playing during Jack's venture into Mexico. I don't know who originally composed the song, but it's Gustavo Santaolalla's arrangement, and performed by Rick Garcia.

I wasn't sure if this was common knowledge or not, so I haven't bothered mentioning it before.  When I first saw BBM, I immediately recognised "Quizas, Quizas, Quizas" as being Spanish for "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps", which was a song originally written and performed by none other than DORIS DAY?  It may also come as a shock that the Doris Day version is actually very cool - I think it was in the film Strictly Ballroom which is why it appears on the Baz Luhrmann compilation album: Something For Everybody.  Here's a link for a very brief excerpt: http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserve/B00000634X001004/0/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/102-1757470-2627319.  When you read the lyrics it becomes clear why it's in Brokeback Mountain:

You won't admit you love me
   And so, how am I ever to know
   You only tell me
   Perhaps perhaps perhaps

A million times I ask you, and then
   I ask you over again
   You only answer
   Perhaps perhaps perhaps

If you can't make your mind up
   We'll never get started
   And I don't want to wind up
   Being parted, broken hearted
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2006, 01:21:31 am »
Doris Day!  I do not think that was in my own common-knowledge bank!  Neat!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2006, 03:43:10 am »
It's the beautiful spanish song playing during Jack's venture into Mexico. I don't know who originally composed the song, but it's Gustavo Santaolalla's arrangement, and performed by Rick Garcia.

I wasn't sure if this was common knowledge or not, so I haven't bothered mentioning it before.  When I first saw BBM, I immediately recognised "Quizas, Quizas, Quizas" as being Spanish for "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps", which was a song originally written and performed by none other than DORIS DAY?  It may also come as a shock that the Doris Day version is actually very cool - I think it was in the film Strictly Ballroom which is why it appears on the Baz Luhrmann compilation album: Something For Everybody.  Here's a link for a very brief excerpt: http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserve/B00000634X001004/0/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/102-1757470-2627319.  When you read the lyrics it becomes clear why it's in Brokeback Mountain:

You won't admit you love me
   And so, how am I ever to know
   You only tell me
   Perhaps perhaps perhaps

A million times I ask you, and then
   I ask you over again
   You only answer
   Perhaps perhaps perhaps

If you can't make your mind up
   We'll never get started
   And I don't want to wind up
   Being parted, broken hearted

yep, Doris Day's version as played in Strictly Ballroom was my first exposure to the song as well. I've also heard it sung by Nat King Cole, used in In The Mood For Love. This rendition, as arranged by Santaolalla, is my favorite so far.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2006, 05:46:17 am »
<snip> This rendition, as arranged by Santaolalla, is my favorite so far.

Totally, but we may be just that little bit biased - I know I am! ;)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 03:13:38 pm »
Phil,
Thank you so much for BBM Radio.  It's introduced me to many artists and songs that are now among my favorites, and hearing music from the score that isn't on the CD is wonderful. 
Other songs of Emmylou Harris that I'd like to suggest for consideration, if they haven't already been, are Boulder to Birmingham, Born to Run, One of These Days, Beneath Still Waters, Together Again, and Wayfaring Stranger.
And the album Beyond the Missouri Sky by Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny, especially the song Spiritual which (forgive the repetition if this is old info) that Annie Proulx wrote that she listened to over and over while writing the flashback paragraph.
Thanks again for, well, everything you've done here at BetterMost.
Lynn
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline angela

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2006, 03:54:35 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I've been hanging out at Dave Cullen's forum for awhile, and thanks to Phillip's recent post in the Songs Related To Brokeback Thread, just found out about BBM radio.  Thank you so much, Phillip!  Like many people, I felt the soundtrack CD was just a teaser--your creative work here has done wonders to prolong the "Brokeback Mood" for me.

I have a question about the complete score that you have compiled--is this available for people to purchase/download in any way?

