Author Topic: Song Suggestions for BBM Radio!!  (Read 628644 times)

mvansand76

Re: Song Suggestions for BBM Radio!!
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2007, 06:31:52 am »
You know "Beautiful"? I made a request for that a couple a months ago (pay attention there Eric!! - that's two of us making the same request) Have you heard his version of "Me & Bobby McGee"? He released that song some six months before Janis Joplin had a hit with it. It a very lovely version of Kris Kristofferson's song.

Do I know Beautiful? I heard him sing it on stage last week (and I met him after the show)!  :D
I love everything Gordon Lightfoot, I am probably his biggest fan outside Canada and the US! LOL! I loooooove "Beautiful", it's one of his best songs. If you love that, you will definitely LOVE "Can't depend on love", here are the lyrics (it really is Ennis's song):

I spent most of my life outside in the driving rain
I was only trying to get by with some of life's amenities
Well nothing's free
I got more than I bargained for, now it's plain to see
I can't depend on love to defend me

It took most of my time to do what never was done
I was on the outside of an inside kind of love that now is gone
Come right or wrong
It was laid to rest that way, I hate to be unkind
Pretending is for strangers who don't know you

I spent most of my life outside in the driving rain
I was in some one-horse town just waiting for a plane to take me back
Now where's that at
I paid the price, well ain't that nice, knowing I'm so free
I got more than I bargained for, now it's plain to see

Also agree on "Me and Bobby McGee" and "Nous vivons ensemble", they are beautiful....and do you also know "Talking in your sleep?" God, I adore that song!

I am sorry, I can't stop talking about Gordon Lightfoot, I am just so excited to find people who love his songs too! I always say that if Gordon Lightfoot, Alison Krauss and Gustavo had done the soundtrack of BBM together, the movie would have been perfect!  ;)

And yes, Eric, please play Beautiful on BBM Radio!

mvansand76

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2007, 06:41:32 am »
Here are some pictures of the concert I went to!

On stage:

:D

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2007, 06:52:03 am »
Well Mel (it is Mel, right?) you are not alone.

Talking in your Sleep was the follow-up single to 'If you Could Read my Mind' and the song always puts me through the hoops.

I listen to AM740 in Toronto (not so much on weekends cause that's when they sell time instead a playin good music) and they recently had a survey of listeners's preferences (it's a REAL oldies station) #1 Frank Sinatra, #2 Elvis, #3 Dean Martin (?!!), #4 Nat King Cole, #5 Glenn Miller - well you get the picture - The highest placing Canadians were Paul Anka #22 and Gordon Lightfoot at #23, so I'm hardly the only Lightfoot fan. - You can get the station on the internet now (only since Christmas) and I've already turned 'ifyoucanfixit' onto that station.

Have you heard his last CD? pretty good stuff - better than most a what he's released in the past 20 years. Highlights are 'Inspiration Lady' and 'Harmony'
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

mvansand76

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2007, 07:06:28 am »
Well Mel (it is Mel, right?) you are not alone.

Talking in your Sleep was the follow-up single to 'If you Could Read my Mind' and the song always puts me through the hoops.

I listen to AM740 in Toronto (not so much on weekends cause that's when they sell time instead a playin good music) and they recently had a survey of listeners's preferences (it's a REAL oldies station) #1 Frank Sinatra, #2 Elvis, #3 Dean Martin (?!!), #4 Nat King Cole, #5 Glenn Miller - well you get the picture - The highest placing Canadians were Paul Anka #22 and Gordon Lightfoot at #23, so I'm hardly the only Lightfoot fan. - You can get the station on the internet now (only since Christmas) and I've already turned 'ifyoucanfixit' onto that station.

Have you heard his last CD? pretty good stuff - better than most a what he's released in the past 20 years. Highlights are 'Inspiration Lady' and 'Harmony'

Thank God I am not the only one!  :) I sometimes think I am because when I told my co-workers here they had no clue who he was and even a lot of Americans don't seem to know him. But you are Canadian, right? Have you always listened to his music? I grew up with it, because my dad was a fan, so even before I could speak English, I could sing along with his songs. My parents last saw him in concert in the Netherlands in 1975! When I met him last week I gave him a picture my parent's had taken at that concert and he had fond memories of Amsterdam! LOL.

He made a joke at the concert last week, he said that Elvis did a cover (is that the word?) of his song "Early morning rain" and that he changed one word in the lyrics, he changed 'can' into 'might'. He thought it was a pretty good change...

I haven't yet listened to his new cd that much, I am a sucker for the old stuff, his voice is so beautiful in the early years, I cannot describe what I feel when I hear his voice. Sadly, his voice has deteriorated and I noticed that at the concert he had a lot of trouble with his voice. But it was still Gordon Lightfoot! And he never sang out of tune.

I am listening to AM740 right now, thanks for the rec!

Mel

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2007, 07:27:45 am »
Thank God I am not the only one!  :) I sometimes think I am because when I told my co-workers here they had no clue who he was and even a lot of Americans don't seem to know him. But you are Canadian, right? Have you always listened to his music? I grew up with it, because my dad was a fan, so even before I could speak English, I could sing along with his songs. My parents last saw him in concert in the Netherlands in 1975! When I met him last week I gave him a picture my parent's had taken at that concert and he had fond memories of Amsterdam! LOL.

