Author Topic: It's happening ..  (Read 30597 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
It's happening ..
« on: January 12, 2007, 07:52:02 pm »
What is happening, you ask?  ;)

I can't help but notice that most times, there are more guests online than actual users.
Looks like some of us are slowly getting back into our "real" lives once more ..
That is inevitable for sure, but kinda sad when things get quiet 'round here ..

And another interesting thing .. There are tons of people signed up as users who have never actually posted anything .. :o
Come on, people, we ain't that boring!  De-lurk and join in!  ;)

Anyway, just a little rant before I head out for margaritas!  8)
Happy Friday night y'all!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: It's happening ..
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:03:58 pm »
Happy Friday Night to you, too, my dear!

Yeah, I've noticed that, too.  But it's cool that we have so much Guest traffic - due in part to the HBO, and now Movie Channel and Cinemax, showings, I'm sure.

Gonna be such a FUN weekend pour moi.  SNL would be enough to make it so, but Will also has his birthday party tomorrow, and I'm going to a surprise birthday party on Sunday (for an adult - YAY!!!).

Hope you all have fun weekend plans, too.

No more beans!

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:09:22 pm »
I can't help but notice that most times, there are more guests online than actual users.
Some of these 'guests' could be registered users who are just checking in for a moment...I have on occasion visited for a while without actually logging in. But I usually do log in if I plan on staying for any length of time.
And another interesting thing .. There are tons of people signed up as users who have never actually posted anything .. :o
Come on, people, we ain't that boring!  De-lurk and join in!  ;)
Yes, I join Lucise in encouraging all BetterMostians, prospective or otherwise, to jot off a little post introducing yourselves and saying hi. We're a friendly lot, and would like the opportunity to get to know you.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:11:24 pm »
Happy birthday to little Will!! Is he about 5 years old? Give him a kiss for me!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:26:03 pm »
Happy birthday to little Will!! Is he about 5 years old? Give him a kiss for me!!

Yeah! Happy birthday to little Will! Having just survived the belated 5th birthday party for my kid today, I don't envy Barb, though. Phew. Little kids can be kinda chaotic... And I swear, I won't bake a cake again for a long time!!!  :P

I agree with moremojo. Many of the lurkers are probably regulars who are just checking in, reading. But it's true: it has gotten more quiet here, and I have to blame myself, too. Real life keeps distracting me at the moment. Lol. Christmas, birthdays, baking cakes, and more cakes, working... Working! Yeah. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 08:52:37 pm »
Oh, I won't be baking a cake for this one.  I did make him some cupcakes for his actual birthday, which was December 28th.  Kind of the cheater's way out, I know...  And I've ordered one from Publix (the grocery store down here in SoFlo).  They actually do a very nice job.  It'll have blue and red frosting and a Spider-Man theme on it.  That reminds me - I need to be sure to pick up some blue and red balloons tomorrow morning when I go to get it.  We're having it at the local kids' gymnastics place.  They're big down here.  They have a big trampoline and stuff they can swing and climb on, but with mats everywhere and three "coaches" to spot them.  I've been to a couple of these for other kids before, and so far, no serious injuries!  ;)  (None at all, really.)  It costs a bit, but it's better than trying to entertain 15 5-year-olds yourself.  I don't know how my Mom did it.  And three times over, besides.

I'm putting together veggie and cheese and coldcuts plates (with dips) for the adults.  Got all the stuff for it tonight.  Just gotta grab the cake... and balloons... and ice... and soda...  GAH!  tomorrow morning.  Shoot - I'd better rest up for this weekend tonight...
No more beans!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:06:51 pm »
Oh you mean you won't have them running through your house? Wise decision!  ;)
We, too, managed without serious injuries, though. But then, there were only five kids. I read once that you should never invite more children than your kid turns years old. Five was perfect. They played well together. In between various arguments, that is...

:)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:24:57 pm »
Good luck with the party, Barb!  It sounds like both kiddies and adults will have a good time.  :)

You're probably right about people falling away to re-focus on "real" life, but some of the Guests you're seeing are actually search engine spiders, called Inktomi.  Since we switched servers last month, we've had a lot more of them on here cataloguing data.

As for the registered members who don't post, if you or anyone reading this has ideas about how to reach and motivate them, please pass them on to Lynne or any of the mods.  I think a certain percentage of these folks would respond to friendly encouragement.

I registered long ago at DC and only posted once or twice.  Maybe if someone had taken the time to say howdy, I'd have gotten more involved.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 09:37:39 pm »
Gonna be such a FUN weekend pour moi ... Will also has his birthday party tomorrow

I was going to say, Barb's holding a kid's birthday party tomorrow and that's a reason to LOOK FORWARD to this weekend? Wow, she must be a great mom!

The gymnastics place sounds like a good deal. Especially the coaches. I am totally in favor of any birthday-party shortcuts you can find: we go out bowling, roller-skating, wall climbing, I buy the establishment-provided decor and hot-dog or pizza lunch, AND serve store-bought cupcakes! In fact, in more recent years I've taken to getting Dairy Queen ice-cream cakes or ice-cream pizzas, because then you don't need separate ice cream.

I held only one party at our house. Luckily, my control-freak, alpha-male, future-party-planning, then-6-year-old son took over all the planning, decorating, game-choosing ... everything, down to setting up the games and picking out the prizes for the treat bags. But even then I found the whole thing kind of terrifying!

Well, I guess this is a little OT ...  ::)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 04:15:38 am »
Barb ~  Have fun with the kiddies and your Will's birthday party!   :)

Anke ~ Great tip on not inviting more kids than your birthday kid's age ..  Sounds like smart advice (except on the first birthday party .. one kid invited will not make much of a party ..  ;D)

Meryl
~ Agreed.  We gotta brainstorm on how to encourage lurkers to de-lurk and participate.. :)

Anyway .. looking forward to Jakey's SNL performance tonight!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 05:22:38 am »
I agree with you Lucise.   One night there was at least 60 guests on and 12 users. I think alot of the guest come here to read the fanfiction which is great. Our authors definately deserve the audience and it's all a good thing. But I sure wish that our guests would register and let themselves be known. Even if they don't post it would be nice for the writers of the stories or threads  that they are fans of, to be able to thank them or correspond with them.

