Author Topic: Question About the Lake Scene  (Read 11200 times)

Offline jakefan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Question About the Lake Scene
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:10:51 pm »
I just watched finished watching the movie (again) and I noticed something that I did not notice before.  At the Lake Scene, Jack says to Ennis that he'll head on up to Lightning Flat to visit the folks for a day or two.  Right after he says this, he pauses and looks at Ennis for a second like he's waiting for a response from him.  We find out at the end of the movie that Jack talked about Ennis to his parents, so I was thinking that Jack was hoping Ennis would want to come with him.   

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Question About the Lake Scene
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:26:55 pm »
Maybe he was hoping Ennis'd come, sure .. although he might've known that Ennis was not going to do so.
I think he was also very broken up about leaving Ennis again (and at that point, he thought they were going to meet up again in August) .. Hard to imagine all the sad goodbyes year after year ..  :-\

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:37:21 pm »
I think Jack knew that Ennis could not go, he only had so much time he could take off work. Perhaps he was leading on for another time.

Speaking of that scene, can you see how when Ennis falls to the ground it was made from two takes?
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jakefan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 06:08:09 pm »
No, I didn't see that.  Really?  I can't believe I haven't noticed this.  How can you tell?  Please explain!   

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:28:59 pm »
No, I didn't see that.  Really?  I can't believe I haven't noticed this.  How can you tell?  Please explain!   

If you look Heath left elbow is bent against Jakes left shoulder, then dissapears invisable  against Jakes chest, then reappears as he hits the ground with his hand nearly agains his own face. Similar to the lack of contuintiy Just before the punch at the scen at Brokeback.

Mark

--Modified to fix embedded quote problem--Lynne
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:46:49 pm by Lynne »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jakefan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:42:56 pm »
I can't wait to see this the next time I watch the movie.  I wonder if any of the other scenes are done this way?

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 02:59:56 am »
jakefan:

I'm offering the following thought about the subtle moment you mention in your original post - from my
past days on the IMDb board.

A wonderful moment I'd missed before is in the final Lake Scene morning conversation between Ennis and Jack. It's obvious they are uneasy about having to leave each other's company again, but something in Jack's attitude to Ennis makes me realize that Jack is totally aware that Ennis has been keeping something from him all week - the info that he won't be able to join him in August. It's so subtle, but Jack waits patiently for Ennis to say something after having loaded the equipment in his truck and makes some phatic small talk, trying to give Ennis some space and coax the courage out of Ennis to declare what Jack sees is difficult for him to say.

In so much of this film I am rarely aware that the characters are 'acting' and this is one of the supreme moments. So little is said or displayed, but so much is conveyed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:47:11 pm by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:51:02 am »
My take on Jack's mood is that he's still hurt from the night before when he told Ennis that sometimes he misses him so much he can hardly stand it and Ennis didn't respond.  And that he's mad about the goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation it is to always have to leave each other, and how that situation is Ennis's fault.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:07:59 pm »
My take on what I refer to as "the joint passing scene", Jack has told Ennis this story about the ranch forman's wife and all, then he says "The truth is..." and after a pregnant pause where he probably thinks better of telling the intended truth, he tells Ennis he misses his so much he can hardly stand it. Then the next day in the parking lot, he does seem to expect something to happen, some relevation, in the story "this said and unsaid".
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 11:32:33 pm »
I totally agree,

I also did think the 'the truth is...' was the ranch foreman, not his wife.  Why would Jack have paused so long to say I miss you so much.  I think he was upset with E. telling him about Cassie, but again I think Jack didn't really notice what Ennis was saying to him.  I don't think he heard Ennis's little mumble and "I don't know" after saying '  I have been putting the blocks on ...."  To me it meant the Ennis was really telling him that neither Cassie nor anyone else but Jack could ever mean anything, but Jack didn't get this and he was going to tell Ennis about Randall but then decided he better not.

Would have been some scene if he did....