Author Topic: $100 Million Powerball lottery! What would you do?  (Read 4998 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
$100 Million Powerball lottery! What would you do?
« on: January 02, 2007, 10:46:19 pm »
I noticed that the multi-state Powerball Lottery is up to $100 Million dollars today.

If you won, what would YOU do?

Me?    I'd quit my job.   Go buy a new Lincoln or Cadillac then go pick up my Mom and take her on a dream vacation.   She is afraid to fly, so we'd have to drive.    She's never seen any of the United States other than New England.     I'd drive her down to Washington DC, then to Florida.   Then across to see the Grand Canyon and over to California.   Up the coast and then across to see Mount Rushmore, a stop in Wyoming of course, then back home.  Just long enough to meet the Queen Mary 2 and sail for Europe.    Then we could tour by car or train.

Once back,  i'd buy a house on Macondray Lane in San Francisco.   I'd spend my retirement riding the cable cars and hanging out at coffee shops.    Maybe a pre-dinner cocktail at the Top-of-the-Mark, or pop over to see Kirk at Beach Blanket Babylon.   

And with the left over cash I'd have one hell of an antique car collection.   I'd buy a red 1959 Cadillac convertible and use it as my daily driver.    Which would be pretty scary on those steep hills in San Francisco!    LOL.     But what a great car to go driving up through Marin County to see the redwoods.     

Plus with all that cash I could travel and visit my fellow Brokies when ever I wanted.     Hmm, time to visit Meryl,  John, Juan and Jenny?   I'll just fly first class to NYC and stay at the Plaza or Waldorf.   LOL

Maybe Limo up to lunch with Leslie in Maine?

Oh I'd have to buy a place in Riverton, Wyoming.  Maybe a cabin up in the mountains and have a shrine to Jack and Ennis.

Now only if my $1 ticket would win........ ;)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: $100 Million Powerball lottery! What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:53:56 pm »
Gosh, wishing.  The perfect 5 minute vacation.

Assuming you wait 20 years for the full amount or take the cash up front option which drops the amount down?

For simplicity's sake:

Let's see $100 million - less what the govt takes off the top 30-40%, so $60-$70 million left.

First, retire from my job.

Then hire a financial advisor and a lawyer.  Figure out how to give my sister 1/2 of the entire amount without causing a tremendous tax burden to her, leaving me with $30-$35 milion.  Take care of my mom.

Invest in pharmaceuticals.  Buy a home in London or just northwest of there and a summer home on the Italian Riviera (in Vernazza) and a cool Victorian home somewhere on the northeast coast of the US.

Spend my days in museums, reading books, helping out at my favorite charities and assisting with archaelogical digs around the world.

Mmmmm...a woman can dream.  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:29:59 am by delalluvia »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:22:56 pm »
Will ya need a housekeeper?  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:51:38 pm »
Pay off the mortgage. Quit my job. Travel.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:15:39 am »
FIRST I would get me a BIG ol stick...to beat off all the relatives that would attach themselves to me like leeches....

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:03:08 am »
Plus with all that cash I could travel and visit my fellow Brokies when ever I wanted.     Hmm, time to visit Meryl,  John, Juan and Jenny?   I'll just fly first class to NYC and stay at the Plaza or Waldorf.   LOL

Tell you what, David, that's all a fine plan.  But if were me, I'd take Meryl's couch any old day over those fleabags! ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:23:50 am »
Tell you what, David, that's all a fine plan.  But if were me, I'd take Meryl's couch any old day over those fleabags! ;)

that is all Meryl needs - a stream a millionaires camped out in her living room  ::) ::)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 08:31:39 am »
FIRST I would get me a BIG ol stick...to beat off all the relatives that would attach themselves to me like leeches....

:laugh:  :laugh:

Jess - you crack me up with your one liners!!

Me - same as you lot - enjoy the high life, take care of the mortgage and other debts, make sure the family were okay, give to charity and travel to alberta for that reunion! as well as to see all other brokies about he place!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 11:30:21 am »
I love the idea of millionaires on my couch!  I might even order a new mattress for the occasion.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 03:35:55 am »
Retire, travel to all the places I've only dreamed of, make sure all my family was provided for and the children able to attend college, give money to feed, house and clothe those less fortunate than myself, buy 40 acre's in the mountains somewhere and build my dream log home

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 09:14:55 am »
how about a little summer cottage in Rhode Island?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 12:48:24 pm »

My parents come first .. they'd be set for the rest of their lives!!!  ;D

I'd start my own company ..

I'd travel to all the continents in the world .. meet people, experience cultures ..

I'd feed every single starving child in the world .. With that kinda dough, I think it's do-able ..  ;D

I'd keep a cautious eye open for men or women seeking my hand in marriage just for the money ..  ;D