It does seem to me the user count has gone down drastically lately. It also seems that it's a very small handfull that keep on posting lately too.  I wish every user would at least drop a line on some thread when they visit. It would also be nice if the users would log in before they read posts. that would kinda give us an idea who is still here!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 08:38:43 am »
Some of these 'guests' could be registered users who are just checking in for a moment...I have on occasion visited for a while without actually logging in. But I usually do log in if I plan on staying for any length of time.

Same here. If I don't have time and just hop on the board for a few minutes, I don't log in.

I noticed lesser traffic mostly at the open forum, which I find particularly pity since it's my fav board.

Barb: Have fun with the bunch. I'm surprised that the parents of the guests stay at the party, too  :o. But with 15 kids of that age it's probably better and easier.
We have the same rule about age and numbers of guests like Anke (give or take one). The first children's party is at the age of our, when they have been in kindergrten for a year and actually do have own friends. The first three years, only the relatives are coming for the birthdays.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 10:10:12 am »
Oh, yeah, the parents always stay down here.  Not sure if it is an all-American thing or a South Florida thing, but even if you have it at your house, the parents stay.  Will had his first one at three, at Gymboree.  I wouldn't have even done that, but his little best friend's birthday was around the same time, all their friends were in common (from the neighborhood), and the friend's mother split the cost with me.

Here's a picture of him and me at that party.  He was having "Happy Birthday" sung to him, but apparently his mind was elsewhere.  What can you expect for a three-year-old boy?

That went so well, we're doing it again this year.  They're both in pre-K and in small classes, so the kids are from school mostly, plus one or two of the old neighborhood gang.  (We didn't do it last year because Will had to have hernia surgery right around this time of year, unfortunately, so we just did a little get-together with a few friends here at home - turns out it followed your rule, Anke.)

Katherine, the thought of having a bunch of six-year-olds at my house is terrifying to me, too!  Especially since down here, their parents would be staying, so I'd have to have food and decorations that please them, as well. 

The party today is almost more about the adults.  We ordered little ice cream cakes (good call!) for Will and his birthday partner, but since it's at 3:00, we didn't order pizza for them.  Instead, we're bringing nibblies for them to grab periodically while they're playing (and really more for the adults - his friend's mom is making her "famous" spinach-artichoke dip and salsa this morning, and I'm making a chili-cheese dip that's cooking in the Crock Pot right now).  We keep finding as we go to these things that the kids really don't want to take a break from playing for long, even at lunch time, so the pizza goes to waste and you end up feeding them again at home, anyway.  But of course, now that we geared it more towards the adults (there are going to be about 25 - ugh), we're ending up doing more work than had we just gone the usual route.  Oh, well.  I don't get out much anymore, and I don't have dinner parties so much as I used to - everyone with kids and other obligations, now - so what the heck.
No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 10:40:58 am »
Good luck with the Party Barb! Lat kids party I was at was my 9 year olds nieces in November - she had a fdry ski slope party - they all seemd to have good fun!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 12:01:41 pm »
I don't want to be a party-pooper but guess I will be. 

The reason I think many of the new people don't post here (maybe elsewhere on the board they do) is that they are looking for what we were all looking for when we FIRST saw Brokeback.  Soooo, neighborly chats about kids birthday parties is not fulfilling their needs at this time.  It's not that I think our 'family' chats shouldn't exist - just trying to explain what I think...(I needa cowboy w/ a hardhat on.   :P).
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 12:16:10 pm »
  It's not that I think our 'family' chats shouldn't exist - just trying to explain what I think...(I needa cowboy w/ a hardhat on.   :P).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess thats why we have the different sections - most people that are newbies seem to post in the open forum areas first and then graduate to the more chatty area. Maybe the pople who ahve been here a long time should make more of an affort to frequent the open area more - I admit to being bad for that.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 12:34:04 pm »
I guess thats why we have the different sections - most people that are newbies seem to post in the open forum areas first and then graduate to the more chatty area. Maybe the pople who ahve been here a long time should make more of an affort to frequent the open area more - I admit to being bad for that.

I agree. I've been here since April 2, and I go to the Open Forum all the time (I'd better, since I moderate it!  :laugh:) and am still very interested in discussing the things newbies tend to discuss. But I don't think we should refrain from discussing other things we feel like discussing out of fear it will turn off the newbies -- or anyone else, for that matter. There's something for everyone, and nobody is required to read things they aren't interested in.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 10:46:43 am »
Hi,

I just joined, its make's me sad to read this thread, I feel like I have missed out on so much fun (and sadness of course), I so wish that I got into this all so much soomer, you all seem so great!!!!! 
I actually was thinking about BBM all year and reading about but I didn't see it sooner, I don't know why.  I had no idea so much was going on here.

How many users did you used to have on at one time before?

I always feel like I miss out on things....

I hope this board does keep going...

marlb42

injest

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 10:56:26 am »
Hey Marl...don't worry! we are growing and thriving...glad to have you here...(be careful going into any thread started by David925 -trust me- unless you have had all your shots!!)  :laugh: :laugh:

LOVED your post about the different perspective!! got us all excited...I haven't teared up over the movie in a while!

Jess

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 11:11:19 am »

I know the feeling. I was a bit of a late-comer myself, I saw the movie two or three months later than most people here and I never was on the original Tremblay-board. Also I discovered BetterMost only a while later than most people here.
But this feeling will subside the more you participate here. Just jump in to whatever is to your likes. Don't be afraid to ask "silly" questions or things that may have been discussed before. We're a friendly bunch, we LOVE to discuss the movie and its impact on us to no end  ;D.

It will! And one reason for it are new people like you who bring in a fresh breeze and new POVs on well-known topics.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 12:53:17 pm »
I just joined, its make's me sad to read this thread, I feel like I have missed out on so much fun (and sadness of course), I so wish that I got into this all so much soomer, you all seem so great!!!!! 
I actually was thinking about BBM all year and reading about but I didn't see it sooner, I don't know why. 

Hey, welcome, marlb42! I'm so glad to see you over here. It's true, your post from imdb has generated lots of good discussion.

Also, keep in mind that there have been people filtering in here all along -- including quite a few in the past month or so, since BBM debuted on HBO. So some of us have been around quite a while, some for a matter of months, some for just weeks or even days. You'll fit right in.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 01:12:21 pm »
Hey, nice to see you here, marlb42!  Make yourself comfortable!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 04:34:58 pm »
Yes, Welcome marlb42! I'm an old-timer in cyber terms and I'm also one of the people who's spent a lot less time here of late than I used to. I think part of it is feeling less attached to Brokeback per se, now that it's been a full year since it all began. I am still quite interested in Jake, Heath, their families and their new roles, and will always love BBM but I don't need to talk about it the way I used to. Sometimes I miss those days of total obsession though.

