Author Topic: BBM and “T-Shirt Theology” at the San Francisco Unitarian Church  (Read 3184 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
My partner, David, and I went to the San Francisco Unitarian Church today. Folks had been asked to wear a t-shirt or sweatshirt with a message proclaiming their passion and then, if they wanted to, to verbally share about it from the Chancel for a minute or so.

So, of course   ;D , I wore a BBM t-shirt (a simple one that Eric gave me: white, with Brokeback Mountain in small black letters).  I said that BBM deeply affected me and many others and brought people of all ages, genders, and sexual orientations together; that it transformed lives by inspiring people to make major changes; helped people overcome prejudice; and opened up a nationwide dialog on homophobia, same-sex marriage, and human rights. I briefly mentioned my travels to BBM events, meeting Annie Proulx and Judy Shepard; and E-mail correspondence with a college student who was coming out to his parents. I concluded by saying, “There’s no reins on this one!”  Several people talked to me afterwards and said that the movie also touched them.   :)
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: BBM and “T-Shirt Theology” at the San Francisco Unitarian Church
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:13:12 pm »
Way to go, Pete!  :D

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:13:00 am »
Pete, I'm presenting you with the Brokie Outreach Award.  The Outie is presented for distinguished and meritorious service in bringing the Brokeback message to the larger community.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:35:11 am »
Pete, you rule!  Awesome work, friend.
-Lynne

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 01:58:06 pm »
Pete, I'm presenting you with the Brokie Outreach Award.  The Outie is presented for distinguished and meritorious service in bringing the Brokeback message to the larger community.

Aw, gee, Clarissa *blushes and turns head slightly* thank you so much!  Preciate it very much!!  :-*

Pete

PS - I guess I am pretty obsessive about this: San Francisco Mayor's Office, Toastmasters, PFLAG, Unitarian Church . . . I wonder what will be next?   ::)
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 02:12:20 pm »
Well, there's the Democratic National Convention here in Denver in 2008! Start practicin Pete!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 06:20:15 pm »
I second that nomination, Lee! We've got ourselves a spokesman here. Seriously, that's AWESOME, Pete. Can you give us some lessons on how it's done?

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 12:02:30 am »

What a great idea, Clarissa!  8)

Congrats, Pete!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...