Author Topic: Cold Case: Forever Blue  (Read 64242 times)

injest

Re: Cold Case: Forever Blue
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2009, 07:54:28 pm »
It will never be old stuff to me. This was one spectacular show....as you say a masterpiece!!! Thanks for the picture and the interview. I have never seen that picture before. I would have really liked to have seen this transformed into a movie which truly could have been done. Who knows maybe one day it will be. Being gay as a policeman certainly would not have been easy in the 60s and it would not be easy now either. The same goes for firemen. It seems that many of these groups are forgotten since they are so dissimilar from the stereotypical idea that a gay person is an interior decorator, etc. The same of course goes for being a cowboy as was shown in Brokeback. The world really needs to realize all the many places and professions gay people do exist and maybe it would be easier for the general population to accept in the long run.

you are right..

instead we get 'Bruno'... :-\

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2009, 09:08:47 pm »
It seems that many of these groups are forgotten since they are so dissimilar from the stereotypical idea that a gay person is an interior decorator, etc. The same of course goes for being a cowboy as was shown in Brokeback. The world really needs to realize all the many places and professions gay people do exist and maybe it would be easier for the general population to accept in the long run.

Correct. Nobody thinks about policemen and firemen when the word "gay" comes up in conversation.

I think the biggest reason for the lack of sexual minorities in certain traditionally-male professions is the fear of homophobia. This is similar to the way that certain types of blacks avoid careers and companies that appear to be lily-white for fear of racism. If some of these gay men were as "proud" as they claim, they wouldn't avoid these careers. The leadership and rank-and-file of the orthodox gay community would be doing young sexual minorities a service by encouraging them to a more diverse range of career choices.

Of course it would help if more attention was placed on ending workplace discrimination for sexual minorities. But the Gay Party has always had a skewed set of priorities IMO.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

injest

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:37 pm »
Correct. Nobody thinks about policemen and firemen when the word "gay" comes up in conversation.

I think the biggest reason for the lack of sexual minorities in certain traditionally-male professions is the fear of homophobia. This is similar to the way that certain types of blacks avoid careers and companies that appear to be lily-white for fear of racism. If some of these gay men were as "proud" as they claim, they wouldn't avoid these careers. The leadership and rank-and-file of the orthodox gay community would be doing young sexual minorities a service by encouraging them to a more diverse range of career choices.

Of course it would help if more attention was placed on ending workplace discrimination for sexual minorities. But the Gay Party has always had a skewed set of priorities IMO.

huh..

this just recently came up for me. We have an opening in the company I work for...making good money, all days, good work environment...I have a friend that works in retail...shaky job market, cruel boss, late nights, weekends, heavy responsibility...

he wouldn't even come apply because we dont' currently have any other Black men working there...

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2009, 12:54:29 pm »
Some of you may have heard of him, Fabrizio Caiazza, the openly gay Italian cop. I really admire this guy.
He was on the Italian news last year.

From www.Guardian.co.uk  September last year:
Caiazza, 33, entered the 'Sex Factor' contest organised by UK website Gaydarnation.com earlier this year, donning his police uniform to pose for online shots in the Mr Uniform category. Beating 46,000 contenders from 162 countries, he scooped a modelling contract and a €15,000 top prize, only to be sent before a disciplinary board back in Milan for wearing his uniform without permission outside office hours.

Here's an interview:

http://http://www.rainbownetwork.com/UserPortal/Article/Detail.aspx?ID=21458&sid=74[url]
BbM, I swear

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2009, 01:43:20 pm »
only to be sent before a disciplinary board back in Milan for wearing his uniform without permission outside office hours.

http://http://www.rainbownetwork.com/UserPortal/Article/Detail.aspx?ID=21458&sid=74[url]

Good effort, but slightly off target. If he wants to change Italian's minds about sexual minorities, appearing on the cover of a gay magazine isn't going to have much effect because most of the readers are gay--preaching to the choir. What would have a greater impact is to appear on a mainstream magazine cover.

And why oh why didn't clear the uniform usage beforehand??
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2009, 02:33:15 am »
Wearing his uniform  for the contest shots I agree wasn't the right thing to do, that applies to anyone. IMO for him at the  time that didn't seem a problem as he didn't think he'd win.
After the event was reported on the news he has appeared as a guest on important TV programmes to support the gay cause. His aim is to form an Italian gay police support group.
BbM, I swear

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2009, 08:52:04 am »
Good effort, but slightly off target. If he wants to change Italian's minds about sexual minorities, appearing on the cover of a gay magazine isn't going to have much effect because most of the readers are gay--preaching to the choir. What would have a greater impact is to appear on a mainstream magazine cover.

And why oh why didn't clear the uniform usage beforehand??

Good point Milo! The impact would have been greater on a mainstream magazine cover. I think in ways it would be hard to be a cop and gay on both fronts. The police force does not seem to be the best place to be gay and I will add that about the fire department as well. However, as I discovered this past summer, there are many gay people who apparently have a big problem with the police. This must stem from many, many years ago with things like the riots in San Francisco and New York. I know I was confronted in the Castro area because I was wearing a Dallas police department tshirt. This man was very angry that I would wear something like that in Castro and he let me know that things like that were not tolerated there. He kept following me around confronting me about it until I finally told him to go on and leave me alone. So the Castro area is my least favorite part of San Francisco. I was wearing the shirt because I have a friend who is on the DPD. I was not making a statement about anything. This past summer I mentioned this instance to someone and I created quite an argument concerning how horrible the police are and how they are always out to hurt and discriminate against gay people. Obviously this is a generalization similar to the one about all gay people act like the stereotype. However, there was no changing this person's mind about that.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2009, 10:41:26 pm »
However, as I discovered this past summer, there are many gay people who apparently have a big problem with the police. This must stem from many, many years ago with things like the riots in San Francisco and New York. I know I was confronted in the Castro area because I was wearing a Dallas police department tshirt. This man was very angry that I would wear something like that in Castro and he let me know that things like that were not tolerated there. He kept following me around confronting me about it until I finally told him to go on and leave me alone. So the Castro area is my least favorite part of San Francisco. I was wearing the shirt because I have a friend who is on the DPD. I was not making a statement about anything. This past summer I mentioned this instance to someone and I created quite an argument concerning how horrible the police are and how they are always out to hurt and discriminate against gay people.

I know what you mean. I hear that same bullshit from certain black people. Not surprisingly, they are the blacks that are in/of the ghetto. And the Castro is a huge gay ghetto. The bottom line is that if you're nose is clean, you have nothing to fear from police.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »
I know what you mean. I hear that same bullshit from certain black people. Not surprisingly, they are the blacks that are in/of the ghetto. And the Castro is a huge gay ghetto. The bottom line is that if you're nose is clean, you have nothing to fear from police.

Exactly Milo. Good point.