I'm still glad and proud to be a member of this community though, and hope that lack of frequent posting does not count against me. I can be pretty busy and then pretty introverted alternately, and both take me away from here.

Again, welcome and do stick around.

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 05:39:30 pm »
Hi,

I actually was thinking about BBM all year and reading about but I didn't see it sooner, I don't know why.  I had no idea so much was going on here.

How many users did you used to have on at one time before?

marlb42

welsome - can't answer users question - but us regualrs will still be here and the board will continue - just at a slightly slower place - which is just as well for you as you wold have zero free time if it continued at its original pace!!!! Hope to speak soon.
x

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 09:35:52 pm »
I have also noticed the drop of posting around here. It makes me sad, even though I'm one of the guilty ones. I've found myself reading a lot more than posting lately. And of course real lives do get in the way sometimes (I just got back from a 5-day theatre festival - fun!  :)). I hope the decline doesn't continue too much!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 09:53:49 pm »
Hey Marl...don't worry! we are growing and thriving...glad to have you here...(be careful going into any thread started by David925 -trust me- unless you have had all your shots!!)  :laugh: :laugh:

LOVED your post about the different perspective!! got us all excited...I haven't teared up over the movie in a while!

Jess

tsk, tsk. I expected more from you Jess. Wait a minute. No I didn't.   ;)

Don't pay any attention to us Marl. Jess and I are great friends. And I agree with her. Bettermost is growing, and you didn't miss out on anything. Welcome! I'm looking forward to reading some of your posts in the near future!  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 11:40:45 pm »
Welcome  marlb42 ! I'll add my voice to the chorus of welcome-wagoners here.  I'll even offer up the traditional BetterMost welcome... Want a cup of coffee don't you and a piece of cherry cake?
 ;)

I'm an old-timer too.  I moved over here from imdb in early April upon the invitation of the lovely latjoreme (whom you've already met).  I'm quite a devotee of the Open Forum too and am always interested in the amazing and on-going levels of deep discussion that this one story/film can generate.  But, I'm now one of the co-moderators of the Social Events forum.  Venture on over to learn about some really exciting trips and get-togethers being planned.  And there are lots of fun threads with pictures of BetterMostians, etc.

It's always so exciting to me to see new members come in and start posting.  New opinions and new interpretations of the film/story are the life-blood of discussion boards like this, so it's wonderful to see you on board.  Don't be too worried about some of the concerns you might see in this thread.  Like all communities I think we're just evolving.  There are new little growing pains all the time.  But, my sense is that BetterMost is thriving and adding new members all the time.  So, have fun exploring the forums.  And, Open Forum is a good place to start for the deep discussions of the film.

Cheers and welcome again!

Amanda
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:29:55 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 01:15:15 am »
I have also noticed the drop of posting around here. It makes me sad, even though I'm one of the guilty ones. I've found myself reading a lot more than posting lately. And of course real lives do get in the way sometimes (I just got back from a 5-day theatre festival - fun!  :)). I hope the decline doesn't continue too much!

Court!!  I haven't seen you online in a dog's age!  :D
Hope life is good, mate.  :)

Hello marlb42! Welcome!  :) 

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 10:03:42 am »
Thank you all for your welcomes, I really do appreciate it.  I have really been enjoying traveling around this site.  I really have been enjoying reading all the things on the community threads, I had no idea that there were places like this on the internet, where really cool people get together and chat and meet and have fun.

Anyway, well you all seem like you know each other so, so well, I wouldn't want to seem like I am crashing the party...

Thanks again,

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 10:09:55 am »

Anyway, well you all seem like you know each other so, so well, I wouldn't want to seem like I am crashing the party...

Thanks again,

Never Marlb

The reason we know each other well is cos we just chat and talk and input little comments into peoples threads... you'll soon be one of the family -  join in the fun and get involved!

xx

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 10:55:11 am »
I agree. I've been here since April 2, and I go to the Open Forum all the time (I'd better, since I moderate it!  :laugh:) and am still very interested in discussing the things newbies tend to discuss.

"Good for you," Katherine.  ;)

No, seriously, I'm glad for you. Over this weekend I came reluctantly to the conclusion that I was tired of rehashing issues that I had thrashed out nearly a year ago--at the risk of sounding conceited, tired of repeating myself ad nauseum for the benefit of newbies. That statement looks awful and embarrassing in black and white, I know, and it sure didn't please me any to realize it, but I have to admit it's true. I'm not sure what the longterm implication of this will be. Maybe it will just pass.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 11:38:45 am »

No, seriously, I'm glad for you. Over this weekend I came reluctantly to the conclusion that I was tired of rehashing issues that I had thrashed out nearly a year ago--at the risk of sounding conceited, tired of repeating myself ad nauseum for the benefit of newbies. That statement looks awful and embarrassing in black and white, I know, and it sure didn't please me any to realize it, but I have to admit it's true. I'm not sure what the longterm implication of this will be. Maybe it will just pass.  :-\

Jeff you shouldn't feel badly about that.  It's actually a good sign.  I think we can all agree that BBM, for us Brokies (in all it's forms) is not so much an artistic achievement as it is a life experience.  Folks like you (and me to), have already done all that nasty hard work coming to terms with the themes and issues that it brought to the forefront of our lives.  I also, find it tiresome to re-hash the stuff we have already hashed within an inch of their lives.  I look at it this way:  We're just a lot further down the healing road.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 01:31:40 pm »
Over this weekend I came reluctantly to the conclusion that I was tired of rehashing issues that I had thrashed out nearly a year ago--at the risk of sounding conceited, tired of repeating myself ad nauseum for the benefit of newbies. That statement looks awful and embarrassing in black and white, I know, and it sure didn't please me any to realize it, but I have to admit it's true. I'm not sure what the longterm implication of this will be. Maybe it will just pass.  :-\

What's ironic is that last time I checked you were still a particularly active participant in those threads, Jeff! Especially lately, I've noticed, after your slight hiatus a couple of months ago. Which is wonderful; your contributions are always intelligent and insightful and much appreciated.  :)

We all have our saturation points. I'll admit I'm not thrilled, either, with rehashing issues that I first hashed months and months ago. Despite what I said above, I'm not fond of repeating myself over and over (even though I sometimes do). There are topics I wouldn't revisit at this point: Sorry or S'alright? How did Jack die? and many more. Luckily, there are newer people, people who just saw the movie for the first time on HBO, to whom those topics are fresh and who are dying to discuss them. Those people are welcomed and encouraged -- that's what that forum is for, and I can't imagine where I hadn't had access to those conversations over the past year.

