Author Topic: "Renouncement" - My BBM Music Video!  (Read 8239 times)

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
Re: "Renouncement" - My BBM Music Video!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 06:54:14 pm »
Hi Mike,
Wow. Great video and music! Where can one download it from?

Really, great work.

Love,
Reanna
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 08:20:49 pm »
 ;D

Heathen

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 08:57:56 pm »
Hi Mike,
Wow. Great video and music! Where can one download it from?

Really, great work.

Love,
Reanna

Thank you so much Reanna!  The video is getting such great responses here and elsewhere...really warms the heart.  "Renouncement" is an international labor of love (Katie in Canada, Me in USA)...just like BBM!

:D HIGH QUALITY DOWNLOAD IS NOW AVAILABLE!!

If you would like to "own" our video on your hardrive please contact Katie at her PM service via the YouTube link in the first post.  She would love to hear from you.  Say "hi" for me!

Mike

rtprod

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 10:58:39 am »
Michael,

I LOVE IT,  I JUST LOVE IT.  YOU BLEW ME AWAY.

You have distilled the essence of the story and film into a short piece, yet you have also re-directed the material and given it a melodramatic, moving and operatic touch that Ang Lee surpressed!  I can see that this material, in other hands (yours), could be very emotionally pumped up and still effective.  It is very poetic, Michael, and the music underscores the idyllic first half of your video so beautifully.  In doing so, you have also made an inadverdent and point-well-taken statement about the role that music plays in film and its ability to make a union like theirs either emotionally reserved (Lee) or emotionally BIG (you). 

I LOVE IT.  I'm going to look at it again.  You have given the material a new "read" -- wow.  I'm impressed.   

rt    ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 11:01:08 am by rtprod »

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 09:18:50 pm »
Dear rt,

Thank You, Thank you!!  Your review means so much to me!  What an honor to recieve such a "rave" from our own resident film critic.  You see directly into the heart of my intent for this video and have articulated my vision so beautifully!

Yes, indeed....music has a powerful effect upon our perception and emotions. I've always been intrigued by how music in film can elicit "feelings" in the audience that would not be there without that particular musical melody or greatly altered by a completely different score.  Case in point...Gustavo's score is absolutely brilliant in it's sparse, haunting quality and as such it perfectly matches Ang's vision for the film as a meditation of hidden longings and unspoken feelings. 

The first time I saw BBM, I couldn't feel much.  I felt numb.  I admired the story, the screenplay, the direction, the acting, the cinematography, the score...but not one tear was shed.  Yes, I was moved, but felt "suppressed" by the film itself.  It wasn't until the next day...did that suppression ease and the film hit me in the gut (and heart) with such a primal force I was completely overwhelmed with grief and love for these characters (and this movie).

This experience got me to thinking how BBM would have "hit" me had the score been different...same movie, different score...perhaps a more epic score that conveyed the romantic sweep and tragedy of love, longing and loss. 

The first time I heard "Renouncement" (2 years ago) I was moved to tears.  I couldn't explain why...it was completely irrational, yet the composition touched something deep, profound and yes..."suppressed" in me and allowed those hidden feelings to surface.  Well, the same could be said for "Brokeback Mountain"...but it worked it's magic in a completely opposite way.  Ang's masterful direction (and Gustavo's score) did not allow me to release the suppressed feelings the film had elicited within.  And THAT, I believe.. is why this film has such power over us (me)..because it "stirs things up" within us but doesn't allow us to fully release those feelings, thus leaving us haunted and compelled to return to it (the movie) over and over seeking resolution and healing.  Gustavo's sparse guitar score is key to that phenomenon.

After seeing BBM several times I pulled out the Michael Hoppe CD and listened to "Renouncement" with new ears.  I was stunned by how the piece brought up very specific scenes of the film within my mind's eye.  Even more surprising was how the music allowed those feelings the film had elicited to re-surface and be healed/released.  Thus my "vision" for this music video was born.

I'm thrilled that so many people are responding to the video in such a postive (and perhaps healing) manner.  Much credit is due to Katie for her remarkable editing talents in bringing my vision to life.

Thanks again rt! :D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 01:03:50 am by You-Bet »

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 05:33:55 pm »
 ;D  Bump! ;D

Celebrating 1300 YouTube views in it's first week of release!

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 06:55:18 pm »
Wow that is a lot! That number will go up when I finally get to see it, I will definitley try and watch it tomorrow! Promise. :-*
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 07:07:13 pm »
Wow that is a lot! That number will go up when I finally get to see it, I will definitley try and watch it tomorrow! Promise. :-*

It's an absolutely beautiful video.  Watched it again 10 minutes ago.  The music will definately get you  :'(
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 12:51:35 am »
It is soooo beautiful... I LOVE it.   :-*

Thanks for sharing.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 01:12:48 pm »
THAT'S EXACTLY THE KIND OF MUSIC I CAN'T STAND...except--here...

Thank you so much.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters