Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain meets the World of Interior Design!  (Read 17715 times)

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Brokeback Mountain meets the World of Interior Design!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:59:08 pm »
LOL !  My ex girlfriend bought a keytag that says: All the Good men are Married, Gay or Crazy".

Boy was she right!    After I broke up with her, the next guy she met was also gay, then she ended up with a married guy.   He left his wife and married her.   Now which one was crazy?    ::)

Depends on who her new hubby was originally married to.  If it was, say... Ann Coulter... then the crazy one is Gay Guy #2.

:)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 10:45:02 pm »
Ugly gay guys exist? I thought the rule was that all the good looking guys were either 1) gay or 2) married...

L

That rule doesn't work both ways. "All good-looking guys are either 1) gay or 2) married" does NOT mean "All guys who are 2) married or 1) gay are good-looking."

;)  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 11:21:42 pm »
That rule doesn't work both ways. "All good-looking guys are either 1) gay or 2) married" does NOT mean "All guys who are 2) married or 1) gay are good-looking."

Good catch, Jeff!  I didn't even realize that!

In philosophy, they refer to this illogical argument as "Affirming the Consequent."

You see, the logical argument that it uses as an attempt to be rational is "Modus Ponens" which states:  "If p then q."  (Affirming the Consequent assumes that the consequent [q] goes hand-in-hand with the proposition [p], which isn't so.)

Sorry, I'm a philosophy / sociology major.  I got an A in deductive reasonsing.   :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 11:37:53 pm »
Sorry, I'm a philosophy / sociology major.  I got an A in deductive reasonsing.   :D

Cool! Congratulations, David! Maybe some day you can explain Descartes to me. Never did quite get that Cogito, ergo sum business. ...  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:46:51 pm »
Descartes!  "I think, therefore I am."  (I've seriously considered tattooing "cogito ergo sum" on my body.)

There's really only one thing that you need to know, and it's that he thinks nothing can be proven other than that you, yourself exist.  He tried to disprove everything that he could and go back to the roots of what he could no for sure, and in doing so he only knew one thing for certain.  That being that he was actually able to question and doubt beliefs, which meant that he was thinking.  And if he's thinking, then he, himself, must exist, for even if something was deceiving him... the fact that he was actually being deceived proved that there was something to deceive.  (If that makes sense.)

And if I'm not mistaken, I do believe that "I think, therefore I am," is a misquote... much the same way "play it again, Sam" is.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 12:23:25 am »
So does that mean that my favorite philosophy joke doesn't work?

(Descartes was in the grocery store, looking for some Jiffy chunky peanut butter. He couldn't find any, so he asked his local Monroe-equivalent where it was.

Monroe looked, but there wasn't any left. "How about some creamy peanut butter instead?"

Descartes huffed "I think not!" and disappeared.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:05 am »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 07:39:01 am »
his local Monroe-equivalent ....

Love this  :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 07:49:19 am »

Similarly, to err is human, to forgive, divine.

Therefore, we are all divine humans.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 07:49:51 am »
Bruce Vilanch

Ha ha, you can have him in your club, David!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!