I don't think anyone should feel obliged to act as a big brother/sister and repeat things for the millionth time for the benefit of enlightening newbies. First of all, anything that's been said before is available to those interested in perusing the old threads, many of which are still being bumped. Second, part of the fun of understanding the movie is working out these things for yourself. I'm sure there are many insightful people among the HBO watchers, too.

But I remain interested in hashing out new things as long as there are any. Believe it or not, there are still depths to the movie and/or story that have not been plumbed ad nauseum. For instance, I was recently in a PM discussion with someone who had mapped out the metal imagery in the story. The explanation was complicated, but basically it revolved around the metals hangers that hold Jack and Ennis together and the tire iron that threatens them. There were lots of examples and I'm not sure I fully understood everything, but it was interesting.

And marlb42's post reminds us that even after all this time it's possible to see the movie in fresh, new, yet perfectly valid ways. And those opinions can generate good discussion, too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 01:50:44 pm »
Scott and Katherine,

Thanks for those posts, Friends. If I'm not yet necessarily feeling "better," at least you guys have reassured me that I'm not completely unique in at least some of what I'm experiencing right now.

Much obliged!  :D

J.W.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 01:53:44 pm »
Scott and Katherine,

Thanks for those posts, Friends. If I'm not yet necessarily feeling "better," at least you guys have reassured me that I'm not completely unique in at least some of what I'm experiencing right now.

Much obliged!  :D

J.W.

Ok...let me commit sacrilege here.  The last time I watched the movie...last Summer...ok get the blow guns out...I shut it off half way through...I was....ok ready set blow...bored.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 02:10:41 pm »

Oh, goody. I've been waiting for this moment to bring out my Jack-was-a-top-at-the-Siesta-Motel argument, just waiting for you to run out of steam!!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 02:50:19 pm »
Ok...let me commit sacrilege here.  The last time I watched the movie...last Summer...ok get the blow guns out...I shut it off half way through...I was....ok ready set blow...bored.

Scott you won't get a blow that easily!!

Scott6373

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 02:51:47 pm »
Scott you won't get a blow that easily!!

What?  Huh??  Where's Eric?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 03:09:59 pm »
Oh, goody. I've been waiting for this moment to bring out my Jack-was-a-top-at-the-Siesta-Motel argument, just waiting for you to run out of steam!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scott, I won't shoot you. I'm really careful about how often I watch it, because I'm worried about that happening to me.

Again, we all have our different saturation points. I've seen it 17 times and am worried about getting bored, but I know people who watched it well over 100 times without that happening. I, on the other hand, have spent hour on hour here discussing it, and some people people got sick of doing that months ago.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 04:57:13 pm »
And then there's me.  I've seen it about 25 times and spent hour upon hour discussing it here, and I'm not even close to being tired of either!

<--- has taken obsession to a whole new level

No more beans!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2007, 05:02:36 pm »
And then there's me.  I've seen it about 25 times and spent hour upon hour discussing it here, and I'm not even close to being tired of either!

I am so glad, so that there are some 'old-timers' here to talk to us newcomers!!!

Scott6373

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 05:17:42 pm »
I am so glad, so that there are some 'old-timers' here to talk to us newcomers!!!

And it's good to have some fresh perspective

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

Yes, indeed.  And I for one never get tired of forcing my perspective of it upon (I mean sharing my perspective of it with) the newbies!  :)

Welcome, marlb42, if I haven't said so already!  Like Scott said, I'm always happy to see new folks with new perspectives on it here.  And I really don't mind answering the same questions I've answered before, because we all had them once, too.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 07:38:57 pm »

Little Darlin', you want a believe Jack Twist was a top, and Ennis Del Mar took "it" up the you-know-where, you go right ahead. Ain't gonna bother me none.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2007, 01:47:16 am »
I think Katherine's use of the phrase "saturation point" is a good one.  I became a Brokie in October 2005, and since then I've had waves of of what I focus on, and kinda focus on, don't focus on, and refocus on.

In late summer I actually didn't visit the Open Forum for a couple of months.  I just didn't have it in me, for whatever reason, to do the analysis.  And there was some really great analysis going on then, and I knew it, but couldn't jump in.  Over the last month or so I've been enjoying some of those threads I never read.

Some people seem to reach saturation, and just leave, either loudly or silently.  So far, I reach saturation, and I goof around for a while.  So far BetterMost has been able to provide me with enough variety of experiences that I can analyze or not and still have a good time.

As for Our Duty to Those Who Have Come After Us, I think the same applies.  I am delighted the new folk are here and participating.  If I come on here tomorrow and the top threads are all like "What did Ennis say at the end?" and "Did you catch the moustache continuity error on Jack?" that'll be okay.  And I won't feel the need to be the one to "explain" anything, and I bet someone else will.  The post that made me think the most this week was by a newbie, marlb42.  Thanks.  :)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 01:59:18 am »
It is strange, but after my book, I have done little analysis. The only thing I am continually going over in my mind is how similar TS2 is to the second chapter of Dark Night of the Soul and what that means. There are certain things that this film led me to look at in more detail than I would have ever thought that I would want to. I am glad now that I have followed the paths of consciousness the film led me down, but I cannot find it in my heart to go back up to the top and find new ones. Sometimes people ask me what I think a certain scene means, and in correlation with the remaining themes that I've discovered: Love, Beauty, Truth, Wisdom, Spiritual Communion, Redemption.... Eros, Thanatos, Happiness, Individuality, Sexuality... These are the broad and narrow themes that I can find recurring over and over again in various scenes... Once we've discovered it once then, haven't we explored it already.

I think we have much to thank from Casey Cornelius's work in bringing classical symbols to the forefront. The Aeneid, in the few years after it came out, was heralded by the Roman Republic as a vast and important work, and many believed it to be so, and had deep emotional connections with it. Within a few years, this emotional connection had faded somewhat as the people of the Roman Republic (now bound together in the spiritual focus of their people, the fate of the Roman Empire, as made clear by the Aeneid) went about their daily lives. In fact, it was really only preserved completely in the temples and governmental institutions of the day, since it was their powers that the text legitimized.