He made a joke at the concert last week, he said that Elvis did a cover (is that the word?) of his song "Early morning rain" and that he changed one word in the lyrics, he changed 'can' into 'might'. He thought it was a pretty good change...

I haven't yet listened to his new cd that much, I am a sucker for the old stuff, his voice is so beautiful in the early years, I cannot describe what I feel when I hear his voice. Sadly, his voice has deteriorated and I noticed that at the concert he had a lot of trouble with his voice. But it was still Gordon Lightfoot! And he never sang out of tune.

I am listening to AM740 right now, thanks for the rec!

Mel

Well I'm listening to 'Talking in your Sleep' so I got you beat! AM740's not got anything much fer another 2 and a half hours taday - tune in at 10 (local time = 2 pm, yer time)

Best time to listen to AM740 is during the night - between 12:00 and 6:00 am (4:00 and 10:00 yer time) - no commercials.

Back to Gordon - they play a lot of Lightfoot on local stations - they have to play 40% canadian music, so for oldies music, there's not much to chose from. They even play the stuff he released as singles in the early 60's - stuff like '(Remember Me) I'm the One' and 'Negociations' from 1962. They were playing his music way before 1970 here - had some success in Canada with songs like 'Black Day in July', 'The Way I Feel', 'The First Time Ever I Saw her Face' and the Canadian classic 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy'

Back to the 'Summerside of Life' album - the one that contains 'Talking in your Sleep' - I also really like 'Cabaret'. He does infuse a lot a Canadiana in his music.

I got a lot of his stuff on the computer (mp3). If yer looking fer something, maybe I can share - send me a PM with any specific request.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

mvansand76

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2007, 07:53:50 am »
Well I'm listening to 'Talking in your Sleep' so I got you beat! AM740's not got anything much fer another 2 and a half hours taday - tune in at 10 (local time = 2 pm, yer time)

Best time to listen to AM740 is during the night - between 12:00 and 6:00 am (4:00 and 10:00 yer time) - no commercials.

Back to Gordon - they play a lot of Lightfoot on local stations - they have to play 40% canadian music, so for oldies music, there's not much to chose from. They even play the stuff he released as singles in the early 60's - stuff like '(Remember Me) I'm the One' and 'Negociations' from 1962. They were playing his music way before 1970 here - had some success in Canada with songs like 'Black Day in July', 'The Way I Feel', 'The First Time Ever I Saw her Face' and the Canadian classic 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy'

Back to the 'Summerside of Life' album - the one that contains 'Talking in your Sleep' - I also really like 'Cabaret'. He does infuse a lot a Canadiana in his music.

I got a lot of his stuff on the computer (mp3). If yer looking fer something, maybe I can share - send me a PM with any specific request.

Summerside of Life also has "Miguel", which shows how well he can tell stories in his songs, I love that about him.

Do you know Knotty Pine and Whispers of the North? They are both from "Salute". I don't know, but when I listen to these two songs, I get such feelings of nostalgia... it makes me sad and happy at the same time, just like BBM I guess...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2007, 08:06:56 am »
Summerside of Life also has "Miguel", which shows how well he can tell stories in his songs, I love that about him.

Do you know Knotty Pine and Whispers of the North? They are both from "Salute". I don't know, but when I listen to these two songs, I get such feelings of nostalgia... it makes me sad and happy at the same time, just like BBM I guess...

No I don't - Don't know the album 'Salute' - If you have em on yer computer in mp3, you could send em ta my e-mail adress (in my profile!)

Noticed you've changed yer avatar!

Who's the other person with you on the picture with Lightfoot? seems I've seen her before.

Did you know, that before Lightfoot hit it big in the US (with If You Could Read My Mind), The Guess Who (from Winnipeg) started their huge career with "These Eyes" - on the flipside of that record was a tune they had penned called "Lighfoot" in honor of our man.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:12:33 am by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2007, 01:38:36 am »
This is an interesting conversation about Gordon Lightfoot, Mel and Roland, thanks.  I remember when If You Could Read My Mind was big.  It was so different, and so beautiful and real.  And what a voice.  I'm glad you got to meet him, Mel.

mvansand76

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2007, 04:47:11 am »
This is an interesting conversation about Gordon Lightfoot, Mel and Roland, thanks.  I remember when If You Could Read My Mind was big.  It was so different, and so beautiful and real.  And what a voice.  I'm glad you got to meet him, Mel.

Hey! Yeah, that is what is so captivating, his voice, especially in the early days, is so incredible. That in combination with the stories he tells in his songs... he really is my hero.... And so well said, his songs are so different and beautiful and real....

Hey I am gonna try that youtube link and post one of the short videos I shot at the concert, here he is singing 'Beautiful'...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaTp1GpYATE[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:39:32 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2007, 02:41:11 pm »
here he is singing 'Beautiful'...

Oh!  I DO know that song.  Beautiful.  :)