Author Topic: BBM in the Athletic Dept.  (Read 4013 times)

Offline scottf.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
BBM in the Athletic Dept.
« on: April 12, 2006, 01:22:19 pm »
Hi Folks!

This is my first post on this board. I'm Scott, otherwise know as sfulk on the other two boards. I wanted to let you know something that I think will give you a kick.

I work in the Athletic/Student Life Department of a small midwest college, and everyone around here knows I'm a brokie, including most of the athletes. They've good-naturedly razzed me about it for the past four months.

Well, let me tell you...I brought the DVD in yesterday because an athlete's fiance wanted to see it. So they both watched it last night and liked it very much. In fact, they were both in my office for about an hour this morning asking me the ususal "was Jack murdered," questions, etc., we all had "In The Beginning."

Now there's a "take a number" line of kids wanting to borrow my DVD so THEY can watch it. All seem curious, none seem at all bothered by the content. In other words, it's been totally accepted.

It's a new age.

Scott

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Re: BBM in the Athletic Dept.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:27:36 pm »
What a great post Scott!  It's really good for the soul when you see something like this.

:)
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:51:39 pm »
Welcome Scott! I remember you from the other boards-glad you made it over.

O0

Heathen

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 02:30:51 pm »
 :D Welcome Scott!

Nice to have some Midwestern Brokies on board.  I grew up in the Midwest, and also attended a "small midwestern college".  Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story.  So I guess it is true, BBM is capturing the heart of America (as the ads said!).

Enjoy our communtity :)  Mike

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 02:53:03 pm »
Welcome scott. that's really wonderful to hear. it really is a wonderful work of art, and I'm glad that more people will be seeing it.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 03:44:10 pm »
Wow this wasn't how I expected this subject to read, and it's a very pleasant surprise. Thanks, Scott! and thanks for being open about your Brokiness to the student community. We need more like u!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 04:04:03 pm »
Neat! Thanks for sharing that hopeful bit of news, Scott!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 05:59:28 pm »
I work in the Athletic/Student Life Department of a small midwest college, and everyone around here knows I'm a brokie, including most of the athletes. They've good-naturedly razzed me about it for the past four months.

Well, let me tell you...I brought the DVD in yesterday because an athlete's fiance wanted to see it. So they both watched it last night and liked it very much. In fact, they were both in my office for about an hour this morning asking me the ususal "was Jack murdered," questions, etc., we all had "In The Beginning."

Now there's a "take a number" line of kids wanting to borrow my DVD so THEY can watch it. All seem curious, none seem at all bothered by the content. In other words, it's been totally accepted.

It's a new age.

Yes, things have come very far very fast...  Wonder how your athletic friends will react if THE FRONTRUNNER ever gets made. I think it's about a track star.  Ppl in the 1970's though the book was so inplausible, a gay athlete. There's no such thing.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 08:07:14 pm »
Oh, Scott, your post made me so happy! I love it when I hear about people opening their minds and hearts to this film.

At work, I have about eight patients a day, and I have the habit of "casually" veering the conversation towards movies -> Oscars -> Best Films of 2005 -> Brokeback Mountain, just to test the waters and, maybe, adding my nudging contribution towards getting people interested in seeing the film. OK, also because I cannot help myself and I keep looking for people who want to share their opinion about it.
Anyway,  some days it's quite discouraging to see how many people not only didn't see it, but don't want to see it either. If I were to make an average guess, I'd say about 75% of the patients I have are in that category. The bulk of them are 30 to 50 years old. So, maybe there's hope for more open-mindedness for the younger generations...

Moni
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 03:58:57 am »
Great story Scott.  I hope a lot of them end up getting their own DVD.  Speaking of which, anyone know how many BBM sold in its first week?

vkm91941

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 07:13:48 am »
Scott you made it!  Hi and welcome.  Nice story sounds like a great bunch of kids.  I'll be interested in how they react to The Front Runner too when/if it ever gets made.