The point that I am making is that it may be that each generation can only deeply become imbedded in a subject once before finding their way out again, their lives being made better by the experience. Future generations will discover its meanings and discuss them much the same as we have today and future lives will be vastly improved, and there is great hope and joy in that thought.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:04:04 am by Daniel »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 02:35:00 am »
Malina, who is a member here but more active on imdb, posted something there comparing Brokieism to religious faith. I wish I could find it, because I'm sure I can't put it as well as she did, but of course you can't search the boards at imdb ...   :-X Anyway, as with religion, people tend to get very passionate and excited and intent on talking about it when they first discover it, but as they go along they gradually internalize it and, while they may not discuss it as much or even think about it as constantly, it becomes a permanent part of their outlook, a lens through which they view the world.

So far BetterMost has been able to provide me with enough variety of experiences that I can analyze or not and still have a good time.

Very good point. There are all kinds of fascinating discussions going on here, many of them not about the movie, many the sort that I probably would find nowhere else but here.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2007, 10:07:28 am »
I've seen it 17 times and am worried about getting bored, but I know people who watched it well over 100 times without that happening.

At least, thank God, I'm not bored with the film. Of course, I don't watch it that often, which might have something to do with not being bored--or not--because it seems I rarely have a block of more than two hours of time to sit down and watch anything anymore without having to multitask--and I will not multitask when I'm watching Brokeback Mountain--that would be like hammerin' on a cell phone in church.

But these days when I do watch, like this past Sunday evening, there are no more tears, there is no more angst. The film now has the familiarity of a beloved friend, and I just sit quietly, suffused with pleasure at the beauty of it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 12:19:46 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2007, 12:15:53 pm »
At least, thank God, I'm not bored with the film. Of course, I don't watch it that often, which might have something to do with not being bored--or not--because it seems I rarely have a block of more than two hours of time to sit down and watch anything anymore without having to multitask--and I will not multitask when I'm watching Brokeback Mountain--that would be like hammerin' on a cell phone in church.

But these days when I do watch, like this past Sunday eveing, there are no more tears, there is no more angst. The film now has the familiarity of a beloved friend, and I just sit quietly, suffused with pleasure at the beauty of it.

Beautifully put, Jeff.  That's how it is for me, too.  And I find I have to be careful about turning on HBO when I notice that the film is playing, because there's no way I can bring myself to turn it off and do something--anything--else. 

In a similar way, I have to be careful about visiting BetterMost.  It's hard to stop until I've caught up with all my threads and seen what my buds are up to.  Phillip in his wisdom has made this a place that's gone beyond the film to become a kind of warm social club that has no exclusions and no limits.  I treasure it, and I hope all the newbies come to appreciate that aspect of it, too, as they get used to posting and moving around through the forums.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2007, 02:35:55 pm »
I will not multitask when I'm watching Brokeback Mountain--that would be like hammerin' on a cell phone in church.

Me neither. In fact, I wait until I'm alone in the house, tilt the TV so there's no window glare, position the chair right in front of the screen, stock up on beverages and hit PLAY. I don't even like to pause it, if I can help it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2007, 02:39:28 pm »
Me neither. In fact, I wait until I'm alone in the house, tilt the TV so there's no window glare, position the chair right in front of the screen, stock up on beverages and hit PLAY. I don't even like to pause it, if I can help it.

With you right there, Katherine! I make sure I "go" before I hit PLAY!  ;D

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2007, 03:02:29 pm »
Malina, who is a member here but more active on imdb, posted something there comparing Brokieism to religious faith. I wish I could find it, because I'm sure I can't put it as well as she did, but of course you can't search the boards at imdb ...   :-X Anyway, as with religion, people tend to get very passionate and excited and intent on talking about it when they first discover it, but as they go along they gradually internalize it and, while they may not discuss it as much or even think about it as constantly, it becomes a permanent part of their outlook, a lens through which they view the world.

Very good point. There are all kinds of fascinating discussions going on here, many of them not about the movie, many the sort that I probably would find nowhere else but here.

I also have subscribed to the idea that Brokism (Don't think its Brokieism, lol) is a religious faith. My threads Daily Meditations and Strange Connections (not to mention Spiritual Nonsense) have fully explored just about every spiritual topic that is laid out by the film. I have much still to discover, but I have become more placid in my faith than excited. There are still times when that excitement returns, and every day I make some confirmation, even if it is a small one and if I do not participate in the boards on that day. I am currently trying to write a journal which allows me some daily interaction and memory of the truly spiritual moments (any of them) from the film "The Memoirs of a Brokeback Mountain Priest" - You can read some of this on my thread Strange Connections in the personal blog section.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2007, 03:10:19 pm »
With you right there, Katherine! I make sure I "go" before I hit PLAY!  ;D

I was going to add that, but was afraid that might be too much information. Apparently not, for this crowd!  ;D

I have become more placid in my faith than excited. There are still times when that excitement returns, and every day I make some confirmation, even if it is a small one and if I do not participate in the boards on that day.

Good way to put it, Daniel. And I like the idea of the daily confirmation.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2007, 03:31:38 pm »
I was going to add that, but was afraid that might be too much information. Apparently not, for this crowd!  ;D

Not for a group that, apparently, is going to be viewing the film at the YMCA camp in building called "the Dick Hall."  :o  ;D

And at least we're not using the sink. ...  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2007, 04:00:16 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good point! Besides, it's always so awkward hoisting myself up there ... Uh-oh, now I've crossed into TMI!  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2007, 04:05:57 pm »
Not for a group that, apparently, is going to be viewing the film at the YMCA camp in building called "the Dick Hall."  :o  ;D

Jeff, you crack me up here. Dick Hall, lol ...and not into the sink *chuckle*

But yes, I'm in your and Katherine's team. I also only watch it when I'm alone, respectively when all other family members are sleeping.
I switch off all lamps, so there's no other light than the screen and have hankys ready. Nothing else, no food, no beverages. And yes, I "go" too before starting the movie.
The very first time I saw it in theatre, a had to "go" for the last half hour of the movie, but didn't want to.  I made it through the movie, but was the first to jump up when the credits began to roll. What a sacrileg. Hope our High Priestess doesn't read this  ;).

