Author Topic: Be Prepared - the Beckham's are heading your way!!!  (Read 23316 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Be Prepared - the Beckham's are heading your way!!!
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007, 03:24:49 am »
He made it here??!!!  :D

Now instead of 5000 miles, he's only 2000 miles away from me.  :-\

I guess we gotta take what we can get, huh?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2007, 04:48:14 am »
How many zillions of dollars are they paying this guy? And now he's INJURED??

I know. But it is true he's injured. He got injured here in Madrid I think at a practice, and was on leave for a few weeks. It was all over the press, as you can imagine. You know how it is, if a soccer player breaks a nail it makes front-page news, here. I'm exaggerating though, well... not that much!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2007, 07:32:17 am »
So I asked my son Lance, who was home from camp for 24 hours, "Is David Beckham single-handedly turn the US into a nation of soccer watchers?" and he said, "I doubt it." I asked why and explained that the game we play here is not the same game that causes such a wild fanaticism in the rest of the world. The biggest thing, he said, is the field is smaller, but there are other subtle rule changes. I asked if really makes that much difference and he said, "Mom, it's like watching Tuffy Football vs. the NFL" (meaning the non-US version is the NFL).

He watches soccer/football from the rest of the world and loves it, and wonders why on earth we have a different game here. He also thinks it is only a matter of time before David Beckham gets fed up/bored and heads back to England, or Spain, or somewhere else where they are playing the "real" game.

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2007, 08:49:22 am »
Rumor has it that Beckham is about to retire, that he'll play just two more years. Maybe that's the reason why he decided to go to the US. But I don't know if it is true because he signed for 5 years with the LA team. So who knows. On the other hand, Beckham stardom as a soccer player was beginning to fade, at least in Spain. He still has international fame but, according to my sister, in the past months he had a lot of problems with El Real Madrid because the coach did not want him in the field. He kept him on the bench in most games, including important games. It got so bad that his fellow players called a press conference to ask the team management to get Beckham off the bench. On top of that, he is injured. He has been dragging that problem with the ankle for sometime now.

More info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/5392932.stm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:06:06 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2007, 01:35:02 pm »
But what was it a commercial for, Shasta?  Just David Beckham himself?  Is he running for governor of California?  This sounds nuts.  As if some musclebound furriner could ever get elected to.........grumble grumble...

Yeah---it was just welcoming Beckham, as far as I could tell. I didn't see any product sponsor, but I just saw it in passing--so not sure. It was very cool commercial, tho. He oughtta feel VERY welcome!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2007, 04:04:30 pm »
Damn!
he's hot!
He can eat crackers in my bed anytime!
I guess I'll be watchin soccer more! :o
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2007, 09:54:41 pm »
I've never seen a commercial welcoming anybody to the US.  That's very surprising.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2007, 10:29:43 pm »
Here's part of it. The commercial that I saw was this, but longer.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F181MI-llTo[/youtube]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2007, 10:36:51 pm »
Thanks for posting, Shasta.   As I understand it, getting the rights to use a Beatles song in a commercial is VERY expensive (thank you, Michael Jackson).

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2007, 10:44:47 pm »
Yeah---I can't imagine how much $$ was spent on that little welcome wagon deal. Great song to use, tho, huh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~