Author Topic: Resistol  (Read 9650 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Resistol
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:49:57 pm »
Thought some a Y'all might be innerested:

http://www.resistolhat.com/
http://www.resistolhat.com/felt.htm
http://www.resistolhat.com/history.htm

Resistol History

In the early 1920's a young millionaire, E.R. Byer sold his business in Michigan and traveled South to further his fortune and investment. His investment was a brilliant young hat maker, Harry Rolnick, who was operating a small hat factory. E.R. Byer was one of Rolnick's customers and was so impressed by his professionalism, flair for fashion and devotion to quality that in 1927 the firm of Byer-Rolnick was founded in Dallas, Texas. The company produced men's felt hats in Western and Dress stylings, both were marketed under the newly created brand name "Resistol Hats," meaning to resist- all weather.

Distribution was limited to Texas and Oklahoma early on, but innovations like the Self-Conforming band and Kitten Finish (an innovation in the finishing process of felt) gained national exposure and in 1938 prompted expansion to a larger facility in Garland, Texas, where Resistol hats are manufactured today.

Byer-Rolnick's success continued and the Resistol brand became the greatest name in western hats. In an effort to better control the quality and flow of product, Byer-Rolnick acquired a fur cutting plant and built a rough-body plant in Longview, Texas. These acquisitions made Byer-Rolnick the first and only manufacturer to operate the entire felt hat making process, which includes over 200 processes. By operating all phases of production, Byer- Rolnick was able to obtain maximum quality control and thereby produce the most consistent and finest hat known the world over.

Demand for Resistol hats continued and today "the small hat factory" is the largest manufacturer of headwear in the world, as a part of Hatco, Inc. All phases of production are still operated and controlled to ensure product of the highest quality.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resistol
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:01:02 pm »
Fascinating - do you know if they seen even greater interest in their product since the movie?
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:52:43 pm »
I don't know--but I'll bet Rockport Shirts sure has!

"Camping Out"

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:13:38 pm »
After seeing BBM I seriously considered buying one, though I hate wearing hats!
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Rockport
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 03:17:19 pm »
Yes, they are based in Denver (I am too) and there was a story in the Denver Post about their increase in business. I'm gonna go over there one a these days and stock up because I only have two western shirts and I'm wearing them out! I do get some western wear at Shepler's (you know about them Brandon dontcha?) but I buy my jeans at the Harley dealer. I posted the link to the article on the IMDB site one time, it's probably gone now so I'll look for it again. Thanks for the Resistol info--I have two black cowboy hats, neither fits me. I'll have to look and see if either one is a Resistol.

Every January we have a stock show in Denver and people are allowed to dude up in their western wear. But because of BBM, I'm still wearing my western duds and it's April. Somebody noticed the other day and said, "Uh, Lee, the stock show is over." I told him I had taken off my bolo tie and gone back to my regular corporate uniform.  ::)

BTW, you should think about auditioning for prop director; I think Becky is still looking for one in her casting call thread.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline YaadPyar

Re: Rockport
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 03:36:46 pm »

because I only have two western shirts and I'm wearing them out!

You and Ennis...do you use a grocery sack for luggage too?
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 04:11:26 pm »
Um, isn't that RockMOUNT?

RockPORT is Maine, as in L.L. Bean.

(Oh, we're back to beans again. ...)  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 04:30:13 pm »
Jeff:

Well, Duh, I guess!

The sawbones gave me new drugs today (old ones didn't really do much), and I am happppppeeeee, but not thinking too clearly, I guess! (Science is wunnnnnderful!)

(Funny, I'm actually lusting for some o' these duds--to think that I'd actually deign to let snap-fastened clothing touch my flesh! My, how things do change....)

;D

John

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 04:36:23 pm »
Yes, I do, I carry my lunch in a grocery bag. Now I am getting nervous, I thought I was more like Jack but I seem to have some Ennis traits too. However I do like to wear turquoise jewelry but in more moderation than Jack and his Texas kin did.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:27 pm »
Jeff:

Well, Duh, I guess!

The sawbones gave me new drugs today (old ones didn't really do much), and I am happppppeeeee, but not thinking too clearly, I guess! (Science is wunnnnnderful!)

(Funny, I'm actually lusting for some o' these duds--to think that I'd actually deign to let snap-fastened clothing touch my flesh! My, how things do change....)

;D

John

John,

I'm distressed to hear you're still not feeling well. (Wrings hands with worrry. ...)

But, "Better living through chemistry!"  ;D

Just wait till we take you shopping after brunch. You're gonna make a cute cowboy. ...  ;)

You feel better real soon, you hear!?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 06:57:52 pm »
I made the same mistake...Rockmount...how could I forget that name!  ;D And John is thinking very eloquently today, IMHO, check out some of his other posts. Love those pearl-snap front shirts, they make such a dramatic statement when you rip them off!!

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 08:15:56 pm »
Love those pearl-snap front shirts, they make such a dramatic statement when you rip them off!!

Tee-hee!  Fer sure...
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 10:09:36 pm »
I just now noticed that I always read that name without the second s, to make it Resitol. Weird.