I'm also careful not to watch it too often. In fact, I plan not to watch it again before March, 21st (our anniversary).
What I have noticed for me, is that now I'm able to insert the DVD and only check a specific scene (ot two) for research puposes (although last week I ended up watching their whole summer on Brokeback). The first months I couldn't do that. It felt wrong, like a sacrileg (don't laugh, that's the best description I have).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2007, 04:21:30 pm »
The first months I couldn't do that. It felt wrong, like a sacrileg (don't laugh, that's the best description I have).

I wouldn't laugh at that. I understand. At first I didn't want to watch just a part of the film. But now, this Saturday night, I just watched it through Ennis's dry heaves--managed to stop it just before the beginning of the Lord's Prayer voiceover.

Generally, except to watch a film, I can't work that DVD player worth a damn. Pretty good with the PLAY and STOP buttons on the remote, though.  ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:48 pm »
I saw BBM so many times in the theatres that the people working there not only recognised me but started finishing my sentences ..  ;D
I am far from bored with watching the movie because even though I saw it countless times in the theatre, after I got the DVD, I don't watch it so often.  Now I only do so once a month and it is exciting every time.  I still get my J&E therapy the rest of the time by doing fanart or writing alittle poetry and it is working for me just now. :)  Nothing beats the BBM theatre experience though!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2007, 06:19:42 pm »
What beautiful thoughts you are all writing here.   I wanted to give you a newbies perspective on this forum so far and BBM.

I sort of feel like I want to explain why I came so late to BBM and this forum, because I wish so much I was here so much sooner.  I really am not a newbie in spirit even though I just saw it first a month ago on HBO.  I am not a theater goer (I wait till movies are on cable so I can watch them  late at night with no distractions) but when I started seeing the trailers and reading about BBM I knew that I would love it.  I saved every review from every newspaper in my area the day it came out and I read and watched everthing about it. I was so upset when it didn't win best picture even though I hadn't seen it yet.  I was going to see it in the theater last February when I was on vacation , but I didn't and I don't know why.  I really don't and I so regret it now, not having the experience of seeing it in the theater for the first time.  That is driving me crazy now.
 I did think about BBM all year though and I don't know why I was so passive to wait till it was right in front of me on tv.  Maybe I was afraid of being disappointed but probably I knew that I would get obsessed and I was in the first year of a new career and I don't think I could have handled both last year.  Of course now I can say nothing else ever affected me so much.

I have never been on a forum before and spending a lot of time here the past few days I already know how special  and wonderful it is and I so wish I was here sooner.
 I think I know why it is so great and why it will and should continue beyond just BBM discussion

Phillip in his wisdom has made this a place that's gone beyond the film to become a kind of warm social club that has no exclusions and no limits.  I treasure it, and I hope all the newbies come to appreciate that aspect of it, too, as they get used to posting and moving around through the forums. 

So true,

A long time ago in the 80's when I was a totally sheltered and not very worldly young girl just out of college I got a job in a store in Greenwich Villiage because I was totally into new- wave and punk music and I wanted to be around that atmosphere.  I only stayed there for about four months till I was basically forced to go to grad school, but those were the best months and best time of my life.  In that store the people who worked there were a total mix of men and women, both gay and straight, but everyone was open minded, tolerant of all others and non judgemental of anyone as long as one was tolerant of them.  I never before and never since felt so totally accepted by by a group of people as I did then.

That is what makes this forum so great, at least in my life I do not encounter such a great mix of people, who at least in my experience, do not normally get together.  But BBM has brought together a mix of people who are nonjudgemental, not petty, and are so accepting of others.   I hope that  I am expressing myself in a way that makes sense.  I just wanted to explain it, and I do so wish I had joined this little world sooner because I can tell it truly is  wonderful. 

I hope I am making sense to you.

(And as a newbie, if any of you ever still want to discuss why TS2 is the most increible few minutes of film ever, well here I am)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:54:05 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2007, 06:42:45 pm »

I hope that  I am expressing myself  in a way that makes sense.  I just wanted to explain it, and I do so wish I had joined this little world sooner because I can tell it truly is  wonderful. 

I hope I am making sense to you.

You are, very much so, I hope to see lots and lots and lots more of you!
xxx

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2007, 06:57:06 pm »
Fast or slow, marlb45, I just like the direction you're goin!! Shall we chat sometime?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2007, 07:03:11 pm »
That is what makes this forum so great, at least in my life I do not encounter such a great mix of people, who at least in my experience, do not normally get together.  But BBM has brought together a mix of people who are nonjudgemental, not petty, and are so accepting of others.   I hope that  I am expressing myself in a way that makes sense.  I just wanted to explain it, and I do so wish I had joined this little world sooner because I can tell it truly is  wonderful.

Marlb, clearly you were always meant to be here; you were just one of those sheep that lingered in the fold, not sure about heading up the mountain.  Now that you're up in the high pastures, though, ain't the grazing fine?  8)

So glad you came our way.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2007, 11:08:10 pm »

marlb45, that was such a great post!  You seem to be exhibiting some of the classic symptoms of Brokie-fever!  So, welcome to our little club.  We're glad you found your way here.

I wait until I'm alone in the house, tilt the TV so there's no window glare

:o :o :o  I'm really wierd when it comes to glare on the TV whilst watching Brokeback too!  I thought I was the only one. I almost always watch it at night because it's almost impossible to avoid the glare in my apartment during the day.

About the crying/ not-crying topic.  Well,  I'll admit I can watch it now without crying and that certainly depends on my mood.  But the flashback still has quite the power to make me cry, even after all this time.  The music on the soundtrack that I know goes along with the flashback almost kills me everytime. 

I wonder what my reaction to the film would be in a room full of Brokies watching together.  Would we all start a chain reaction and cause one another to start weeping?   :'(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:14:02 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2007, 11:55:06 pm »
I wonder what my reaction to the film would be in a room full of Brokies watching together.  Would we all start a chain reaction and cause one another to start weeping?   :'(

I suspect it would depend on who was there, and how they were behaving. And how much whiskey was being passed back and forth. And whether anyone brings up subjects like logs or counting how many times Jack swears or anything inappropriate.

My experience has been that groups of fans tend to be less reverent when they watch a movie together than when they watch it separately.

