Author Topic: Question About the Lake Scene  (Read 11293 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Question About the Lake Scene
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 01:11:13 am »
The fact that they can sit there and discuss sexual escapades with women and not (apparently) show jealousy, yet when E finds out about Mexico, he flips out...that speaks volumes.

Yes, it does. They can screw all the women they want, and that doesn't violate their "one-shot deal"--the only guys they have sex with are each other.

But Jack going off to Mexico for the purpose of getting mansex. ... Unh-unh.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 11:56:04 am »
Wow, I love the way that we all see something different in even the smallest nuanes of this film.

In this scene my feeling is that Jack has no intention of telling Ennis about Randall (or whoever else he might have been seeing). I think that when Jack begins "The truth is..." he intends to finish the sentence with a more heartfelt expression of his feelings, or a resurection of his belief that they can have a life together. However, knowing Ennis (and his skittishness) Jack tones it down to "... I miss you so much I can hardly stand it" (which is still a pretty strong declartion).

Just my ha-penny's worth.

Karen

that is the way I saw it...that Jack got choked on what he wanted to say and all that would come out was "I miss you so bad...."

injest

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 11:59:09 am »
Hello,

That was what Jack always wanted, for Ennis to say  "Can I go with you?, but he never did.  But remember,  the next best thing was there in L.F.,   the shirts.

Ladyeve

Hi Ladyeve!!!

welcome to Bettermost...

:)

injest

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 12:01:39 pm »
The fact that they can sit there and discuss sexual escapades with women and not (apparently) show jealousy, yet when E finds out about Mexico, he flips out...that speaks volumes.

exactly..

because they both knew those other things were not important and didn't threaten their relationship...

I think Ennis was probably getting more stiff and nervous as the week went on..knowing he was cancelling August...but didn't want Jack to be mad at him; didn't want to argue so he tried to keep it hid til the last moment...and I think Jack picked up on that...

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 01:19:30 am »
One thing that stands out to me when I watch the FLS, is that it seems Ennis is 'challenging' Jack with regards to August - he says something to the effect that he 'has to work' and 'can't get the time off' then, 'I can't quit this one' and he kind of shrugs. That moment always strikes me as challenging or defiant on Ennis' part, as if to say, 'ok Jack, I am presenting you with an impossible situation - how are you going to fix this one?' Anyone else experience this perspective at that particular moment or have further insights?
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 10:46:39 am »
One thing that stands out to me when I watch the FLS, is that it seems Ennis is 'challenging' Jack with regards to August - he says something to the effect that he 'has to work' and 'can't get the time off' then, 'I can't quit this one' and he kind of shrugs. That moment always strikes me as challenging or defiant on Ennis' part, as if to say, 'ok Jack, I am presenting you with an impossible situation - how are you going to fix this one?' Anyone else experience this perspective at that particular moment or have further insights?

Yes, I think you're right. I never thought about it consciously before, but now that you mention it that's how it strikes me, too.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 03:12:11 pm »
Thanks, ineedcrayons (great moniker by the way!) - it's an interesting moment...are we sensing Ennis' frustration with the entire situation with Jack or is it something more?
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 10:52:38 am »
It is certainly a pivotal moment. Literally. Isn't that the place where the camera pivots to show Ennis behind Jack one one side, out of focus, and then on the other side, sharp? Jack obviously makes a decision there, but it's debatable what it is.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 06:05:05 pm »
Maybe he was hoping Ennis'd come, sure .. although he might've known that Ennis was not going to do so.
I think he was also very broken up about leaving Ennis again (and at that point, he thought they were going to meet up again in August) .. Hard to imagine all the sad goodbyes year after year ..  :-\

No so hard if you have been there and done that!
Still hurts a lot though. :'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"