Thanks for the info John, feel better soon!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 02:52:17 pm »
Well if you want to get the shirt that goes with the hat in the movie, I came across this...Has anyone ever been to this store. Might check it out if I'm ever in Denver.  It's the supplier of the shirts used in BBM. Dont' know if this has been posted before.  :-*

Jack A. Weil, 105 years old, smiles in his office and shop in downtown Denver, Colorado April 7, 2006. The founder of Rockmount Ranch Wear is the oldest and longest-serving CEO in the U.S.. His clothes has become a mainstay for celebrities and politicians and his collection was worn in the movie 'Brokeback Mountain' with a shirt worn in the film selling recently for over $100,000 on eBay. REUTERS/Rick Wilking

Jack A. Weil, 105 years old, (lower left) talks with a customer in his office and shop in downtown Denver, Colorado April 7, 2006. The founder of Rockmount Ranch Wear is the oldest and longest-serving CEO in the U.S.. His clothes have become a mainstay for celebrities and politicians and his collection was worn in the movie 'Brokeback Mountain' with a shirt worn in the film selling recently for over $100,000 on eBay. REUTERS/Rick Wilking

Here's the line showing the store and the owner.
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?p=brokeback+mountain&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&xargs=12KPjg1t9SroGmmvmnEOOIMLrcmUsOkZ7Fo5h7DOV5CtdY6hNdE-IfXp-fxodtTphm-wzWuLrFr-MO6cP-g4O6rjm3QkaLH6GugtfRzv84F5-R&pstart=4&b=11&fr=FP-tab-web-t342&c=news_photos

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 03:49:47 pm »
Thanks, K.D.! That's the story I was talking about earlier.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 05:58:10 pm »
When Pete Tannen (PTannen) and Eric  (sfercsf) told me they'd be meeting me for the movie in Stetsons, I was a little leary (of course, I wore my with-letters-two-inch-high shirt with "You know, friend, this is a goddamned bitch of a unstisfactory situation" on it, and didn't give it a second thought). But they both looked really NICE--Eric has a real black felt one, with a silver or silver-like band around the bottom of the inner rise and Pete's is summer straw, but they both looked perfect. Guess those aren't Resistol, though, huh--bought in Californa...

It was the first time I had a chance to talk about the movie with people who weren't se sick of hearing about it from me, they practically bash me on the head...so it was one of the larger thrills of my life...

Thanks for the history lesson, Jeff--I love stuff like that. And, by the way, all of you fanfiction writers are being so careful to get all the period and personal details right--it's as real pleasure..                          real brimmy, ain't they? CLICK TO ERNLARGE

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:00:20 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 06:09:04 pm »
I love that it says they make em with a 'kitten finish,' seems very Jack to me.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 06:48:39 pm »
Gosh, now that you mention it, Jack IS awfully kittenish, isn't he!

Aww! I do love that.

The fog of senility does occasionally clear--I suddenly remember an article about cowboy hats a year back, or so; seems the quality of felt has been falling off sharply for years, not the fault of the primo (custom) hat manufacturers, they'd sell their souls to get the true gelt if they could--when knowlegeable hat people see the real thing, they pounce--fellow mentioned in the article happened upon three hats sitting unsold in a shop and grabbed 'em for an ungodly sum--gave one each to his son and grandson--when a hatter spied the third on his head, he fairly drooled--fascinating when one has a glimpse into the arcana of a different world--who knew that high-end cowboy hats--and felt--had vintages???

Howdy Jeff'n'Courtney--thanks for the kind thoughts--on the mend, I hope! (Ibuprofen beats Old Rose hands down!)

;D

"Camping Out"

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 04:06:45 am »
Gonna bump so I can find, even tho I don't know how to do that yet.
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 07:08:34 pm »
Hey, JOhn. We're keeping your thread going until you're feeling better!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 01:58:08 pm »
Birthday present to myself...a straw cowboy hat like Ennis wears in the drive-in movie scene. I'll try to get a picture of myself in it at the CSN&Y concert I'm going to this Thursday...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 08:39:55 pm »
Lee--

Wow.

How to  strange for me to see this revived old thread...on April 12 and then April 13 I was four days and then three days away from having...my stroke. I thought I had a pretty bad flu (with a touch of 'pleurisy'), and instead my lungs were actually filled with pulmonary emboli about to go 'boom'...guess I was very, very lucky, considering, but...uh.

Thanks. Lee, thanks, really, for "keeping your thread going until you're feeling better!" Really. Even if I'm a bit worse for wear!

I LOVE Ennis's straw hat--I've been wanting one since I first saw the movie! I'm DYING to see your photo--Lee, please let's see you wearing your (birthday) hat!

Happy birthday!

xxxx
John
 ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:42:13 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 11:17:46 am »
I hope I am not dredging up bad memories by reviving this thread, John! It's one of my personal faves. Last nite my son told my husband that I had bought a cowboy hat up at Buffalo Bill's grave and gift shop, and so I put it on for him. He said it was a hillbilly cowboy hat and seemed to approve. Watched "Open Range" which is the only movie I've seen this decade in which I liked Kevin Costner. Of course, Robert Duvall was excellent in it and Annette Bening was not bad.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 07:00:36 pm »
One of my fave topics by the incomparable John Gallagher.