(Hi, marlb42! Nice threads in the Open Forum. :) There's one thread in the Open Forum on "why are we like this" - I'm not sure if it's been bumped lately. But somebody suggested that we only get obsessed with BBM if something in our lives is ready for it. So maybe a year ago just wasn't the right time for you to deal with BBM. But you're here now. :) )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2007, 03:06:38 am »

I'm with Mel on this -- I think we'd be less likely to cry all together than to cry separately. We'd look around and see how funny we looked (not that BBM isn't tragic, but you know what I mean ...) and that would be enough to stop the tears.

Here's one for you. I was crying this morning, in my car, after dropping off my son at school. Just about some things going on, don't bother comforting me because that's not the point of the story. Anyway, I stop at a stoplight and look into my rearview mirror, and who do I see driving the car behind me but Jake Gyllenhaal's second cousin.

Yes. Jake's second cousin is the dad of a kid at my son's school. I found that out the day I was introduced to him.  I heard his last name, and of course I asked if he was a relation, and he was. Something in his demeanor kept me from launching into a passionate Brokeback discussion. We're casual acquaintances now, and I can tell you that the man is nothing like Jake (possibly a faint family resemblance around the eyes -- same with Anders Gyllenhaal, Jake's uncle, who was editor of the Minneapolis paper when I lived in Minneapolis).

I took Jake's second cousin's presence as some kind of weird sign of ... I don't know, hope? absurdity? Something. Whatever the case, that odd encounter made me stop crying and cleared up my mood!

:D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2007, 11:33:37 am »

Well, I had the chance to watch the film in a room full of Brokies in Boston back in September. I wouldn't call it a chain reaction, but there was quite a lot of weeping at the end, I can tell you that.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2007, 04:34:46 pm »

What?  Jeff, didn't you get the memo?  I've been using the sink exclusively since I first read BBM.  I'm pretty sure most of us are. 

Aren't we?

;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2007, 04:54:24 pm »
What?  Jeff, didn't you get the memo?  I've been using the sink exclusively since I first read BBM.  I'm pretty sure most of us are. 

Aren't we?

;)

;D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2007, 05:05:13 pm »
The toilets in our car went down on my Canadian train adventure (the tank froze), and so we pee'd down the sink..   I felt so Ennis-y!  :D  :D

Scott6373

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007, 05:08:29 pm »
That's great for you tall guys...we shorties have find a stool or a willing man with a strong back

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2007, 05:13:05 pm »
That's great for you tall guys...we shorties have find a stool or a willing man with a strong back

Gee, Scott, you look tall in your pi'ture.  ???

Scott6373

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2007, 05:16:23 pm »
nope...bout belt high...lol...5'8

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2007, 05:27:11 pm »

If Clarissa can manage, you should be able too  ;D
It takes some sacrifice to be a devoted Brokie.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2007, 05:44:05 pm »
You guys are cracking me up!  ;D

I can't say that I have done it sink-wise *yet* but I am sure I would've already done so, if I had the right particulars .. lol  :P

Scott6373

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2007, 05:45:37 pm »
If Clarissa can manage, you should be able too  ;D
It takes some sacrifice to be a devoted Brokie.

The peeing in a sink thing must have been in VERY small print on the application.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2007, 05:46:49 pm »
The peeing in a sink thing must have been in VERY small print on the application.

tsk tsk Scott..
Didn't your Momma tell you?  ALWAYS read the fineprint!   ;D

Scott6373

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2007, 05:49:01 pm »
tsk tsk Scott..
Didn't your Momma tell you?  ALWAYS read the fineprint!   ;D

She did, and I thought I had...so...in the true spirit of  communion...I go now to pee in my sink...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2007, 05:50:23 pm »
 :laugh:

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2007, 06:05:10 pm »

Really, Scott, really???

I sometimes watch only little bits... but I don't really think I'm bored.  I have fallen asleep while watching it... but not cause of boredom, just tiredness...

::)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2007, 06:08:11 pm »

But these days when I do watch, like this past Sunday evening, there are no more tears, there is no more angst. The film now has the familiarity of a beloved friend, and I just sit quietly, suffused with pleasure at the beauty of it.

I feel that way about the soundtrack...
 :)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2007, 07:32:18 pm »
nope...bout belt high...lol...5'8

Five-foot-eight? Tell you what, then, you're taller than I am. I'm lucky to make 5'6" in my cowboy boots.

You want a lift me up so's I can reach the sink?  ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2007, 07:52:05 pm »
Brokie, coming thru..!
Can someone point me to the nearest sink, please?

(Sorry, I can't shake the silly mood I'm in ..lol :P )

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2007, 07:53:55 pm »
If we could all step back a couple of topics for just a second, back past the how tall are we (altho that's fascinating) and the peeing in the sink (I love Brokies!) I would like to talk about the only two times I have gotten to see BBM with other Brokies. The first was when I watched at home while chatting with several BetterMostians. I learned that I really do need to get to know my DVD player a lot better in order to do this successfully! But I also was like a kid in a candy store, pointing to my favorite things: look there's the hatchet, the saw, the sign of the eagle, Ennis whistling, the vacuum cleaner, the little boy with glasses...and on and on! The second time I watched BBM with another Brokie was in the Log Cabin Motel in Ten Sleep, Wyoming, and that was a memorable experience to say the least...a transcendent experience!! I hope that won't be the last time. . .

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2007, 08:19:29 pm »
If we could all step back a couple of topics for just a second, back past the how tall are we (altho that's fascinating) and the peeing in the sink (I love Brokies!) I would like to talk about the only two times I have gotten to see BBM with other Brokies.

Ok, silliness over ..

I have never gotten the opportunity to watch BBM with Brokies.  Hopefully some day soon!
I saw BBM in theatres with friends a few times, but they forgot all about it afterwards and were not really interested in going on about it.
Some of my best viewings have been solo ones .. although watching it with fellow brokies might just top those experiences.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2007, 08:39:53 pm »
You all are invited to Bay City Michigan for the screening...  :D

It's going to be an event not to be missed.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2007, 10:04:47 pm »
Ok, silliness over ..

I have never gotten the opportunity to watch BBM with Brokies.  Hopefully some day soon!
I saw BBM in theatres with friends a few times, but they forgot all about it afterwards and were not really interested in going on about it.
Some of my best viewings have been solo ones .. although watching it with fellow brokies might just top those experiences.

I think there's a lot to be said for both. I love being able to commune with Ennis and Jack in the privacy of my own home--it's like keeping a jewel of great price all to myself!--but there is undoubtedly something very special about getting to watch the film with others who love it as much as you do.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2007, 08:21:18 am »
Brokie, coming thru..!
Can someone point me to the nearest sink, please?

(Sorry, I can't shake the silly mood I'm in ..lol :P )

ROFL!  But where's his hat?  :)

Re seeing BBM with and without fellows  - alone for sure beats seeing it with just any old person.  Most of my theater experiences were alone.  I think 5 times I took someone, and though each of them liked it, they just, you know, liked it.

I got to see it at the Aero with a theater full, including some precious Brokie buddies, and I got to go to the Castro, which in its way was even more exciting, because a lot of the people there did seem to come to SF especially for it, and also because it was with Brokie buds.  (I sat in the 2nd row with Melinda sashca and sfericsf, who are super-lovely people.  And then I got to be part of the recent chat, which was cool too, with more wonderful Brokie buds.  Oh, and what feels like a really long time ago i saw it in the theater here in Seattle with silkncense and uberlibran, which was great too.

I want to do more chat viewings.  I thought that went really well, though, IMO, once we start the film, we shouldn't pause it, as we so thoughtfully did so many times the other night.  Or maybe have a pre-agreed-upon sink-break pause or sumpn.

Anyway, the chat was very fun, because it was okay to "talk" during it, unlike the theater experiences.  We were deliberately watching it TO talk about what we were seeing.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2007, 08:26:20 am »
That sounds fun Clarissa - once my wireless broadband goes in  - i can use our new laptop to chatand can also watch the film on DVD at the same time. Roll on 8 February!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2007, 10:06:52 am »
Re seeing BBM with and without fellows  - alone for sure beats seeing it with just any old person.

Amen to that. Alone also beats a theater full of insensitive dweebs who laugh in inappropriate places, make audible snide comments, talk on cell phones, ... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the direction I'm goin'.

Scott6373

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2007, 01:47:59 pm »
Really, Scott, really???

I sometimes watch only little bits... but I don't really think I'm bored.  I have fallen asleep while watching it... but not cause of boredom, just tiredness...

::)

Yes darlin' really

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2007, 02:01:46 pm »
Amen to that. Alone also beats a theater full of insensitive dweebs who laugh in inappropriate places, make audible snide comments, talk on cell phones, ... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the direction I'm goin'.

Really? That sounds awful  :( I only saw the movie once on my own in the cinema. I thought that was a bit spooky really, being there all by myself...
The other times i saw it, there were always other people there, mosty straight couples  ???, but everyone was very well behaved. One time a man actually came over to me after the movie had finished and asked me if i was alright. I guess he couldn't stand the sight of me sobbing.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2007, 02:10:05 pm »
I had one very interesting BBM theatre experience:

There were these two friends sitting infront of me .. 2 young women.  They were into the film, I could tell they were liking it.  Then during the Confrontation at the Lake scene, one of them starting crying (very loudly too).  Her friend took her outside for a moment because she seemed to be having problems breathing.  After a few moments, they came back in, but we know what happens after the lake scene, Ennis getting the postcard and all.  Well she basically lost it then, she was hysterical.  Some people around us were angry she was crying so loud, but I felt so bad for her ..  Anyway, she managaed to make it through the last moments of the film.  Later, after the show, I found her, red-faced, tears streaming down her face, falling apart in the ladies' room ..  It was incredible to see someone so touched by the movie.  I managed to talk to her for abit .. she said she would love to see the film again, but didn't think she could make it through another viewing without falling apart.  It was all very moving.  That was one viewing I didn't soon forget.   :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:12:56 pm by Lucise »

Scott6373

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2007, 02:16:37 pm »
The second time I went to the film was the time I sneaked out of work early to drive to Harvard Square in Cambridge , Ma (which is the only place that was showing it at the time).  I watched the film and had the expected second viewing response...just devastation, but when the lights came up and folks (not too many) were standing and leaving, there was one guy in like the third row, who was just sitting bent over, his head in his hands.  You could tell he was weeping, and he was all alone.  I wanted to go to him, but, hey...it's 2005...Boston...he woulda thought I was mugging him...but I've often thought about him, and what brought him to that point in his life..to that theater, and what caused that reaction for him.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2007, 02:29:09 pm »
Agreed Scott.

It was very moving to see people struggling through their private pains as they watched the movie or in the moments afterwards.  I never left right after the show, I always sat there and listened to Willie's "He was a friend of mine" and Rufus' "Maker makes" .. so I got to see people sit there with all kinds of reactions and expressions on their faces.

There was an older man who watched the movie almost as many times as I did .. I know this because he was there at quite a few of my viewings.  We silently recognised each other every time .. he always came alone, would sit off in a corner by himself and stay after the show.  I could  tell he had his own private "Brokeback Mountain" he was dealing with.  I wanted to talk to him a coupla times but chickened out because he always looked like he wanted to be left alone .. very Ennis-like he seemed.  :)

Scott6373

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2007, 02:32:11 pm »
.. very Ennis-like he seemed.  :)

And isn't that where Annie started this whole thing

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2007, 06:37:43 pm »

There was an older man who watched the movie almost as many times as I did .. I know this because he was there at quite a few of my viewings.  We silently recognised each other every time .. he always came alone, would sit off in a corner by himself and stay after the show.  I could  tell he had his own private "Brokeback Mountain" he was dealing with.  I wanted to talk to him a coupla times but chickened out because he always looked like he wanted to be left alone .. very Ennis-like he seemed.  :)

See now, reading this made me tear up, Milli.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2007, 10:12:01 am »
See now, reading this made me tear up, Milli.

Yeah Milli & Scott's stories did make me tear up...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2007, 12:58:58 pm »
Yeah Milli & Scott's stories did make me tear up...

Yeah, no matter what people say .. there is no denying the effect this movie had/is having on people all over the world.

I used to go onto the movie's site: (http://www.brokebackmountainmovie.com) to read some of the stories people from all over the world have shared on there.  Some of them are so very sad and so very moving ..

I sometimes wonder if Annie really grasps the magnitude of what she started ..  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2007, 02:17:22 pm »

I sometimes wonder if Annie really grasps the magnitude of what she started .. 

That's such a powerful statement it bears repeating.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2007, 02:23:07 pm »
I sometimes wonder if Annie really grasps the magnitude of what she started ..  :)

Very perceptive, Milli. Ya do have to wonder.