Author Topic: It's happening ..  (Read 30871 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: It's happening ..
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2007, 02:39:28 pm »
Me neither. In fact, I wait until I'm alone in the house, tilt the TV so there's no window glare, position the chair right in front of the screen, stock up on beverages and hit PLAY. I don't even like to pause it, if I can help it.

With you right there, Katherine! I make sure I "go" before I hit PLAY!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2007, 03:02:29 pm »
Malina, who is a member here but more active on imdb, posted something there comparing Brokieism to religious faith. I wish I could find it, because I'm sure I can't put it as well as she did, but of course you can't search the boards at imdb ...   :-X Anyway, as with religion, people tend to get very passionate and excited and intent on talking about it when they first discover it, but as they go along they gradually internalize it and, while they may not discuss it as much or even think about it as constantly, it becomes a permanent part of their outlook, a lens through which they view the world.

Very good point. There are all kinds of fascinating discussions going on here, many of them not about the movie, many the sort that I probably would find nowhere else but here.

I also have subscribed to the idea that Brokism (Don't think its Brokieism, lol) is a religious faith. My threads Daily Meditations and Strange Connections (not to mention Spiritual Nonsense) have fully explored just about every spiritual topic that is laid out by the film. I have much still to discover, but I have become more placid in my faith than excited. There are still times when that excitement returns, and every day I make some confirmation, even if it is a small one and if I do not participate in the boards on that day. I am currently trying to write a journal which allows me some daily interaction and memory of the truly spiritual moments (any of them) from the film "The Memoirs of a Brokeback Mountain Priest" - You can read some of this on my thread Strange Connections in the personal blog section.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2007, 03:10:19 pm »
With you right there, Katherine! I make sure I "go" before I hit PLAY!  ;D

I was going to add that, but was afraid that might be too much information. Apparently not, for this crowd!  ;D

I have become more placid in my faith than excited. There are still times when that excitement returns, and every day I make some confirmation, even if it is a small one and if I do not participate in the boards on that day.

Good way to put it, Daniel. And I like the idea of the daily confirmation.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2007, 03:31:38 pm »
I was going to add that, but was afraid that might be too much information. Apparently not, for this crowd!  ;D

Not for a group that, apparently, is going to be viewing the film at the YMCA camp in building called "the Dick Hall."  :o  ;D

And at least we're not using the sink. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2007, 04:00:16 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good point! Besides, it's always so awkward hoisting myself up there ... Uh-oh, now I've crossed into TMI!  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2007, 04:05:57 pm »
Not for a group that, apparently, is going to be viewing the film at the YMCA camp in building called "the Dick Hall."  :o  ;D

Jeff, you crack me up here. Dick Hall, lol ...and not into the sink *chuckle*

But yes, I'm in your and Katherine's team. I also only watch it when I'm alone, respectively when all other family members are sleeping.
I switch off all lamps, so there's no other light than the screen and have hankys ready. Nothing else, no food, no beverages. And yes, I "go" too before starting the movie.
The very first time I saw it in theatre, a had to "go" for the last half hour of the movie, but didn't want to.  I made it through the movie, but was the first to jump up when the credits began to roll. What a sacrileg. Hope our High Priestess doesn't read this  ;).

I'm also careful not to watch it too often. In fact, I plan not to watch it again before March, 21st (our anniversary).
What I have noticed for me, is that now I'm able to insert the DVD and only check a specific scene (ot two) for research puposes (although last week I ended up watching their whole summer on Brokeback). The first months I couldn't do that. It felt wrong, like a sacrileg (don't laugh, that's the best description I have).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2007, 04:21:30 pm »
The first months I couldn't do that. It felt wrong, like a sacrileg (don't laugh, that's the best description I have).

I wouldn't laugh at that. I understand. At first I didn't want to watch just a part of the film. But now, this Saturday night, I just watched it through Ennis's dry heaves--managed to stop it just before the beginning of the Lord's Prayer voiceover.

Generally, except to watch a film, I can't work that DVD player worth a damn. Pretty good with the PLAY and STOP buttons on the remote, though.  ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:48 pm »
I saw BBM so many times in the theatres that the people working there not only recognised me but started finishing my sentences ..  ;D
I am far from bored with watching the movie because even though I saw it countless times in the theatre, after I got the DVD, I don't watch it so often.  Now I only do so once a month and it is exciting every time.  I still get my J&E therapy the rest of the time by doing fanart or writing alittle poetry and it is working for me just now. :)  Nothing beats the BBM theatre experience though!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2007, 06:19:42 pm »
What beautiful thoughts you are all writing here.   I wanted to give you a newbies perspective on this forum so far and BBM.

I sort of feel like I want to explain why I came so late to BBM and this forum, because I wish so much I was here so much sooner.  I really am not a newbie in spirit even though I just saw it first a month ago on HBO.  I am not a theater goer (I wait till movies are on cable so I can watch them  late at night with no distractions) but when I started seeing the trailers and reading about BBM I knew that I would love it.  I saved every review from every newspaper in my area the day it came out and I read and watched everthing about it. I was so upset when it didn't win best picture even though I hadn't seen it yet.  I was going to see it in the theater last February when I was on vacation , but I didn't and I don't know why.  I really don't and I so regret it now, not having the experience of seeing it in the theater for the first time.  That is driving me crazy now.
 I did think about BBM all year though and I don't know why I was so passive to wait till it was right in front of me on tv.  Maybe I was afraid of being disappointed but probably I knew that I would get obsessed and I was in the first year of a new career and I don't think I could have handled both last year.  Of course now I can say nothing else ever affected me so much.

I have never been on a forum before and spending a lot of time here the past few days I already know how special  and wonderful it is and I so wish I was here sooner.
 I think I know why it is so great and why it will and should continue beyond just BBM discussion

Phillip in his wisdom has made this a place that's gone beyond the film to become a kind of warm social club that has no exclusions and no limits.  I treasure it, and I hope all the newbies come to appreciate that aspect of it, too, as they get used to posting and moving around through the forums. 

So true,

A long time ago in the 80's when I was a totally sheltered and not very worldly young girl just out of college I got a job in a store in Greenwich Villiage because I was totally into new- wave and punk music and I wanted to be around that atmosphere.  I only stayed there for about four months till I was basically forced to go to grad school, but those were the best months and best time of my life.  In that store the people who worked there were a total mix of men and women, both gay and straight, but everyone was open minded, tolerant of all others and non judgemental of anyone as long as one was tolerant of them.  I never before and never since felt so totally accepted by by a group of people as I did then.

That is what makes this forum so great, at least in my life I do not encounter such a great mix of people, who at least in my experience, do not normally get together.  But BBM has brought together a mix of people who are nonjudgemental, not petty, and are so accepting of others.   I hope that  I am expressing myself in a way that makes sense.  I just wanted to explain it, and I do so wish I had joined this little world sooner because I can tell it truly is  wonderful. 

I hope I am making sense to you.

(And as a newbie, if any of you ever still want to discuss why TS2 is the most increible few minutes of film ever, well here I am)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:54:05 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2007, 06:42:45 pm »

I hope that  I am expressing myself  in a way that makes sense.  I just wanted to explain it, and I do so wish I had joined this little world sooner because I can tell it truly is  wonderful. 

I hope I am making sense to you.

You are, very much so, I hope to see lots and lots and lots more of you!
xxx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/