Also, I don't see this song on the playlist, so I thought I'd mention that in Annie Proulx's essay in the story to screenplay book, she says that she listened to "Spiritual" (from Pat Metheny & Charlie Haden's CD: Beyond the Missouri Sky) repeatedly as her main inspiration for the "dozy embrace" scene between Ennis and Jack.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Offline angela

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2006, 04:08:46 pm »
I had shared this on the Chez Tremblay board and someone mentioned that you might want it for BBM Radio.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16834152/Quizas_quizas_quisas.zip.html

I'm new here and wanted to thank you so much for this link--I have been obsessed with finding this song ever since I was devastated to find out that it was not the the original soundtrack.  It's an old Spanish song that has been widely covered over the years (Doris Day's version is only one of many) and the Rick Garcia version is by far the best ever.

I'm ignorant when it comes to the ethics of filesharing--is it okay to post the link over at Dave Cullen's forum? 

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2006, 10:26:51 pm »
Did I post this or PM you this already?  Sorry if so.  If not, the soundtrack to the Werner Herzog documentary "Grizzly Man" is excellent, and fits in perfectly with BBM soundtrack music. 
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2006, 06:43:26 pm »
I'm getting to know the music of Rufus Wainwright better.  He's an amazing talent. 

I recommend the song "One Man Guy" for BBM Radio.  Here are the lyrics:

"People will know when they see this show
The kind of a guy I am
They'll recognize just what I stand for and what I just can't stand
They'll perceive what I believe in
And what I know is true
And they'll recognize I'm a one man guy
Always was through and through

People meditate
Hey that's just great
Trying to find the inner you
People depend on family and friend
And other folks to pull them through

I don't know why I'm a one man guy
Or why I'm a one man show
But these three cubic feet of bone and blood and meat are all I love and know

'Cause I'm a one man guy in the morning
Same in the afternoon
One man guy when the sun goes down
I whistle me a one man tune

One man guy a one man guy
Only kind of guy to be
I'm a one man guy
I'm a one man guy
I'm a one man guy is me

I'm gonna bathe and shave
And dress myself and eat solo every night
Unplug the phone, sleep alone
Stay away out of sight
Sure it's kind of lonely
Yeah it's sort of sick
Being your own one and only
Is a dirty selfish trick

'Cause I'm a one man guy in the morning
Same in the afternoon
One man guy when the sun goes down
I whistle me a one man tune
One man guy a one man guy
Only kind of guy to be
I'm a one man guy
I'm a one man guy
I'm a one man guy is me"
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline ghent

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 04:44:05 pm »
I think that you're station is fantastic. Please keep up the good work. I have a few music suggestions :

1. Marc Weigle : If you could put the heart and soul of Brokeback into one singer, it would be Marc. Favorites - Blue Eyes to Brown Eyes, Have I Told You in the Last Five Minutes (that I love you), Us Both and Two-Cowboy Waltz.
2. Alex Degrassi (everything), Michael Hedges (especially from Aerial Boundaries) and Mark Isham (Vapor Drawings album and the soundtracks for Call of the Wild, Country and Mrs. Soffel)
3. Pat Metheny (there are so many beautiful acoustic guitar pieces, and duets with pianist Lyle Mays that I've lost track. Anything from 'As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls). North to South, East to West and Airstream are brilliant.
4. Glen Campbell (Wichita Lineman), John Denver (everything)
5. early Simon and Garfunkel (Bookends, America)
6. some Crosby, Stills and Nash and Young (short acoustic guitar pieces), Neil Young alone (Harvest Moon)
7. Gordon Lightfoot : so many possibilities here - 'Shadows' could be the Jack/Ennis love song, If You could Read My Mind, Beautiful, I'm Not Saying, Alberta Bound
8. Josh Ritter, Come and Find Me
9. Chris Isaak, Wicked Game
10. Rufus Wainwright, Poses, One Man Guy and Waiting for a Dream
11. Aaron Copland, Selections from Appalachian Spring and Rodeo
12. Soundtrack for Jeremiah Johnson
13 George Winston (everything)