Author Topic: Happy Birthday to j.U.d.E  (Read 20466 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Happy Birthday to j.U.d.E
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 02:35:18 pm »
 :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Even when they're being naughty, they're adorable!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 03:01:09 pm »
Very cute!  They look so happy chomping on their kill!  (I made this my first comment on YouTube).  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 03:27:53 pm »
Jude, I can't remember if I told you that this year i made the decision to find a new home for my cat, because I have been allergic to her for four years, after a lifetime of living and snuggling with cats. 

Well for her, the story has a happy ending, or transition - she is living with a wonderful, single massage therapist who seems to be giving her a life of little balls to bat, special pillows by the window, and all the free massage she can soak up.

But for me, I am catless.  :(  So I have decided to become one of those aunties that some women get to be.  I will dote on other people's cats, mostly from afar. :)  Brokie and Sayif and Sayif's two siblings, R.I.P., have provided me with so much vicarious kitty pleasure.

Thank you so much for your wonderrful photos, and now videos, of them.

Clarissa

:-*

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 03:56:06 pm »
Thank you very much everyone!

I'm not going to bother you much more, but this, I HAD to share with you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxo5si-L2zc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc8LwJHB9EQ

And that was the result -

Totally agree DeeDee!  ;D

j. U. d. E.

Those vids are sooo.. cute. I also love the one of safif (?) sleeping and not waking up that you've also posted on youtube!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 11:07:24 pm »
Jude, I just watched those kitty videos. Your cats are so cute!! I could watch them all day long.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

Christopher Smart on his cat
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 01:26:35 pm »
All this talk on matters feline got me thinking of a poem I read over the weekend, by Christopher Smart (1722-1771), namely, on which he considers his cat Jeoffry (this, bear in mind, is only an excerpt of the original, quite long text):

For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry.
For he is the servant of the Living God duly and daily serving him.
For at the first glance of the glory of God in the East he worships in his way.
For this is done by wreathing his body seven times round with elegant quickness.
For then he leaps up to catch the musk, which is the blessing of God upon his prayer.
For he rolls upon prank to work it in.
For having done duty and received blessing he begins to consider himself.
For this he performs in ten degrees.
For first he looks upon his forepaws to see if they are clean.
For secondly he kicks up behind to clear away there.
For thirdly he works it upon stretch with the forepaws extended.
For fourthly he sharpens his paws by wood.
For fifthly he washes himself.
For sixthly he rolls upon wash.
For seventhly he fleas himself, that he may not be interrupted upon the beat.
For eighthly he rubs himself against a post.
For ninthly he looks up for his instructions.
For tenthly he goes in quest of food.
For having consider'd God and himself he will consider his neighbour.
For if he meets another cat he will kiss her in kindness.
For when he takes his prey he plays with it to give it a chance.
For one mouse in seven escapes by his dallying.
For when his day's work is done his business more properly begins.
For he keeps the Lord's watch in the night against the adversary.
For he counteracts the powers of darkness by his electrical skin and glaring eyes.
For he counteracts the Devil, who is death, by brisking about the life.
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him.
For he is of the tribe of Tiger.
For the Cherub Cat is a term of the Angel Tiger.
For he has the subtlety and hissing of a serpent, which in goodness he suppresses.
For he will not do destruction, if he is well-fed, neither will he spit without provocation.
For he purrs in thankfulness, when God tells him he's a good Cat.

Offline j.U.d.E.

Re: Christopher Smart on his cat
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 07:39:03 pm »
All this talk on matters feline got me thinking of a poem I read over the weekend, by Christopher Smart (1722-1771), namely, on which he considers his cat Jeoffry (this, bear in mind, is only an excerpt of the original, quite long text):

[..]

Believe it or not Scott, but as I am reading Smart's poem, Brokie came along to 'check on me'. I had the time to take this picture and she's gone again..

I love this poem, by the way! I'd say all of it is true except -

For having consider'd God and himself he will consider his neighbour.
For if he meets another cat he will kiss her in kindness
No Way! It's a messy fight. Brokie and Sayif are scared by this black stray, so much so that he even takes residence in my flat, when I'm away [I caught him 'in flagranti', when I came home one noon, unexpectedly.. He rushed out and my cats came out from under my bed, very hesitantly..  :(] and he eats their food!

For when he takes his prey he plays with it to give it a chance.
For one mouse in seven escapes by his dallying.

Well, so far, it only happened once! I shouted so much, chased them out of the bathroom - that's where they and the mouse were - I caught the mouse, locked my cats back into the bathroom, released the mouse as much away from my garden as possible and let the cats back out of the bathroom.. I think they got the fact, that I didn't like being presented with a live mouse (better though, than half eaten..). Brokie does still bring back all kinds of things, but nothing with a face or heartbeat.. *fingerscrossed-it-stays-that-way*

For he will not do destruction, if he is well-fed, neither will he spit without provocation.
Hmm.. not quite agreeing..  ;) I don't stop feeding these cats (too afraid they'll die, like the other two..) and it doesn't stop them from knocking things over and distroying paper..  ;D

j. U. d. E.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:44:01 pm by j. U. d. E. »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

moremojo

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 07:48:47 pm »
I just had to let you know, j.U.d.E., what a connection I felt seeing that picture of Brokie in front of your computer screen, with my post being read and quizzically considered. It made this community we have formed online seem so real, to a degree that I haven't quite felt apart from actually meeting some of you guys face to face. There's a little bit of me floating around all over the world, really affecting people's lives! That just makes me so happy! :D :D :D

Now, onto Mr. Smart's opus, I too couldn't quite recognize my Smooch, Zoot, and Chelsea in everything he was writing. But remember, Smart apparently suffered from a mental illness--which no doubt accounts for the even longer original version of this curious poem!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 10:16:22 pm »
Thank you Meryl and Kelda for your comments on YouTube! I like the 'sinking-teeth-into-paper' action a lot too!  :D  Thank you David and Fabienne - they are cute, naughty and adorable - just like you!  :-*

Clarissa! That's the sweetest thing I've read! So you are my cats' long-distance auntie!  :D  I think you deserve a *cat-auntie* medal! I will let Brokie and Sayif know! I love these cats to bits and I'm happy I could share this with fellow Brokies. I'm proud Brokie and Sayif provided you with 'kitty pleasure'!  I have added a few pictures in memory of Sama' and Sahaba.

[Black stray cat just came in.. It's freezing cold outside and I can't just chase it away.. My cats are somewhere sleeping..]..

I'm sorry to read though, that you have been allergic and that you had to give away your cat. I did not know! That's too sad, but it seem as if you have found it a wonderful new home! That must be very comforting. You are lucky to have found someone you like to take your cat, though it must have been a really heartrending moment! How did you manage?!

You see, my working contract ends in June and if I don't want to be unemployed I should start looking for a new job NOW! The thing is, it's not easy to find anything that interests me here in Brussels (I'm being picky and a little scared too, that I'm not 'good enough') so I'd really really like to try and find work somewhere outside Europe (places where you don't take along pets, children etc.) - I've done it before and worked in a post-conflicht country for 6 monhts. But I actually purposely don't apply to positions that might be interesting, out of fear, they might take me(!), because I just DON'T know what I'd do with my cats! How do you give away your pet?! Aaah! The thought alone kills me, but right now it seems to be getting in the way of my future. It sucks! I think if I knew for how long I would be going abroad I'd try to rent my flat together with my cats, if it was only for 6 months or a year. But it will be way difficult to find a tenant who'd want to 'rent' two cats with the flat. Stupid really! But I have this troubling me every single day!

Da*n! I need to get my act together!!  :-\

By the way - I love massaging my cats (don't know if they like it, but they don't run away, so..  :))

j. U. d. E.

I picked BROKIE, SAMA', SAHABA and SAYIF up from the street on July 4th 2006

SAHABA (back), SAYIF (middle), SAMA' (front)

SAMA'(?), SAYIF (already sleeping paws up!), BROKIE

BROKIE, SAYIF, SAMA', SAHABA

SAMA', SAHABA(?) - so skinny!

SAHABA

SAMA'(?)

SAHABA

SAMA', SAYIF, SAHABA

SAHABA on 28 July 2006 (he died on 31 July..)

SAYIF caring for his sick brother SAHABA (BROKIE shunned him at this point..  SAMA' had already died on 26 July .. :'()

How much BROKIE changed!
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 01:06:21 am »
For eleventhly he poses for photos that bring joy around the world.

:)

Thank you Scott for lyrics and Jude for music. :)

Jude, do you have craigslist in Brussels?  It could be the place to find a wonderful person who wants the apartment and the cats for the right amount of time.  It's possible.