Author Topic: Sharing fics saved as Word docs  (Read 4935 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Sharing fics saved as Word docs
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:58 pm »
Hoping not to step on any toes legally or emotionally, can we put together a share list of who has what saved as a Word document for those of us who want to print and bind? Just indicate what you have and if you would be willing to forward it to those who request via PM.

I'll list what I have and what I want when I get home-unless someone has a reason we shouldn't do this.

O0

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Sharing fics saved as Word docs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:23:22 pm »
God! Would somebody popular please go first?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:44:08 pm »
Hoping not to step on any toes legally or emotionally

This is a great idea, but wouldn't it be courtesy, even though it's probably not illegal, to know if the author first approves of this being done before posting such details publically online?
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:08:58 pm »
Richard, RouxB, et al.,

I think it would be good, if possible, to get the author's consent, or at least assent. I know that as an author, I would like to know where my story is being disseminated. But that's me, not all authors might feel the same way or care as much.

That said, I have a word file that is all formatted for printing (page numbers, a table of contents, etc) plus a cover of A Love Born From Steel. I had copies bound that I shared with friends at the Boston Brokie Get Together (so Roux, you already have a copy. Maybe you can vouch for the formatting!). If anyone would like the files, please send me a PM with your email and I will get the files off to you.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:22:13 pm »
no_reins posted his stories "Riding Fence" and "An Uneventful Life" on LiveJournal as PDFs so you can download the entire story in seconds and it's already formatted. It's GREAT. I wish more authors would do that. It's so tedious to copy and paste, especially a long story.

one_of_one

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 08:40:47 pm »
That sounds like a good idea, Leslie/cc33.  I'd like to do that with mine if it makes things easier for folks.  How do you do it though?  How do you upload the file?

I can be of no help with the saved files, as I have several chapters of various fics that I started to copy and paste, but got bored with part way through.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:16:53 pm »
It's a pdf-zip file that is posted online. You'd need to have the software to convert documents to pdfs. Then the file is compressed and posted.

I'm the same way, Helen. I start out saving the stories and then the story gets too long to keep copying and pasting or else I just read the story and not save it.

Leslie

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:30:52 pm »
The only stories I've managed to save are Somebody New/FON and the second half of del Mar Painting because I told mel I'd send it to her.... but generally I'm the same way, I get bored copy/pasting chapters and give up. I think maybe I have Green Eyes somewhere from way back in the day...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 10:12:58 am »

The only stories I've managed to save are Somebody New/FON and the second half of del Mar Painting because I told mel I'd send it to her.... but generally I'm the same way, I get bored copy/pasting chapters and give up. I think maybe I have Green Eyes somewhere from way back in the day...

Hi Mandy, well late is better than never I guess....  I already know from Neuonitz that she would rather have control over her story Green Eyes, and does not want me to pass it around.....  for what it's worth.

Jane
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 10:30:55 am »
Hi Mandy, well late is better than never I guess....  I already know from Neuonitz that she would rather have control over her story Green Eyes, and does not want me to pass it around.....  for what it's worth.

Jane

Thanks for letting me know! I haven't sent it to anyone, I figured that might have been an issue because of the way she took it off her journal for a long time.... but it's nice to know for sure  :-*
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline el_wing

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • and bite me too...
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:59 pm »
Speaking only for myself here, but I have no problem with anyone printing my works and passing them around. Feel free to do so. To me, it’s the way it should be—after all, that’s how slash originally started, storied passed around.
Leaves turn over with the times,
The sun breaks each day with shines,
Hither awhile, then whither back--
It is life that people lack.
     ~el-wing