Author Topic: The Real Life Brokeback Mountain  (Read 3706 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The Real Life Brokeback Mountain
« on: April 12, 2006, 07:27:32 pm »
I am posting this because it's probably of interest to many of us.  I am not endorsing or supporting any political organization or agenda in doing so ~ just want ya'll to know that.  If the happier 'sweet life' ending Jack had hoped for had worked out for our friends, this could have been their story...

Unjust Judgments

"Earl wanted to bequeath to Sam the ranch the couple had shared for 23 years. But when Earl’s will was contested, a judge ruled in favor of giving the ranch to his distant cousins, forcing Sam to turn his home over to strangers."

To learn more about what when gay/lesbian couples’ relationships aren’t treated as legally valid, click on the link below.

http://www.aclu.tv/episodes/gayrights/

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Real Life Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:08:05 pm »
Some of my older Gay friends have told me that they legally "Adopt" eachother.   This way if one of them dies, the cousins can't come out of the woodwork and kick the partner out of the home and take items from the house.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 10:31:05 pm »
Wow - so sad to have to play games like this with the law.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 10:11:04 pm »
I remember hearing this story before (one of the men died and the other was kicked off their property in favor of some random, distant cousins). It was so tragic and sad.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 09:36:27 pm »
If people would only realize the human aspects to relationships same sex marriages would be legal and eliminate this type of tragedy.
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi